Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 13:56   #1
Resting in Peace

Photo in the Observer

Got a copy of this weeks Observer and was looking through it when I came across a Photo sent in by Stewart Hartley, it was of the teachers at St. Mary's Ossy in Moscow Mill St. I think around 1956/7

Those picture were Miss Heeney the head mistress (who taught my mother too) Mrs Harrison, Mr & Mrs Cosgrove (both now deceased) Miss Jean Mcgregor, Mr. Cliff Austin (local historian who now lives in Clithero)
Miss Isherwood and Mr Peter Bleasdale (now deceased) certainly brought back memories of my early school days as all those featured taught me in my early years
Old 12-11-2011, 15:35   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Photo in the Observer

Glad it brought some good (hopefully) memories back.

I love that feature in the Observer, even if I don't know anyone. Still interesting to look at.

The person who sent the photograph in is a member on here now.

Observer's gotten a lot better over the last few months. Much more local stuff in there again.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 06:21   #3

Can you post it on he jaysay,Miss McGregor was my first teacher at Holy Family. she was gorgeous,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 07:53   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Got a copy of this weeks Observer and was looking through it when I came across a Photo sent in by Stewart Hartley, it was of the teachers at St. Mary's Ossy in Moscow Mill St. I think around 1956/7

Those picture were Miss Heeney the head mistress (who taught my mother too) Mrs Harrison, Mr & Mrs Cosgrove (both now deceased) Miss Jean Mcgregor, Mr. Cliff Austin (local historian who now lives in Clithero)
Miss Isherwood and Mr Peter Bleasdale (now deceased) certainly brought back memories of my early school days as all those featured taught me in my early years
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''

For Cliff Austin, read ASTIN . Cliff is still giving talks illustrated by his photographs.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 09:23   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Can you post it on he jaysay,Miss McGregor was my first teacher at Holy Family. she was gorgeous,
That was a different Mcgregor Alan that was her sister, both cracking looking girls, they also had a younger sister who also went on to become a teacher at Holy Family, Try the Obs web site Alan, I'm useless at putting photos on here, it took me 2 hours to install my avatar, even then I didn't know how I'd done it
Old 13-11-2011, 09:28   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''

For Cliff Austin, read ASTIN . Cliff is still giving talks illustrated by his photographs.
Ya spot on Bob, that was my mistake, I know he lives in clitheroe now, I talked to him just before he left accrington about 4 or 5 years ago, Cliff was probably the teacher who had the most effect on me while I was growing up, he taught me for two years at St Mary's between 11 and 13 years old before going to the holy family
Old 13-11-2011, 10:17   #7

Didnt Mr. Astin & Mr Bleasdale go on to teach at Holy Family,I also remember a Miss Mcgregor but maybe not same person.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 11:39   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Didnt Mr. Astin & Mr Bleasdale go on to teach at Holy Family,I also remember a Miss Mcgregor but maybe not same person.
Ya both Cliff and Peter (Peter died about 5 years ago) went to the Holy Family Dave, Jean Mcgregor, who was married while at St Mary's didn't, it was her sister who taugh at HF, think she was called Helen
Old 13-11-2011, 11:47   #9

And her dad was headmaster at St Annes school in accy in early 1950,s
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 23:05   #10

Thanks all the same jaysay, I had the same trouble with my avatar. I'll try Observer website
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 08:48   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Thanks all the same jaysay, I had the same trouble with my avatar. I'll try Observer website
Ya Alan they didn't have these computer thingies when we were at school

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..