Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2009, 03:26   #1
Junior Member+

Playing Out

Just thought id share this memory that keeps flashing in my ead. Playing out when i was a kid down the "planny" "plantation" or as its now known Foxhill bank nature reserve. I remember goin out about 10 in the mornin and gettin screamed at to come in about 8pm thats about 10 hours , no xbox, no playstation, no tv etc just a rope swing some mud some water and lots of big sticks and stuff. Why cant kids do that these days instead of spending all day skinning up and staring at a tv screen im now off to bed before i pass out
MRWOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2009, 09:57   #2

Re: Playing Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRWOO View Post
Just thought id share this memory that keeps flashing in my ead. Playing out when i was a kid down the "planny" "plantation" or as its now known Foxhill bank nature reserve. I remember goin out about 10 in the mornin and gettin screamed at to come in about 8pm thats about 10 hours , no xbox, no playstation, no tv etc just a rope swing some mud some water and lots of big sticks and stuff. Why cant kids do that these days instead of spending all day skinning up and staring at a tv screen im now off to bed before i pass out
Did BILL DASH ever catch you on the lodge.
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 12:03   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by south aussie View Post
Did BILL DASH ever catch you on the lodge.
Well he caught me on more than one occasion, it was always a case of Bill, dash
Old 23-01-2009, 12:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post

Was he the official water baillif or just a pain in the bum?
Old 23-01-2009, 12:58   #5

Yes we used to run away but the kids of today would not. They would put two fingers up and say " You cant touch me. F off"
Puffing Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 13:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Iwent to school [Rhyddings] with his grand son Harry Sumner [Harry Muck].
Old 23-01-2009, 13:54   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Iwent to school [Rhyddings] with his grand son Harry Sumner [Harry Muck].
i worked with Harry fer a few years he was a moulder at "Raistricks" church, was a good supping mate fer a while.
Old 23-01-2009, 16:20   #8
Resting in Peace

Kids today play out..... not heard that one: how does it work again:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 16:23   #9
Senior Member+

My 2 play out in the garden when the weathers fine

I used to play out, even when it was raining we used to huddle in the lobby and wait for it to stop and then were back out again (thats when we actually bothered that it was raining) Used to have to come in when the street lights came on though lol
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 17:37   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Was he the official water bailiff or just a pain in the bum?
He was the official water Bailiff, he lived in a house behind the old St Mary's school on Moscow Mill St, which was owned by the water board, right at the corner of the lodge. always had a fag in his gob, he was a real character
Old 30-05-2009, 23:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRWOO View Post
Used to go down there at dinner time from Rhyddings Tech as was. Do you remember that so called perv that no one actually saw, Fresh Air Freddy. Always in the bushes but had just run off! Wonder if there ever was one!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 23:34   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Used to go down there at dinner time from Rhyddings Tech as was. Do you remember that so called perv that no one actually saw, Fresh Air Freddy. Always in the bushes but had just run off! Wonder if there ever was one!
When I reported my flasher to the police in 1972, their response was 'It was probably fresh air Fred' - that was a stones throw from Foxhill Bank.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 09:40   #13

I used to play down Foxhill 63/68 proper Romanie Gypsies used to camp in old horse drawn carriages, i spent a lot of time skimming slate across the water but if parents heard the Gypsies where there we wern't allowed down there.
spex357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 09:59   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
When I reported my flasher to the police in 1972, their response was 'It was probably fresh air Fred' - that was a stones throw from Foxhill Bank.
Only just seen this post Margaret, I remember F. A. F. used to go Freddie hunting at nights, once bumped into to women on Haworth street Ossy they were plain cloths plod after te fresh air one
Old 21-07-2009, 08:45   #15

I've only just seen this but I remember the Planny and the Flasher!
I was once walking home from the town Hall and he made an appearance, then I saw him again on Stanley st, Ossie.
My brother said I went looking for him!!
Also I daren't tell you about how the policewoman asked me to describe what I had seen (I could hear my mum giggling in the kitchen!!.)
Did they ever catch him?
Does anyone remember that old house on the Planny. I can remember that to be part of a gang(can't remember whose!) we had to be brave enough to go into it and bring some kind of proof that we'd been inside.
Bill Dash almost caught me once and I never did get into anyones's gang.
We used to go tickling carp there as well. I think they were carp, anyone remember?
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..