Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-05-2008, 20:53   #1
Resting In Peace

record shop

someone rememberd marys music, does enyone remember the band box record shop, opposite the market house.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-05-2008, 05:49   #2
Senior Member+

Re: record shop

i remember Marys music next to the crown pub
and the band box at top of little blackburn road

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 07:39   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
i remember Marys music next to the crown pub
and the band box at top of little blackburn road
No, it was Disc & Tape Exchange at the top of Little Blackburn Road, Beechy. Bandbox was, as Tosh says, opposite the Market Hall. Other notable record shops included Tony's, on Blackburn Road, opposite the bottom of Paxton Street and the Golden Disc Bar on Broadway.
Old 20-05-2008, 08:11   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yeh missed the best un, Marshalls, further on the block from marys, got 90% of me music there.
Old 20-05-2008, 08:18   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yeh missed the best un, Marshalls, further on the block from marys, got 90% of me music there.
Yep, you're right, Marshalls was one heck of a record shop. Started off purely selling second-hand records around 1968 and then gradually moved over to new stuff. Got a lot of great items myself from there.
Old 20-05-2008, 08:32   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Yep, you're right, Marshalls was one heck of a record shop. Started off purely selling second-hand records around 1968 and then gradually moved over to new stuff. Got a lot of great items myself from there.
yep she was a top lady fer getting Rare/Deleted records that ya couldn't get anywhere else in accy, unless of coarse they had been re-issued on "Old Gold"
Old 20-05-2008, 10:29   #7
Super Moderator

Mrs Marshall was the classic old school record shop proprietor. She knew each of her regular customer's tastes and she would recommend records that she thought might interest you. I discovered many a classic sound in her shop.

The woman at Tony's was good that way, too. As I didn't live too far away, she would sometimes let me take records home "on approval" before deciding whether I wanted to buy it or not.
Old 20-05-2008, 15:37   #8
Senior Member+

the fog has lifted the band box opposite the
market hall yes a little shop with one row of records the full length of one side I THINK

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 15:56   #9
Super Moderator

That's right, they were down the righthand side with the counter facing you at the end. Always, had lots of sale records. I once bought a single called "Liza Jane" by Davy Jones & The King Bees on spec for 1/6. When I played it, it was rubbish, so I made a frisbee out of it. It's now worth £1,000+, because it was David Bowie's first ever single. Doh!...
Old 20-05-2008, 16:56   #10
Resting in Peace

Are there still any record shops in Accy these days or is it just Wolly's and Asda and the like
Old 20-05-2008, 17:54   #11
Super Moderator

There's Custard Cube in the market hall, which sometimes has some interesting items. If you're a vinyl lover, ask the guy if you can see the stuff he has in his storeroom on the upstairs balcony. He's got a veritable Aladdin's Cave of LPs up there!

The only other record shop, Music Zone on Broadway, managed by our own Lindsay Ormerod, sadly closed some time ago.
Old 20-05-2008, 21:34   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

napped a couple of 45s upstairs yon,yesterday, not what i was after but what i'd forgot about.
Old 20-05-2008, 21:37   #13
Resident Waffler

I can't remember Bandbox although the name sounds familiar.I just can't visualise the shop.

Marshalls was brilliant. I discovered some excellent music there - as you said she used to know the sort of stuff you liked and then would recommend something else you may well like. I usually did.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 07:57   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
napped a couple of 45s upstairs yon,yesterday, not what i was after but what i'd forgot about.
Yep, he's got all sorts of stuff up there, Mr C. I picked up some great jazz LPs for a song last time I was up there.

Does anybody remember the Golden Disc Bar, on Broadway, opposite Woolies? Downstairs was a TV/hi fi/electrical appliance store called Wisemans, but the record shop was upstairs. The big attraction here was that you could buy an LP on the never-never. Just slap your deposit down, then they gave you a little book which was stamped as you paid your installments.

Here's one for the coffin dodgers - anybody recall the Co-op on the corner of Abbey Street and Barnes Street, with the record department upstairs? The whole store closed in early 1966 and they sold off their stock at silly prices. I picked all The Who's 45s for two bob each...was well chuffed!
Old 21-05-2008, 08:14   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

remember the co-op,thought it was just furniture which played no part in my life at that time. never knew they had a record dept,hence i never went in it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..