Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2009, 09:24   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Priestly Clough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX1 View Post
Just think about your youth cashy and you'll get it right
If cashy's out like me, youth is a faded memory these days LYNX
Old 24-06-2009, 21:27   #32

I was brought up in the woodnook area and spent lots of summers as a kid swimming in that river and jumping off the pipes. I think the building you are thinking about are the remains of the leather works i think the farm at the bottom of the lodge was owned by the charlesworth family the blocked all access to to pipes
BOBBYSGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 09:04   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBYSGIRL View Post
I was brought up in the woodnook area and spent lots of summers as a kid swimming in that river and jumping off the pipes. I think the building you are thinking about are the remains of the leather works i think the farm at the bottom of the lodge was owned by the charlesworth family the blocked all access to to pipes
you swam in that river and your still here to tell the tale...sometimes the water was a bright orange colour...I do recall the Charlesworths having the farm by the lodge, you could fish there for 50p a day.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 19:32   #34

There were two cloughs as I knew Priestley Clough - the first went as far as the track to the left to King George's playing fields, and from there to the five arches was the second clough. We use to catch tiddlers and sticklebacks in the lodge close to Highams Mill. Monkey Hill was opposite the entrance/exit to Black Rock (the old quarry), and the rock just off the track back from there towards Bath Street and Highams was known as the King's Throne. We used to build rafts on Shutt's Lodge, and swim in there too. The Red Barn used to mark the beginning of the second clough, and from there one crossed two sets of pipes across the stream before eventually arriving at the higher level pipe crossing the stream closer to the five arches. Here one could either cross by clambering carefully around the spikes, swing across by means of the raail alongside the actual pipe or chicken out and get one's feet wet. I agree with those of you who've said that it was a fantastic place for kids.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 17:57   #35

Does anyone know what the Red Barn actually was, I only remember it as a few red bricks and foundations?
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:31   #36
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
You are posing the same question that I have posed for years.

Who saved me and what should I do with him,Thin line I think.
MM My dad saved someone from a local lodge when he was about 13/14 that would have made it about 60 years ago - I found the story from old newspapers an framed it for his birthday years ago - so would have to root it out
I wonder how many people have been savd from drowning and dont know who it is that saved them?
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 18:27   #37

Don't know what it had been built for, but I knew it as a two-storey brick building and although there were no doors or windows there were internal stairs because I used to climb to the upper floor. The upper floor floorboards were rotting/missing in some parts so one had to be careful where one trod. I suppose that I'm talking of around 1953-54 time.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 14:19   #38
I am Banned

Picture of Priestly Clough.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Priestly Clough 1911a.jpg (41.2 KB, 106 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 01:28   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Can remember when I went to school at the Holy Family beechy, sometimes I used to walk up Pendleton Avenue and running up the side was valley with a brook in it. Mates who lived round that area used to call that the Clough, don't know if these two were linked
That was the other Clough, I used to live on Arncliffe Ave and spent most of my time at that Clough. We used to pick Blackberries from the bushes and make rope swings over the brook.
I also used to go to Priestly clough from the "Factory bottom", Victoria st. and through the lodges that were there, there used to be a big 'drop' on one side were the river ran, used to scare me, then over passed the mill ruin and over the pipe that crossed the water up to the Five Arches, we also picked wild rhubarb that was if you went on the top path.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 21:04   #40

I just remembered what the "other" Clough is called. Nelson's.
I had a brain wave last night.
Old 17-09-2009, 09:21   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaner3 View Post
I just remembered what the "other" Clough is called. Nelson's.
I had a brain wave last night.
Was that because there was a farm called Nelsons, seem to remember the Farm near the Holy Family was called Nelson's though I might be wrong
Old 17-09-2009, 20:27   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Was that because there was a farm called Nelsons, seem to remember the Farm near the Holy Family was called Nelson's though I might be wrong
Yes, it was at the start of High St. in Ossy I think. Right on the main road, I think it was a continuation of Miller Fold.
Old 18-09-2009, 00:04   #43
God Member

Now I'm confused.. is Priestly Clough the one that starts around Nuttall St and goes all the way up past Baxenden?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 01:59   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Now I'm confused.. is Priestly Clough the one that starts around Nuttall St and goes all the way up past Baxenden?
That's the one,end of Nuttall St turn left onto Bath St and just keep going.I think Nuttall St becomes Mount St for the last few yards though just to confuse the matter.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 09:00   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
That's the one,end of Nuttall St turn left onto Bath St and just keep going.I think Nuttall St becomes Mount St for the last few yards though just to confuse the matter.
Your not wrong pete.........Mount st starts where the old bridge was and goes up to the corner where Bath st starts

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..