Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2013, 10:46   #1

Rishy Crisps

I'm trying to fill in gaps in our family history and Rishy Crisps was part of it . . . but my recollections are sketchy. I think Rishy Crisps, at least as a factory, started in in the mid 60's in what was a former woollen mill in Great Harwood (or was it Rishton?). At the time I think it was a subsidiary of Brooks Beattie Biscuits in Wythenshaw (though it may have been Symbols Biscuits, Blackpool). I know that Rishy went on to provide crisps for M & S.

And our family's part in its history? My father, Stan Wallbridge, having previously created a biscuit factory for Carrs Biscuits in Bulawayo, was given the task of turning an empty woollen mill into a fully operational crisp factory and I have vague memories of wandering through the cavernous empty space before work began.

I would love to know what happened to Rishy, the address of the old mill and what it is being used for now. And I would be delighted if anyone has any old photos of Rishy Crisps.

Many thanks.
Mikethebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-11-2013, 13:44   #2

Re: Rishy Crisps

I can only remember Rishy Crisps growing up as a child in the early 60's. I suspect they were around as a local company and got taken over by somebody larger in the mid 60's but I'm sure somebody on here has far more information than me.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 14:43   #3
God Member

There will be something on here if you search. Was known as Xl crisps and at some point in time was owned by Bensons
Old 17-11-2013, 14:49   #4
Resting In Peace

I remember them well... would they have been called Rishy if they had been based in Harwood?
Old 17-11-2013, 15:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I remember them well... would they have been called Rishy if they had been based in Harwood?
Yes, they were called Rishy Crisps and based in Great Harwood. We had a school trip there when I was at Western County Junior School. We were all given free packets of crisps.

Last edited by Michael1954; 17-11-2013 at 15:26.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 15:26   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Yes, they were based in Great Harwood. We had a school trip there when I was at Western County Junior School. We were all given free packets of crisps.
So that theory is shot down in flames and bites the dust...
Old 17-11-2013, 16:09   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:

Snuffy Crisps - doesn't sound right.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 18:08   #8
I am Banned

I remember a big fire there in the 1960's, the floor was covered in hot oil, it ruined our fire boots which were made of leather, after that the brigade changed to a thick soled rubber boot with a steel toe protector.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 07:15   #9

My mother worked at Rishy Crisps in the 50s, it started off in Church then moved to snuffy. My dads cousin started it after the war, in his mums kitchen. His name was George Rose, his mother, my Aunt Annie, was the Landlady of the Hare & Hounds at one time, he sold it in the 60s to Bensons. I went to primary school with his son George Rose Jr.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 08:00   #10
Resting in Peace

I worked there doing contract maintenance work in the sixties
Old 20-11-2013, 18:55   #11

Didn't they used to have a picture of blackpool tower on the packet?
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 01:50   #12
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Didn't they used to have a picture of blackpool tower on the packet?
No it was a lighthouse I think and also probably in another incarnation as Benson's. How funny to think of potato crisps having an incarnation.
Old 21-11-2013, 18:33   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
No it was a lighthouse I think and also probably in another incarnation as Benson's. How funny to think of potato crisps having an incarnation.
Maybe the words "rebranding" Susie
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 13:55   #14
God Member

Quote:
So that theory is shot down in flames and bites the dust...
.... and mixes metaphors .... but, knowing you, you probably did it on purpose

By the by, do any chips (er, "crisps") still come with those little packs of salt wrapped in blue paper?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 14:39   #15
Senior Member+

Walkers Salt `n`Shake.
Walkers Salt & Shake Crisps (48 x 30g Bags): Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

I`m sure it used to be Smiths Crisps that made them.
Eric likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..