Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 15:45   #1
Junior Member+

Rock Mount, Whalley Road

Hi All,

We are looking for old photos of Whalley Road and in particular our house which is one of the Rock Mount Terraces. Does anyone have any photos or information about where I can find any? I have trawled through Accrington Library to no avail. All the pictures are either too far into Clayton or at the Accy end. I haven't tried Clayton Library but that's my next port of call.

Thank you to anybody who can help.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
bells55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2011, 20:51   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Rock Mount, Whalley Road

Try Andrea Davies, who wrote a book on Clayton & Altham a few years ago. It was published by Darren Woodhead of Lancashire Books (Lancashire Books) Darren is a member of this site I think., so you can PM him.

Last edited by Mick; 21-08-2011 at 05:42.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 21:00   #3
Junior Member+

Thank you. That website is new to me. I will call them.

Old 10-08-2011, 22:44   #4
Senior Member+

Just jog my memory, is Rock Mount that lovely terraced block at Altham West, just before the garage and The Greyhound Pub?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 14:14   #5
Junior Member+

That's the one yep.

Old 19-08-2011, 13:45   #6
God Member

Cioa-Bells! Don't think i have any photos (I can ask my mum though) but i have links to Rock Mount. My Great-Grandfather bought No26 and brought up his family there after the first world war -we think he made his money from they sale of patents for some pit-props he invented. The family had 10 children including my Grandad, John Croston (3rd born i think). My mum has a letter written by my grandad where he descibes the family life there when he was young (1920's) -the house next door was at one point a nursery school so he said!
I also spent a lot of time there in the 70/80's as my best friend, Charlotte lived at No 38. They are fab houses -loads of room to play for kids in the attics and cellars; we were fans of treasure hunts and midnight feasts although Charlotte's dad used to scare us with tales of ghosts in the attics; and in between the garages at the back -great place for rounders...
The terrace in front of Rock Mount has a gap in the middle which i believe was bombed out in the second world war -i was told they were getting rid of bombs after a raid on manchester and it was the only such incident in Accy. Perhaps this could be something to look up as there may have been pics in the papers...perhaps some of the older web members may know more about this...
This is probably only hearsay but i think possibly someone from the terrace was also on the Titanic - it may only have been stories we we told as kids!
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 12:58   #7
Junior Member+

No I havenīt any photos of 26 Rockmount where my Dad John Croston lived but my Grandad Thomas Croston ran his small business in pit props and worked with a group of miners datalling at Dicky pit.I am just in the process of writing up their life(Grandad, Grandma and all the ten children) with the help of the many letters my Dad wrote to his youngest sister Ruth--- Johnīs father Thomas was embattled with the mining unions , mainly because they refused to recognise his inventions to improve the lot of miners at that time. I have Grandad Thomasīs many original letters and journals which provide great insight into the conditions then.If anyone has any more info about Rockmount and can even remember the family there I too will be very grateful. Good luck Bells with your searches---- it is well worth it. Anne.
Callaoanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..