Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2014, 23:03   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Steak Canadian

Whatever happened to them? The kebab of the 70's

Back home from the pub, open the freezer, peel a couple of square shaped processed gunk purporting to be meat from the layered paper and chuck them in the frying pan for a minute or so a side, slap them on a heavily buttered slice of bread, eat and fall asleep watching Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing attempting to kill each other with plastic fangs and balsa wood stakes.

P.S. next time Eric bangs on about how great Canada is..I'm gonna remind him of this particular brand of crud that Canada fair exported to us
Old 06-12-2014, 08:04   #2
JCB

Re: Steak Canadian

Steak Canadiann is still around .

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...s-25309-7.html

steak canadiann
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:03   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Odd cafes in town still sell em, have noticed on menus, n thought same as you,"you dont see em around much these days, cant tell yeh which uns as me local i use dont sell em,
Old 06-12-2014, 11:48   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
next time Eric bangs on about how great Canada is..I'm gonna remind him of this particular brand of crud that Canada fair exported to us
Crud it maybe, but par for the course after a few bevvies & the inevitable case of Beer fuelled munchies!

Last experienced I might add, 3 years back during the annual crimbo inebriations.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:44   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Whatever happened to them? The kebab of the 70's

You need to get out more Mr G..
Rumbletums on Whalley Road in Clayton sell them, I think they give them qualification to advertise themselves as Sandwich bar and Delicatessan.

Also,
Jack Fultons on Union Street sell freezer packs, a snip at £1:48 for 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steak C.JPG (126.5 KB, 22 views)
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 20:58   #6
God Member

Remember them well, my youngest when a little 'un misheard what was said & called them 'stinky aliens' . . . . . . maybe that wasn't so far from the truth
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 21:15   #7
Senior Member+

Weren't Ingham's Butchers in willows lane the first butcher in Accy to sell them?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 22:05   #8
God Member

Quote:

P.S. next time Eric bangs on about how great Canada is..I'm gonna remind him of this particular brand of crud that Canada fair exported to us
Never heard of "steak canadian" From the images on Google, it looks like the junk that is sold at Arby's .... Maybe it's moose ... or horse, even
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 22:24   #9
Senior Member+

I knew it back in the '50s as "Steak Canadienne" which were very thinly sliced steak, could be flank or some other joint, not processed meat. Remember they were fried for about a minute on each side very tasty between two doorsteps accompanied by fried onions.
Will check with Bob Fletcher who was a butcher at Slingers in those days.
Stevie R likes this.
Old 06-12-2014, 22:31   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I knew it back in the '50s as "Steak Canadienne" which were very thinly sliced steak, could be flank or some other joint, not processed meat. Remember they were fried for about a minute on each side very tasty between two doorsteps accompanied by fried onions.
Will check with Bob Fletcher who was a butcher at Slingers in those days.

I think they have always been reprocessed meat encompassing the worst of that process. Think kebab rottiserie machine sliced about 0.030" thick in old money.
Old 06-12-2014, 23:09   #11

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
a snip at £1:48 for 10.
Hehe..think they were a £1 for 10 way back then..which kinda shows that they were made from sweepings up that once saw a cow in a field...but..after a night on the beer...boy did they taste good...and just like the kebab..better cold for breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Never heard of "steak canadian" From the images on Google, it looks like the junk that is sold at Arby's .... Maybe it's moose ... or horse, even
Nah..googled Arby's, at least it looks like meat...no matter how you fried these reconstituted perfect frozen squares, they shrank to half their size, bubbled and twisted constantly so that you had one hand snipping with scissors and the other forcing down into the pan with the spatula....it never remotely looked like a steak
Old 06-12-2014, 23:12   #12

Ew - it sounds disgusting! Never even heard of it over here
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 00:12   #13
Super Moderator

What's wrong with 'em? Mrs H always buys a few from one of the butchers in the market hall when we come up and very tasty they are too! Invented by our local butcher, Derek Ingham.

Steak Canadiann...Accrington's culinary gift to the world!
Old 07-12-2014, 02:02   #14
I am Banned

Think it's a myth about em being invented in Accy.
Google gave me this:

This quote from a thread on Sheffield Forum explains one of the manufacturing processes used to make them:

"The next year I got a job in an abbatoir / food production plant making doner kebab meat / steak canadians (same stuff). 200Kg blocks of frozen mutton hearts would come in from Australia. We'd then tip them into a large stainless steel hopper together with a bag of liquid animal fat, and a sack of breadcrumbs/spices/additives. Huge claws would rotate down into the hopper; slicing the frozen hearts and generating a liquid slurry. This was then pumped through a giant nozzle into different shaped plastic bags. One shape was for a doner (round-ish) and the other was rectangular to be made into steak canadians (they were then frozen)."

I'll still be having a couple for my lunch today though, Mrs P frying em in olive oil (The healthy option !!).
Old 07-12-2014, 02:17   #15
God Member

Since I am amongst the few here who actually ate one I assure you that they were real, not processed, meat - beef sliced very thinly.

The ones that now masquerade as steak canadians (as shown in the pic) are a rip off version of the original.- like most of the junk food served up nowadays.

Incidentally, 'chicken in a basket' was popular at that time and that too was probably not from some fowl battery prison.

You young uns don't know what real food tasted like.
jelly baby, cashman and Stevie R like this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..