Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 09:53   #1
Resting in Peace

Rise and fall of WMCs

What are your thoughts on the falling from grace of working men's clubs, bingo has been mentioned in another thread, what's your take
Old 12-09-2010, 10:20   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Rise and fall of WMCs

When it costs more for a pint in a 'non profit making' WMC than it does in a pub no wonder membership dwindles.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:29   #3
God Member

I once participated in the 'rescue' of a WMC.
It was 'going under' due to the devious syphoning off of funds by an earlier committee.
The financial transactions were not properly monitored, so that theft was possible without risk of detection.

When we were told of examples such as -
..a committee member making a 200 mile round trip during his holiday, for the sole purpose of doing his 'job' of emptying the one armed bandits .... you become aware that fiddling by committee members was accepted and the others 'turned a blind eye' and had their own perks.

The new committee I was part of for about a year, were aware of the past fiddling and were determined to put the club back on its feet. I worked two evenings a week selling raffle tickets during concert nights (the place was packed) for the small reward of two free pints of beer.

As the club regained its viability, some of us left the committee and gradually the culture of the committee's financial perks crept back

Last edited by MargaretR; 12-09-2010 at 10:31.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:38   #4
God Member

My dad used to go to Intack WMC until it stopped opening during the week, it only opens at weekends now, whats the point in paying your subs for such little usage
Old 12-09-2010, 10:50   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

these things pointed out, have added to the decline, more expensive ale, not open as used to be etc, i still maintain the decline started wi sodding bingo, fer reasons i mentioned in other thread,i think its a build up of these differant things, making clubs no longer attractive to many people, as Margaret R said. committees back in the day have much to answer for.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:18   #6
Resting in Peace

I was once hauled before a "committee" who asked.
"Why have you changed the lock on the upstairs bar"

My reply "How do you know I have" - I was met with a wall of silence.

Says quite a lot.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 19:09   #7
JCB

Over recent years the character of the clubs I used to frequent has changed a lot . Much of it not for the good .
This may be because of the steady decline in membership , volunteers for the committee , and general attendance .

I can recall going into the Willow Mount on a Saturday night , and by 7.30 it was nearly full . Good company . Good artists . Good beer . Good times .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 19:27   #8
Senior Member+

How about the smoking ban?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 19:53   #9
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I think that has contributed to the decline .

The last time I visited a club I didn't like having to keep going outside for a fag . But I believe smokers have lost that battle .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 21:02   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Over recent years the character of the clubs I used to frequent has changed a lot . Much of it not for the good .
This may be because of the steady decline in membership , volunteers for the committee , and general attendance .

I can recall going into the Willow Mount on a Saturday night , and by 7.30 it was nearly full . Good company . Good artists . Good beer . Good times .
I built the small extension on the front there just to house the one armed bandits.Pity they did little for the two legged ones.

Old 12-09-2010, 21:05   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Not the cause of the decline but did nothing to help.

Old 12-09-2010, 21:53   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
No WMCs here that I know of but the only bar/pubs that are doing OK are the ones that have stuck 2 fingers up to the smoking ban. No anti-smoking enforcers here, sometimes feel sorry that I quit over a year ago
Old 12-09-2010, 23:58   #13
God Member

To me.. and I'll be honest.. the demise of "working mens clubs" started in the late 70's early 80's.. mass unemployment is bound have a bad effect on "working men clubs".. also there was a time when you could not have a drink between 3 to 5 pm in pubs but people so inclined would go to th WMC's.. they were not needed after the new licence laws.
It is a worry.. speaking for myself when I do venture out to some parts I usually end up in a working men's clubs up north.. Lancashire, Northumberland, Cumbria.. all are first class and drinks are well priced..I don't think there is a demise of WMC's.. the pubs have far more problems.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 08:41   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
To me.. and I'll be honest.. the demise of "working mens clubs" started in the late 70's early 80's.. mass unemployment is bound have a bad effect on "working men clubs".. also there was a time when you could not have a drink between 3 to 5 pm in pubs but people so inclined would go to th WMC's.. they were not needed after the new licence laws.
It is a worry.. speaking for myself when I do venture out to some parts I usually end up in a working men's clubs up north.. Lancashire, Northumberland, Cumbria.. all are first class and drinks are well priced..I don't think there is a demise of WMC's.. the pubs have far more problems.
if yer being honest the demise started late 70s early 80s? yet ya don't think there is a demise. makes perfect sense.
Old 13-09-2010, 08:44   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
To me.. and I'll be honest.. the demise of "working men's clubs" started in the late 70's early 80's.. mass unemployment is bound have a bad effect on "working men clubs".. also there was a time when you could not have a drink between 3 to 5 pm in pubs but people so inclined would go to Th WMC's.. they were not needed after the new licence laws.
I think all licenced premises have problems, for various reasons, a total smoking ban didn't help any of them, you say you don't thin there is a demise Mancie, when clubs such as James Street and King Street, in there day probably two of the busiest clubs in Hyndburn, go to the wall and clubs such as Stanhill and the Nash in Ossy are struggling there are problems. I think the fact is that were as people like us Mancie, when we first started drinking joined a WMC, I joined the Nash, today's generations of new drinkers don't, its a local pub then down town, plus in our day if you were interested in say, playing snooker, WMC was the place, in our day there was only the Elite, now there are numerous snooker clubs up and down, all these factors don't help, sadly

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..