Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 17:58   #91
God Member

Re: Owd Pastimes

i remember emptying my mums cupboards and playing shops with my sister, my gran used to save the tops off sterilsed milk bottles and give them us to play with, cant remember what we did with them though, and when i was really young i used to get my mums wooden spoon and pans and pretend they where drums
Old 12-03-2007, 20:11   #92
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i remember emptying my mums cupboards and playing shops with my sister, my gran used to save the tops off sterilsed milk bottles and give them us to play with, cant remember what we did with them though, and when i was really young i used to get my mums wooden spoon and pans and pretend they where drums
We used to put two carboard milk bottle tops together and make pom poms with bits of old wool..
We used to put four nails in the top of a used bobbin of cotton and wind wool round it,then flip it over each nail with a pin .. it looked like a sausage comming down the hole, but it kept us happy for hours
Old 12-03-2007, 20:20   #93
Beacon of light

Granny, they called that 'french knitting'....used to do it........ but never made it into anything very exciting.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 22:32   #94
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just remembered, we used to balance empty milkbottles on door handles,then knock n hide around the corner. happy days.
Old 02-04-2007, 22:37   #95

we used to call it nik nak
chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 22:39   #96

to see wot e could see see see, I remember that
chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:54   #97
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
we used to call it nik nak
there crisp arnt they? ................
Old 21-04-2007, 22:02   #98
God Member

Anyone remember a game called "Owzat" played with hexagonal (I think) die. One guy rolled as the batter, and the other rolled the bowler. I remember buying a set at E. J. Riley's in Accy. I think. Anyway the store was down by the viaduct on Blackburn Rd.

There is a Canadian version of nik nak: Fill one large brown paper bag with doggie doo, place the bag on someone's doorstep, light it, pound on the door and yell "fire", take off and run like stink. Maybe peek back and watch whoever comes out stomp on the bag. Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone of you would like to try it on the way home from the pub.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 16:06   #99

I Once Peged A Rug It Was Fun But Now The Accyweb Has Took Its Place
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 15:32   #100

Does anyone remember those 2 balls, one on each end of a sting. first of all you would make them bang together at the bottom then make them `clack`as you got faster. Were they called `clackers`?

And power balls, small black hard as iron balls that you only bounced once as it would disapear somewhere miles away in the long grass

And dont forget elastic skipping, you would get a long piece of elastic tie it and place it around two pair of your mates legs, then continue to do certain movements entwining the elastic with your feet , then jump out
Old 14-03-2008, 23:34   #101
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzer View Post
Piece of brghtly coloured card on a string. used to wind the string round and round, then pull - made a lovely whirring sound.

3-balls, against the wall, allsorts of variations on the throw!
Can still do that now!

Jacks, elastic, two rope skipping.

Allsorts of schoolyard games - anyone bring some to mind?
just had me memory jogged by a photo in observer, a schoolyard game that was very enjoyable i reckon- Kiss Catch, the lads would stand in middle of junior school yard n the girls would try to run across without being caught, wern't many got past cashy.
Old 15-03-2008, 00:04   #102
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just had me memory jogged by a photo in observer, a schoolyard game that was very enjoyable i reckon- Kiss Catch, the lads would stand in middle of junior school yard n the girls would try to run across without being caught, wern't many got past cashy.
It's no wonder there's loads of old photographs of kids with broken glasses, mended with a plaster, bruises, scabby knees, weeping boils, and cold sores.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 12:40   #103
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's no wonder there's loads of old photographs of kids with broken glasses, mended with a plaster, bruises, scabby knees, weeping boils, and cold sores.
been looking at your old school photos again Rindi
Old 15-03-2008, 17:07   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Also used to slide down Rileys Hill on a tin tray......wore a hole in it and then put it back in the cupboard.....my Ma was livid.......none of us(there were 7 kids) would own up so she banged all our heads together to see who got the hardest knock......and I was given an extra slap for being the eldest and letting it happen!
Done that too,Margaret......lived on Marsden St .........
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 17:14   #105
Beacon of light

Really Tal!!!!? When was that? Do you remember the chippy at the end of the Street.....and Mrs Almonds bake shop....Frank Greenhalgh's grocery shop too.
The Woodnook Pub and the Band Club......aah, they were happy days. Though we never had much money...we had friends and good neighbours.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..