Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 19:59   #1

Smile Pie shops in Accy

Reading about the king of chippies (LENS of ranger St) reminded me of Pie shops, does anyone remember the Pie shop on the corner of Richmond St/Higher Antley St ? cannot remember the shops name. The owner supposedly had the biggest cat in England that sat in the shop on a box, man it was massive it was the size of a medium size dog.As a kid was given the job of getting a quick tea for the family used to get pies and peas and gravy in a bowl .In those days you could not have called this fast food more like slow food.
Was there any more in Accy? and also were they any better than this one.
johnenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-01-2010, 20:17   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Pie shops in Accy

Mrs Almonds Shop.......at the end of Marsden St.......diagonally opposite the Woodnook pub.
We used to go there late on a Saturday lunchtime and she would give us all the boiled spuds that were left, and we used to buy(at a knockdown price) any meat pies/steak puddings/potatoe pies.....and any squashed cakes she would give us to eat on the way home.......She knew that it was hard work feeding seven children, and that Ma had not much money......her gifts of food sometimes kept us going.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 21:08   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnenglish View Post
Reading about the king of chippies (LENS of ranger St) reminded me of Pie shops, does anyone remember the Pie shop on the corner of Richmond St/Higher Antley St ? cannot remember the shops name. The owner supposedly had the biggest cat in England that sat in the shop on a box, man it was massive it was the size of a medium size dog.As a kid was given the job of getting a quick tea for the family used to get pies and peas and gravy in a bowl .In those days you could not have called this fast food more like slow food.
You're thinking of Pennocks, John. That cat was so big that it actually made the Guinness Book of Records at one point. Yep, the pies were great! Remember their homemade ice lollies too?
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 23:20   #4

Quote:
That was Mrs. Peanock (not sure how that is spelt) and she did Lancashire Hotpot, didn't know about the pies!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 00:29   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
There's a few more mentioned in this thread.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ops-19183.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 16:47   #6
Senior Member+

There used to be a good Pie shop called Smiths which was on Cotton Street, straight facing the bottom of Royds Street, Linden Cronshaw was the Baker there, they had another shop also called Smiths on Abbey Street but that wasn't quite as good. Also one called Haworths on Nuttall street....its still a Pie shop now but its called Hurns...still do good Pies though, there steak ones are brilliant!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 17:07   #7

There was a pie shop on corner of higher antley st and hopwood st , mum used to get us pie and peas on the odd dinner time
ian
ian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 18:23   #8
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1 View Post
There was a pie shop on corner of higher antley st and hopwood st , mum used to get us pie and peas on the odd dinner time
ian
I think that was called Mona's...but if anyone knows different I will stand corrected.

There was also a very good pie shop at the top of Little Blackburn Road....they did delicious corned beef pasties.......and I loved their Russian cake.......I once asked what was in it and the lady who served in the shop said I shouldn't ask....that was because it was all the off cuts of cakes, mixed with Jam and then icing on top.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 19:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
You're thinking of Pennocks, John. That cat was so big that it actually made the Guinness Book of Records at one point. Yep, the pies were great! Remember their homemade ice lollies too?
Were they vimto flavoured by any chance wyonne?............ bet you know donald bailey who lived round the corner from pennocks,..........he lived on higher antley st............ couple of doors after that shop that was painted greeen that sold vimto ice lollies.
Old 12-01-2010, 19:25   #10

Quote:
I think the cat was called Sooty!!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 20:56   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Were they vimto flavoured by any chance wyonne?............ bet you know donald bailey who lived round the corner from pennocks,..........he lived on higher antley st............ couple of doors after that shop that was painted greeen that sold vimto ice lollies.
Yeah, that's it, John, Vimto flavoured...mmm..can taste 'em now! Don't remember Donald Bailey. My mate, Alan Whittle lived right across from the shop and another of my mates, Alec Chapple lived round the corner on Richmond Hill Street, across from you.
Old 12-01-2010, 21:18   #12

anyone remember SMITHS confectioners near accy post office ?.

they did decent pies in at a place on nutall steet when i used to live round there,you could also get get pudding and veg there.
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 08:58   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by spignific View Post
anyone remember SMITHS confectioners near accy post office ?.

they did decent pies in at a place on nutall steet when i used to live round there,you could also get get pudding and veg there.
Yep i remember them, i mentioned em in post no 6 above!

I knew a Donald Bailey, he used to live on Belfield Road but they moved, dont know where to though, had about 6 kids, (Michael, Susan, David, Donna are 4 i recall) and he was a Court Usher at one point!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 10:18   #14
Resting in Peace

There was nout to beat Jimmy Stivies 8 a loose, corner of Kay Street (I think) a great huge plate of prata pie
Old 13-01-2010, 11:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Yeah, that's it, John, Vimto flavoured...mmm..can taste 'em now! Don't remember Donald Bailey. My mate, Alan Whittle lived right across from the shop and another of my mates, Alec Chapple lived round the corner on Richmond Hill Street, across from you.
Donald Bailey worked as a butcher in accy Market and had a White Lambretta GP125 .
Wyonne do I know you , because it is obvious that you know me.
I am roaming round the streets trying to remember the lads who lived round there .
I remember Alan Chapple and his mum and dad, you must remember Dave Lang who lived opposite me who had a sister called Diane who was about your age.
Give us a clue which street did you live on.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..