Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2008, 22:28   #1
Senior Member+

School trips

My 10yr old son is due to go away for a few days on a school trip, the closer it gets the more worried i am as the only time he has been away is for a few days to his nans.
My question is... did anyone go on any school trip overnight? and how did it go ?, I know he will be with his friends and it should boost his confidence, but i dont know if he is mature enough to be without me in a strange place. I was 14 when i 1st went on a overnight school trip but i could cope.
Also any school trips when you were younger i would be interested in hearing about, hence me putting it in the nostalgia section
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2008, 22:31   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: School trips

He'll be fine.

Stop fretting.

Time to let him find his feet, if only for a short while, until he's back with his mum.

Remind him you want a present bringing back though.

Last edited by garinda; 20-02-2008 at 22:33.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 22:33   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
How old is your son Jacky?

My guess is he's 10
Old 20-02-2008, 22:35   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
My guess is he's 10
Shut up!

Damn you were quick with that, before I re-edited.

Hope you find the same speed in the quiz.

Old 20-02-2008, 22:39   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
He'll be fine.

Stop fretting.

Time to let him find his feet, if only for a short while, until he's back with his mum.

Remind him you want a present bringing back though.
Oh he will bring me something back, he's really kind hearted , i know in my heart he will be fine but panic sets in, he cant wait to go
Old 20-02-2008, 22:39   #6
Give, give, give member

I was eleven, the first time I stopped overnight on a school trip.

A whole week..I loved it.

Old 20-02-2008, 22:40   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyalex View Post
i know in my heart he will be fine but panic sets in
My mum was like that....last week, when I went on holiday!

Old 20-02-2008, 22:41   #8
Resting in Peace

That was so funny .. took me a bit to work that one out, then just came back to point that you may have realised ....

Jackyalex .. remember my son going for a week in Wales at age 10 from All Saints .. was (maybe still is) a regular yearly thing for their top class at the same place, so always the staff knew how to handle.

Gosh, those children looked forward to it so much and were not disappointed, so go on let him have some fun ... his tales when he gets back will be all that is needed to confirm that you made the correct decision in letting him go.

Last edited by katex; 20-02-2008 at 22:44.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 22:42   #9
God Member

My daughter had just turned 10 when she went away with the brownies. She loved it.

First time I went away I was 17 so no point telling you my experiences of that, and anyway it will end up in the Over-18's
Old 20-02-2008, 22:49   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
My mum was like that....last week, when I went on holiday!
I think all mums worry about their boys, my hubby's mum still worries about him

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
That was so funny .. took me a bit to work that one out, then just came back to point that you may have realised ....

Jackyalex .. remember my son going for a week in Wales at age 10 from All Saints .. was (maybe still is) a regular yearly thing for their top class at the same place, so always the staff knew how to handle.

Gosh, those children looked forward to it so much and were not disappointed, so go on let him have some fun ... his tales when he gets back will be all that is needed to confirm that you made the correct decision in letting him go.
My son is in his last year and the school does the same, it takes the last year to the same place every year. maybe he is more confident than i think, it still scares me, i will be awake for a few nights me thinks till he comes back
Old 20-02-2008, 22:50   #11

My son went away for the week to Hothersall Lodge when he was in his final year at primary school, he had a whale of a time and everything came back covered in mud! I was anxious as to whether he would be ok - I think I missed him more than he missed me - especially as he didn't ring me all week! But I did get a pressie!
Old 20-02-2008, 23:40   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

when i was 10 went to london for 5 days with the school, had a ball,everyone enjoyed it, stayed at the "Munster Hotel" our landing had a bay that you could get on through the bedroom window, and some little sod changed the U in Munster to an O with white paint the decoraters had left, was a big inquest by the teachers, but the guilty one was not discovered. so dont worry,jacky n tell yer lad he will have a ball. i did.
Old 21-02-2008, 08:59   #13
God Member

My eldest was in his last year at primary when they went away for a few days, I was anxious too but he had a brilliant time, he also went away to Anglesey with school in his first year at secondary.
My youngest was so looking forward to it coming his turn but unfortunately when it came to his class's turn, the primary school stopped taking them away on overnight trips, he's now in his third year at secondary and still waiting to go on a school trip
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 09:41   #14
Resting in Peace

Just take comfort in the fact that all the Mothers will be feeling the same way Jacky .. at least with textes, etc., will be able to keep in touch (if they allow mobile phones). Trouble is little lads get carried away in their enjoyment and, although don't mean to be thoughtless, just forget sometimes...

My worst moments were when Jamie went to Ecuador for a whole month, working on a project in the jungle, climbing mountains, camping, travelling in jeeps, and particularly the night they arrived in Lima .. gun fighting in the streets. He was 16.

I cannot describe the wonderful feeling I had though when he came walking down that airport ramp, bronzed, taller, lost any puppy fat he had and the largest smile on his face, and soo full of gratitude for giving him the experience.

Probably in more danger on the school run.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 10:15   #15
Resting in Peace

I was twelve when I went to Holand and Germany with the school, in conjunction with St. Mary's youth club, we had a great time, but were grounded for going to a local cafe and sat there drinking bottles of larger

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..