Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2010, 21:04   #1
Resting in Peace

Stiched in ?

Chatting to a friend tonight, we were discussing rather nasty body 'things', etc., that would have been difficult to deal with in years gone by and what we take for granted now (won't mention some .. family site like .. but did open with 'the curse' lol), but she mentioned that she remembered children in her years being stitched into their undergarments for the winter... Bear in mind she is more than 10 years younger than me.

I had never heard of it, and certainly don't remember any of my contemporaries having this practice inflicted on them.

Did it mean that they would never be able to have a bath ? Confused.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-09-2010, 21:11   #2
God Member

Re: Stiched in ?

Me neither, bet it stops thee undies fallin down tho

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 21:19   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Chatting to a friend tonight, we were discussing rather nasty body 'things', etc., that would have been difficult to deal with in years gone by and what we take for granted now (won't mention some .. family site like .. but did open with 'the curse' lol), but she mentioned that she remembered children in her years being stitched into their undergarments for the winter... Bear in mind she is more than 10 years younger than me.

I had never heard of it, and certainly don't remember any of my contemporaries having this practice inflicted on them.

Have heard of it, but not supposed to happen in, so called, modern times.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 21:25   #4
Beacon of light

No, never heard of children being stitched into their underwear.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 21:49   #5
Senior Member+

Pretty certain I can give you a few years Kate, and all the secondary schools in Accrington in my time had a session in the swimming baths in Scaitliffe St every week - besides would never have had the fun that I did if all the girls were stitched up:-)))
Old 29-09-2010, 21:54   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Ignore this Kates only bragging she got a friend.
Old 29-09-2010, 22:22   #7
I am Banned

Quote:

Never mind the bath, what about bog, she's taking the wee wee.
I'm owder than both of you, never heard of it.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 23:29   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No, never heard of children being stitched into their underwear.
Oh Margaret ... was relying on you too .. ask Ma.

Did lie a bit .. had sorta' heard of it in some Victorian History book but, as Less said ... not in our lifetime.

My friend (Cashy ... ) did name a particular poor family from Ossy.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 09:32   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Oh Margaret ... was relying on you too .. ask Ma.

Did lie a bit .. had sorta' heard of it in some Victorian History book but, as Less said ... not in our lifetime.

My friend (Cashy ... ) did name a particular poor family from Ossy.
From Ossy
Old 30-09-2010, 11:53   #10
Beacon of light

Kate.....I asked Ma...and while she doesn't go back to the Victorian era.......she has never heard of it either.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 12:42   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I think perhaps it may be some form of urban myth, but it's not one I've heard about, perhaps you misheard your friends comment & she actually said that "Their names were stitched into their undergarments" ? A common enough occurrence even today, as you certainly wouldn't want to be putting on Mucky Magrews Kex by mistake now would you ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 12:54   #12
God Member

I know that camphor blocks were 'stitched in' to vests and liberty bodices in winter, as an attempt to avert colds.

Bathing became more frequent in Tudor times when Queen Elizabeth I set the trend by bathing once a month.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 13:01   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I know that camphor blocks were 'stitched in' to vests and liberty bodices in winter, as an attempt to avert colds.

Bathing became more frequent in Tudor times when Queen Elizabeth I set the trend by bathing once a month.
What!!!! in Tudor times?
Old 30-09-2010, 13:11   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What!!!! in Tudor times?
The camphor blocks were in use in our lifetimes (we have a mutual friend who was subjected to it)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 13:29   #15

I've heard people talk about kids being stitched into their underwear but don't know anybody it happened to so it could be an urban myth.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..