Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2009, 08:54   #1

remember the mexican bandito....?

Back in the late 70´s there was a character who frequented Accy reference library (and the Golden Grill!!) - who always wore a huge sombrero (?) and strapped masses of felt-tip pens across his chest. He was an excellent artist. Lived in Helmshore I think. Unfortunately he died from a fit in the early 80´s. He was really excentric in his dress and mannerisms but a nice quiet type.
red rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-01-2009, 16:38   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: remember the mexican bandito....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rose View Post
Back in the late 70´s there was a character who frequented Accy reference library (and the Golden Grill!!) - who always wore a huge sombrero (?) and strapped masses of felt-tip pens across his chest. He was an excellent artist. Lived in Helmshore I think. Unfortunately he died from a fit in the early 80´s. He was really excentric in his dress and mannerisms but a nice quiet type.
I remember him very well red rose, and he did come from Helmshore, I was living in Hassy at the time he died, he was actually a real nice guy and as you said was a great artist
Old 16-01-2009, 21:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I remember him very well red rose, and he did come from Helmshore, I was living in Hassy at the time he died, he was actually a real nice guy and as you said was a great artist

It came to me after I had sent the "thread" that his name was Captain Dove.....
Old 17-01-2009, 09:30   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rose View Post
It came to me after I had sent the "thread" that his name was Captain Dove.....
I was cratching my head trying to remember what he was called
Old 17-01-2009, 14:11   #5

Good to see you got there my brother and his wife live in Helmshore will have to ask him bet he has some knowledge on that man.
bondi38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 21:40   #6

Didn't he once try to "rob" one of the banks?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 08:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Didn't he once try to "rob" one of the banks?
I never heard about that....seems hard to believe as he seemed "bombed" most of the time!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 16:43   #8
Senior Member+

He always used to pop into the Pickwick of an evening, and quite often used to do a sketch of drinkers in there. Theres something scratching away in me head thinking that he once may have pretended to hold up one of the town centre banks with a plastic gun as a joke, but i may be getting confused here, because there was also a chap called Pepe who used to live on Avenue Parade, who once tried to Hold up one of the Banks with a Water Pistol! It was a shame, he had some Mental Health problems, the last i recall seeing him was running naked down a corridor in Queens Park Hospital. Unfortunately not long after that, he took his own life by throwing himself off the Car Park in Blackburn.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 17:29   #9

Blimey i remember him from pickwick days
he also lived in a cottage at the bottom of Hazel st Risingbridge if i remember rightly this is where he died
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 17:34   #10
Senior Member+

I remember both Captain Dove & Pepe. Captain used to get on the same rossendale bus as us occassionally when we'd finished school in the mid 70's.Didnt know his name at the time because we were to busy extracting the urine.Shame because with hindsight he was definatley one of Accys characters.I later worked in the Pickwick but dont recall him coming in,unless time has clouded my memory.Pepe i can still visualise but can't recall anything much about him,only hearing about his mental state & sad demise.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..