Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2014, 09:30   #121
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Priestly Clough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I lived on Riley's Hill and only knew of one of those tunnels.
I thought they were part of the coal workings which went under the hill.
As children we were warned about going into these workings. My mother told us she would 'skelp our aces' if she ever heard about us having been in there.....she was a formidable woman(she still is) so I never ventured in there......that isn't to say our lads didn't......but they were never found out if they did.
Wouldn't mind betting the one i mated wi did?
Old 23-09-2014, 11:00   #122
Beacon of light

Cashy, I have no doubt whatsoever about that.
cashman likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 13:11   #123
Mog

Last time i went up T clough i was about 16. Went walking with a young girl from our area. Think she was called Marion Holden or something like that. It was pouring down and we had to shelter in a workmans type of tent on top of the rock. Only kids.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:32   #124

Living on Belfield Rd. Priestly Clough was my playground. Somebody mentioned the lodge behind Hingham’s works; well that is where we would fish with a net for "Sticklebacks". Unfortunately one day when I was about 7-8 I fell into the lodge and being a non swimmer I was soon in Trouble. Fortunately as it was Sunday a couple came by and the Young man rescued me. It was Derick Briggs who also lived on Belfield Rd. If Things had turned out for the worse, I wouldn't be writing this article today!

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Late of Belfield Rd.
Turtle and Accyexplorer like this.
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:59   #125
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
Priestly Clough was my playground. Somebody mentioned the lodge behind Hingham’s works; well that is where we would fish with a net for "Sticklebacks". Unfortunately one day when I was about 7-8 I fell into the lodge and being a non swimmer I was soon in Trouble. Fortunately as it was Sunday a couple came by and the Young man rescued me. It was Derick Briggs who also lived on Belfield Rd. If Things had turned out for the worse, I wouldn't be writing this article today!
Do you mean the original mill pond top of bath st near the footpath?

I use to get warned all the time about the dangers of playing around that area there was also platts lodge too.

Glad your alive to tell the tale

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 13-03-2015 at 14:05.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 15:16   #126

Yes exactly the mill Pond to the right of the footpath.

Cheers
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 17:00   #127

I remember I was once looking for frogs and things on the banks of the rectangle-shaped lodge to the side of Nelson's farm. This would be around 1960. I stepped in, just at the shallow edge, and my feet started to slide down the sloping banks and into the deeper water. I panicked, not being able to swim, and the lodge looked very deep. After what seemed like an eternity my little brother reached for my hand and pulled me out. Never forgot that!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 17:29   #128
Senior Member+

A bit history about the clough on this picture

DSCF4978.jpg
Turtle likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 20:25   #129
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I remember I was once looking for frogs and things on the banks of the rectangle-shaped lodge to the side of Nelson's farm. This would be around 1960. I stepped in, just at the shallow edge, and my feet started to slide down the sloping banks and into the deeper water. I panicked, not being able to swim, and the lodge looked very deep. After what seemed like an eternity my little brother reached for my hand and pulled me out. Never forgot that!
Be around that then wintertime Turtle, mates and me ventured out onto Nelson's Lodge when frozen. The groaning and cracking of the ice as it took the weight of 4 or 5 of us Woodnookers, scared the bejazus out of me and offski I went.
Turtle and manning like this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 21:22   #130
Beacon of light

Long before 1960...during a pretty cold winter we(my brothers and I) went to survey the lodge.
This was a place that we were forbidden to go, unless with an adult...and we weren't.
Both of the lodges...the big one and the little triangular shaped one, were frozen over.
My brother Michael wanted to skate on the frozen ice and squeezed through the railings.
I pleaded with him not to go onto the big lodge.....but he did not listen to me.
The ice cracked and into the freezing water he went. He could not swim and the shock of the cold water had sort of stunned him.
I saw a thick branch lying in the wooded side of the lodge and I managed to get hold of it.
I held this out to him and with the help of Peter(another brother) we managed to fish him out.
We took him home, blue with cold and shivering and shaking.
He dared not go in the house...fearing what Ma would say.
She came to the top of the back steps and flung a bucket of cold water over him saying
'you like water????? I'll teach you to like bl**dy water'
he was then brought into the house and had his bar bum paddled , then he was wrapped in warm clothes and sent to bed to consider the error of his ways.

It made no difference he was always in some kind of scrape...as Cashy will no doubt attest to.
Big Dave, Stevie R, Turtle and 1 others like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 12:50   #131
Senior Member+

Poluted and devoid of fish in the 70's! - 80's ?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:26   #132

I lived in the farm house at that time so I must know you
manning likes this.
Ravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..