Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2008, 14:25   #1
Resting In Peace

paper boy

Any one been a paper boy or girl in the 50s and 60s?
if so did you go on the paper boy and girl`s picnics,
oh happy days
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-12-2008, 10:51   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: paper boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
Any one been a paper boy or girl in the 50s and 60s?
if so did you go on the paper boy and girl`s picnics,
oh happy days
Well I didn't but a couple of my mates were and can remember them going on these ride outs tosh
Old 04-12-2008, 10:56   #3
Junior Member+

Red face Re: paper boy

Yes I was a paper boy in the 50's for a newsagent called PARR the shop was where the entrance to the Arndale car park is now, the trips I went on were to New Brighton or Blackpool and boy did we enjoy it, like going to a foreign country I used to get 9d old pence for monday to friday morning and evening and an extra 6d for Saturday/Sunday.
As you say "great times" wish it were still like it Accrington was a superb town in those days.
cooinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:03   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think Parrs was next to Ken Cleggs just before the "Bull" i took em fer Bilsbourgh corner of burnley Rd opposite Melbourne St, but that would be 61, n the trips must have ceased then, either that or bilsbourgh was a tight git.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:12   #5
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
think Parrs was next to Ken Cleggs just before the "Bull" i took em fer Bilsbourgh corner of burnley Rd opposite Melbourne St, but that would be 61, n the trips must have ceased then, either that or bilsbourgh was a tight git.
Absolutely right, Parrs was the first shop from the Bull, was Cleggs the clog shop where we took our clogs for new irons, also further up was Musgroves Health Food shop.
cooinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..