Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-04-2010, 08:17   #31

Re: Rock around the Clock, Bill Haley

Old names in music, come to mind, The Vernons girls ( Ladybirds,). The Brooks Brothers, Don Lang, Terry Dean, Jim Dale.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2010, 18:53   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Old names in music, come to mind, The Vernons girls ( Ladybirds,). The Brooks Brothers, Don Lang, Terry Dean, Jim Dale.
I remember going to the The Kings Hall in Blackburn 1962/63 to see Little Eva, Brooks Brothers and Bobby Rydell.....great show
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 10:02   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyGirl View Post
I remember going to the The Kings Hall in Blackburn 1962/63 to see Little Eva, Brooks Brothers and Bobby Rydell.....great show
Think the best show at King Georges Hall in Blackburn was The Beatles, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Cilla Black, and Roy Orbison, all for about 3 shillings and sixpence
Old 23-04-2010, 15:19   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think the best show at King Georges Hall in Blackburn was The Beatles, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Cilla Black, and Roy Orbison, all for about 3 shillings and sixpence
wowow what a line up...wish I had seen that one.....
oopss and sorry I got the name of the Hall wrong..of course it is King Georges Hall.....I also remember going to a New Years Eve dance there..I think 1962..
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 15:45   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
I saw the first US band to come over after the ban was lifted - Duke Ellington (I think), at the King George's - whoever it was, it was pretty good compared with the English bands - Frankie Laine at Blackpool Opera House was also pretty good. Reckon that must have been about '54 or so.
Old 23-04-2010, 18:30   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
that would be 62/63 the big "O"was the headliner when i saw it n the beatles were nowt but up n coming.
Old 24-04-2010, 09:37   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
that would be 62/63 the big "O"was the headliner when i saw it n the beatles were nowt but up n coming.
Stop on cashy think the had just released Love Me Do when they appeared and G and the P I Like It
Old 28-04-2010, 07:20   #38

I went to that as well. People dont believe over here when I tell them. , As well as all the other groups we used to see, at the Imperial, Astoria, Burnley Mecca, Con, Cavern , The Wheel, They say if you remamber the 60s you wernt there , well I certainly bloody was and I remember, fantastic, Put kettle on mother. At least we have lived to tell the tale.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 09:43   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
I went to that as well. People dont believe over here when I tell them. , As well as all the other groups we used to see, at the Imperial, Astoria, Burnley Mecca, Con, Cavern , The Wheel, They say if you remamber the 60s you wernt there , well I certainly bloody was and I remember, fantastic, Put kettle on mother. At least we have lived to tell the tale.
Well I remember the 60s too Alan, maybe because I never tried whacky backy, or bombers, uppers and downers, I was a big enough head-the-ball with Ale and fags, let alone out else
Old 28-04-2010, 21:33   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Well I remember the 60s too Alan, maybe because I never tried whacky backy, or bombers, uppers and downers, I was a big enough head-the-ball with Ale and fags, let alone out else
i remember a fair bit, rest is "Flashbacks" dunno how the hell i survived, bet some on here wish i hadn't.
Old 29-04-2010, 10:05   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i remember a fair bit, rest is "Flashbacks" dunno how the hell i survived, bet some on here wish i hadn't.
Bet some on here wish you hadn't cashy and you a first class gent and genteel soul to boot
Old 01-05-2010, 18:25   #42

It was at the Ritz in Church street, remember it well - jiving in the isles......when we managed to evade the management.

If memory serves me right it was next door to what was Barnes showroom?
accybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:53   #43

Danced to Ray Ellington in Burnley-came home on the back of someone's truck-happy days!
Stephanie Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:15   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I saw the first US band to come over after the ban was lifted - Duke Ellington (I think), at the King George's - whoever it was, it was pretty good compared with the English bands - Frankie Laine at Blackpool Opera House was also pretty good. Reckon that must have been about '54 or so.
I believe (not the song Conway Twitty sang) that Frankie Laine was at the Winter Gardens, Blackpool in the mid 50's, and if I remeber correctly he wore a "Midnight Blue" gaberdine suit with a link button and rolled collar. I tried to get one at Burtons but could'nt, had to settle for a grey one.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:58   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
I believe (not the song Conway Twitty sang) that Frankie Laine was at the Winter Gardens, Blackpool in the mid 50's, and if I remeber correctly he wore a "Midnight Blue" gaberdine suit with a link button and rolled collar. I tried to get one at Burtons but could'nt, had to settle for a grey one.
Pretty sure you had the venue right - like you, could not get midnight blue so went the other way and got a very light grey one - showed every B mark, but I felt good wearing it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..