Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 14:04   #1
I am Banned

Prices long ago

Just been clearing out some old bills from the spikes we keep them on under the stairs.
Rates Accrington Borough Council 110 quid
Norweb August 1969 4-16s-10d
Colour TV licience 12 quid.

Todays prices astronomical
Judith Addison likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2013, 17:40   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Prices long ago

What year were the rates and TV licience?
If it was 1969 that would be £1534.20 and £167.37 today according to this inflation calculator Historic inflation calculator: how the value of money has changed since 1900 | This is Money

The leccy would be £95.42
Old 06-09-2013, 21:12   #3

Those were the days, Retlaw!
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:37   #4
Senior Member+

Hey Mr Retlaw, you still got them? The Museum may like them, pretty please
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:33   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Trouble with that is they have my name, address & account numbers on, that could lead to identity theft by some one who is a bit dodgy. I've chucked dozens in the waste paper sack.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 13:16   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
You could always stand Retlaw in a corner when the Museums open Atarah, I think he's just about in the old relic state now
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 15:13   #7

The state pension in 1971: £6 a week for a male and £4.50 for a female. 1st class postage stamp 3p and 2nd class 2.5p.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 18:29   #8
Beacon of light

These prices all seem cheap in comparison to the prices of today......my wage in 1963 was three pound ten and sixpence......I was sixteen and worked in a shop I got a half day on a Wednesday and worked all day Saturday.
I went to work in a mill on double day shift when I was 18 and for shiftwork I received nine pounds per week as a battery filler......When I got my own set of looms - 16 of them, my wage went up to an average of twelve pounds ten shillings.
Stevie R likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 19:56   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
These prices all seem cheap in comparison to the prices of today......my wage in 1963 was three pound ten and sixpence......I was sixteen and worked in a shop I got a half day on a Wednesday and worked all day Saturday.
I went to work in a mill on double day shift when I was 18 and for shiftwork I received nine pounds per week as a battery filler......When I got my own set of looms - 16 of them, my wage went up to an average of twelve pounds ten shillings.

According to that inflation calculator your £9 per week in 1965 would be £147.52 now
Old 08-09-2013, 20:02   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yeh were on better money than me @ darwendosser in 63, we were on £2-15shillings a week, plus fish@chips fer 2 hrs overtime at Slingers Butchers Load Of Mischief.
Old 08-09-2013, 21:28   #11
God Member

In 1959 I started at Mullards Simonstone as an office junior on £1.18s.6d - I paid 20p income tax every other week.

After a year, I joined the civil service and got an enormous rise to £5 a week - equal pay with men - it was one of the few occupations that had equal pay then.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 21:54   #12

1967 my wife and I used to go out Saturday night 6 pints for me ,6 kings ales for her,fish and chips between us on way home and still have 6p change from £1.my wages were £7-18 shillings at chaseside engineering in Blackburn for a 5 and half day week 44 hours.happy days,i think petrol was about 3 s-8 pence a gallon.whats gone wrong.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:44   #13
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh were on better money than me @ darwendosser in 63, we were on £2-15shillings a week, plus fish@chips fer 2 hrs overtime at Slingers Butchers Load Of Mischief.
I left Slingers shop to work in the Mill and get a better wage.......but it was really hard work....I reckon I earned every penny of it....and the 6 til 2 shift nearly put my lights out....especially when I moved to Clayton and had to walk to Accrington every morning to get the 5.30 bus to Rawtenstall.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack preston View Post
1967 my wife and I used to go out Saturday night 6 pints for me ,6 kings ales for her,fish and chips between us on way home and still have 6p change from £1.my wages were £7-18 shillings at chaseside engineering in Blackburn for a 5 and half day week 44 hours.happy days,i think petrol was about 3 s-8 pence a gallon.whats gone wrong.

If wages then were £8 pw and are now £320 pw that's 40 times more & pro rata you would have £40 to spend on your night out. I think you could get a few drinks and a fish supper for £40.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 17:20   #15
Resting in Peace

When I left school in 62 I started as a happyrentice at R. P. Townley's on Manor Street Accy, my first weeks pay was £1. 12. shillings and 7 pence, I still have the wage slip somewhere, it was a big difference by 1980 when I was regularly earning between £250 and £300 a week considerably more than the average joiners wage at that time, mind you I was working 7 days a week
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..