Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2003, 23:01   #46

Post Re: Owd Pastimes

[quote author=janet link=board=nostalgia;num=1060000403;start=40#44 date=08/19/03 at 23:44:54]remember playing tunes on a comb with a piece of toilet tissue izal made the best tunes. i also had lots of fun with a spud gun.[/quote]

I hated that sound >

It used to go right through me... ;D ;D
Old 20-08-2003, 02:47   #47
Caz
God Member

I remember the hoola hoop craze, back in the fifties, was the first one in our school to get one.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2003, 20:13   #48
Accy Goddess

I to ad an hoola hoop. Was to fat to do any hoolaing. Liked to play skipping with it.
Remember bean bags and these round rubber rings. What were they called?
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2003, 21:06   #49
Caz
God Member

Didn't they call those rubber rings coits or something like that?
First thing I remember from school PE is those small plastic balls with the the holes in.

Music & Movement & the Nutcracker Suite, Coppelia & all that.

Triangles, tambourines, marracas & castanets. We thought we were making wonderful music.

Do you remember "I love to go a wandering with a knapsack on my back?  Used to sing that at infant school all the time.

Being milk monitor. Taking the tops off and putting the straws in. any left over you got first chance at it!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 20-08-2003, 21:24   #50
Resting in Peace

Being the ink monitor was best going round all the desks filling the little ink wells
what a mess you could make  ;D ;D
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2003, 22:39   #51
Caz
God Member

Ah yes! And The pens which were just basically a stick with a replaceable nib on the end. And blotting paper. Never see that now do you!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 20-08-2003, 23:45   #52
Accy Goddess

Coits, thats it. Waltzing Matilda that was another, we were always singing. Bean bags and those red, green, yellow and blue bands for marking teams.
Clapping games in the yard. Like a sailor went to see, see,see and rubber dolly. Do you remember those, Cazzer ?.
Old 21-08-2003, 00:18   #53
Caz
God Member

Certainly do, and playing games like filmstars or popstars, where you were given initials and had to guess who it was. then run to the wall first , then you were on!

Hey we're in the wrong column here have you noticed!! ;D

- Oscar Wilde
Old 21-08-2003, 00:24   #54
Accy Goddess

Thats the trouble when you start remanising you start veering off the question in hand. Its gettin time i was remembering the way to bed.
Old 02-09-2003, 21:17   #55
Senior Member+

Anybody remember Kerbie? Throwing the ball acroos the road to get it to bounce on the kerb.If it come back and you caught it double points.Better than any PS2 if ya ask me
Old 02-09-2003, 21:22   #56
I am Banned

KERBIE .. My kids still play it.. I even join in if I am out there and bored..

One on each side of rd taking turns to throw at apposing kerb

Its ten points if you hit the kerb dead on and it bounces back.. You then get to stand in middle of rd and take closer shots at 5pts each..

BUT if you miss you have to get back to your side of the rd before your apponant gets the ball and throws it at you.. because if they hit you before your back then they get all your points.

Never  even heard of it when I was at school.. must be an accy thing ?
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 21:22   #57
Caz
God Member

My 13yr olds still play that now.
The old ones are still the best  

Still playing jacks too.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 03-09-2003, 23:09   #58
Accy Goddess

Sounds like some thing that sounds like an updated version of the old game pounds shillings and pence Harry. Dont know if you remember that or not very popular when i was about mm 7 or eight ish. Give or take.
Old 03-09-2003, 23:32   #59
I am Banned

That wasn't a game.. pounds shilling and pence was real life.. Ohh the way we got ripped off when they changed to decimilisation.

Sorry but I am a pound shilling and pence person.. Bring it all back i say.. Stuff all this 10 of everything stuff. decimilisation is for lazy people who can't devide by 12

HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 14:05   #60
Senior Member+

used to love playing with a top and whip, drawing fancy patterns on the top with chalk.hop scotch, cannon.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..