Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 15:04   #121
Resting In Peace

Re: And Pastimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Did anyone knock panel pins into the top of empty cotton bobbins and then weave different coloured wool around them so it came out through the hole in the bobbin in a long cord.What you did with it after I don't remember. Maybe someone will.
Homemade version of a commercial toy called a knitting nancy, had a little face and hair painted on it

Knitting Nancy Kit - Stocking fillers up to £3

Couldn't use a cotton reel now, they're plastic!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-12-2011, 15:06   #122
Rest in Peace

Thanks for that Retlaw, now I remember girls at school seeing who could get the longest.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 15:07   #123
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
My sisters did that, stitched them into a spiral, and made table mats out of them.
Retlaw
Haha ... yes, that's the one. Sometimes used them as a sort of ribbon for tying up my ponytail.

Did the pom-pom thing too. Cut two discs out of cardboard with a hole in the middle. Thread wool through over the discs back to the hole until it was full. Then cut all the threads on the edge, tied with a piece of wool in the middle; pull through the hole and ... presto... a lovely pom-pom.

Make your own pom poms
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 15:16   #124
Rest in Peace

There was another which comes to memory, a cardboard milk bottle top which had a hole in the middle and you wound wool round and round untill it made a thick mat you then(I think) cut the wool all around the outside of the milk bottle top tied the middle and it then made a pom pom.Easier to do than explain.
Old 09-12-2011, 15:18   #125
God Member

Quote:
Did anyone knock panel pins into the top of empty cotton bobbins and then weave different coloured wool around them so it came out through the hole in the bobbin in a long cord.What you did with it after I don't remember. Maybe someone will.
I can remember doing that at junior school , we also did x-stitch and sewing on felt as well as some crochet.

My favourite was making pom-poms to go on woolly hats though -mum used to get us to make those as she knitted the hats, scarves and gloves!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 15:18   #126
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Haha ... yes, that's the one. Sometimes used them as a sort of ribbon for tying up my ponytail.

Did the pom-pom thing too. Cut two discs out of cardboard with a hole in the middle. Thread wool through over the discs back to the hole until it was full. Then cut all the threads on the edge, tied with a piece of wool in the middle; pull through the hole and ... presto... a lovely pom-pom.

Make your own pom poms
Sorry Katex same thoughts but I missed a cardboard top out
Old 09-12-2011, 16:14   #127
Resting in Peace

Re: Owd Pastimes

Mum used to make crepe flowers to put in various vases about the house. Loved helping her. They were really pretty; anything from chrysanthemums to roses.

Wonder if people still do this. Here is a link showing one type of flower; lovely, isn't it.

How To Make Crepe Paper Flowers
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 18:17   #128
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ya they used to do that at school in art class, ended up making thinks like coasters out of um
Old 09-12-2011, 18:19   #129
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Thanks for that Retlaw, now I remember girls at school seeing who could get the longest.
Ya girls have always been like that claytonx
Old 09-12-2011, 19:10   #130
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Mum used to make crepe flowers to put in various vases about the house. Loved helping her. They were really pretty; anything from chrysanthemums to roses.

Wonder if people still do this. Here is a link showing one type of flower; lovely, isn't it.

How To Make Crepe Paper Flowers
I seem to remember my auntie making flowers with plastersein (hard to spell)
Old 09-12-2011, 21:46   #131
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Tell me about it, I gave up after the second failure
Yup ... I'm a two timer as well. Should have stuck with the significant overnight relationship ... you know, the one where she takes one look at you, and then rolls over and calls you a cab.

And don't come back with: "Eric, you're a cab"
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:04   #132
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Yup ... I'm a two timer as well. Should have stuck with the significant overnight relationship ... you know, the one where she takes one look at you, and then rolls over and calls you a cab.

And don't come back with: "Eric, you're a cab"
Shucks, you second gussed me there Eric
Old 10-12-2011, 09:49   #133
JCB

Quote:
corkwork.co.uk/ tells about it .

We also used to make two holes in tin lids , put string through them , colour the lids with differrent colours of chalk , and then make them spin round to give a nice colourful effect . We called them yo-yos , but they wern't the type you can buy in shops .

Last edited by JCB; 10-12-2011 at 09:53.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:56   #134
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
corkwork.co.uk/ tells about it .

We also used to make two holes in tin lids , put string through them , colour the lids with differrent colours of chalk , and then make them spin round to give a nice colourful effect . We called them yo-yos , but they wern't the type you can buy in shops .
Hummers JCB, that's what they called them over Liverpool way,

"Where's our lad ?"
"E's inda jigger, playin' wid is 'ummer !"
Old 10-12-2011, 09:56   #135
Resting in Peace

Can remember when I was young everything used to go in seasons there was the marble season, conker season, of curse cricket and football, bonfire season which started in august, in as much as collecting the wood and everything that went with it, going stealing wood from other gangs, all great fun

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..