Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2003, 12:41   #1
Caz
God Member

Post Owd Pastimes

Piece of brghtly coloured card on a string. used to wind the string round and round, then pull - made a lovely whirring sound.

3-balls, against the wall, allsorts of variations on the throw!
Can still do that now!

Jacks, elastic, two rope skipping.

Allsorts of schoolyard games - anyone bring some to mind?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-08-2003, 12:44   #2
Caz
God Member

Post Re: Owd Pastimes

Playing "consequences"
Used to put some really rude things in.
;D

- Oscar Wilde
Old 04-08-2003, 13:06   #3
Resting in Peace

we used to play a game called sticks 6 sticks and a start stick only one foot allowed between them but no touching them one player was alowed to move only one stick at a time as the gap got bigger so the game got harder
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 11:59   #4
Jo

Hopscotch. Is that too recent?
Amd what about knock a door run?
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 12:06   #5
Caz
God Member

Hopscotch is probably one of the oldest ones going.

Remember doing knock-a-door-run my self,  too!!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 05-08-2003, 12:08   #6
Resting in Peace

It seamed to go in seasons at school with conkers, them marbles ,tag, ect
Old 05-08-2003, 12:20   #7
Jo

I remember having water fights with fairy liquid bottles in t'backyard. Have a great photo of me 25 years ago but I don't know how to copy it on-line. Anyone know?
Old 05-08-2003, 12:46   #8
Senior Member+

I REMEMBER WAITING FOR HOT DAYS LIKE THESE SO THAT I COULD POP TAR BUBBLES WITH A LOLLY STICK THEN WIND THE TAR AROUND THE STICK MOSTLY GETTING MOST OF THE TAR STUCK TO MYSELF. 8)
Old 05-08-2003, 13:35   #9

I remember doing that with my shoe!!!!!! How about collecting firewood for bonfire night? we used to have a fire every year on owd bobs I think it was called, the field next to Gatty park/Milnshaw park. and collecting tadpoles from the pond at the bottom
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 14:51   #10
Jo

Nowt like tar bubbles for a few hours entertainment!! The really gooey ones were best eh?
Old 05-08-2003, 15:02   #11
Resting in Peace

you should be out there today  ;D
Old 05-08-2003, 18:40   #12
Junior Member+

[quote author=Jo link=board=nostalgia;num=1060000403;start=0#3 date=08/05/03 at 12:59:20]Amd what about knock a door run?[/quote]
We used to play something called Grand National where we ran through back gardens jumping over hedges until one of us either fell over or ripped their pants
Chris7464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 19:24   #13
Resting in Peace

i remember that one ho my knees ;D
Old 05-08-2003, 20:15   #14
Caz
God Member

[quote author=littlemo link=board=nostalgia;num=1060000403;start=0#9 date=08/05/03 at 14:35:39]I remember doing that with my shoe!!!!!! How about collecting firewood for bonfire night? we used to have a fire every year on owd bobs I think it was called, the field next to Gatty park/Milnshaw park. and collecting tadpoles from the pond at the bottom[/quote]

Yes it was Owd Bob's, used to live near Milnshaw Park when the old houses were there.
Used to be a field where the new the red brick houses are off Lupin Road. Had sheep in it, and geese. They would run at you every time you passed.

And the Burco factory down there. Used to be this window with bars, which was always open, where you could look down and watch the workers. Used to get told off for annoying them.

Anyone know anything about Owd Bob?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 06-08-2003, 11:22   #15
Resting in Peace

As you know i come from Preston the school was Brockholes(tec)in Frenchwood
at dinner times a group of us would go to a nearby park that had a summer house climb onto the roof and throw big clods of mud at the passing tramps.
ho the shame .
sometime they would chase us
great fun though ;D

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..