Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2008, 18:17   #1

Talking record

CAN U remember YOUR FIRST LP YOU BOUGHT

Last edited by pam1; 18-05-2008 at 18:20.
pam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-05-2008, 18:21   #2
Senior Member+

Re: record

I can, it was the London Boys Album called London Nights
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 18:23   #3
God Member

erm i can remember the first ones i got bought for me they where Michael Jackson BAD and Bros PUSH , infact i still have all my LP collection
Old 18-05-2008, 19:01   #4

The first album I bought myself was Nik Kershaw - Human Racing
Old 18-05-2008, 19:19   #5
Resting In Peace

now this is from the past,the first one i got ,was jonny kid and the pirates, shaking all over.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 20:41   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was a Buddy Holly album, cant remember the name.
Old 18-05-2008, 20:46   #7
God Member

Records were on their way out when I started buying music and the new fangled modern tapes were all the rage.

However I do remember buying one of those small ones.....were they called 45s or something?

It was Frankie by Sister Sledge.
Old 18-05-2008, 21:00   #8
God Member

First one I bought was Kimono My House by Sparks
Old 18-05-2008, 22:03   #9
Super Moderator

It's the summer of 1964 and my folks have just bought a new Dansette record player (with automatic disc changer, no less!). Immediately, I rush downtown, into Woolies and there it is...the LP I've had my eye on for so long..."The Greatest Hits of Elvis Presley", complete with a moody black-and-turquoise drawing of the King on the cover...and unbelievably, it's only 12/6 (60p), unlike most LPs which are 32/6 (£1.60) at this time. I hand over my money and proudly set off for home with my new purchase. As I'm walking along Blackburn Road, I can't resist taking the record out of its cover and then I notice something strange...it's on some obscure label called Embassy (El's records are all on RCA-Victor) and suddenly I notice the words on the label "recorded by Danny Storm & the Tempests" and I realise that I've spent my money on an album's worth of cheapo cover versions. Not for the last time, I walk home sadly, reflecting on the ways of this wicked world!
Old 18-05-2008, 22:12   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
It's the summer of 1964 and my folks have just bought a new Dansette record player (with automatic disc changer, no less!). Immediately, I rush downtown, into Woolies and there it is...the LP I've had my eye on for so long..."The Greatest Hits of Elvis Presley", complete with a moody black-and-turquoise drawing of the King on the cover...and unbelievably, it's only 12/6 (60p), unlike most LPs which are 32/6 (£1.60) at this time. I hand over my money and proudly set off for home with my new purchase. As I'm walking along Blackburn Road, I can't resist taking the record out of its cover and then I notice something strange...it's on some obscure label called Embassy (El's records are all on RCA-Victor) and suddenly I notice the words on the label "recorded by Danny Storm & the Tempests" and I realise that I've spent my money on an album's worth of cheapo cover versions. Not for the last time, I walk home sadly, reflecting on the ways of this wicked world!
SUCKER, embassy was real crap cover Wynonie, but never mind ya soon learnt the differance music wise.
Old 18-05-2008, 22:30   #11
God Member

Frank Sinatra - Songs for Swinging Lovers
please note 'swinging' has a different meaning now than it did then

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 23:21   #12

The 1st LP I had bought for me as a child was Beatles for Sale, my father bought it for me. He fetched it home from a trip to Hong Kong, he was in the merchant navy at the time...early '65 at a guess.

Think the first one I bought for myself was Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
Old 19-05-2008, 01:34   #13

Sheer Heart Attack by Queen, bought from Mary's Music on Whalley Rd
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 02:04   #14
Senior Member+

I may be wrong but i think it was showaddywaddy........ i remember the first cd i bought, it was right said fred, i'm too sexy (dont ask!!!! )

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 05:38   #15
Senior Member+

Billy Fury and the Tornados..cant recall the title

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..