Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2008, 19:13   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

The 'Baby-Boomers Are Grumpy Old Men & Women

Yes it's true we are 'Grumpy', but I think with good reason.
Our parents had spent years fighting in a World War from which we as a nation emerged 'Triumphant', but virtually bankrupt.
They were encouraged to have larger families because those children will be needed to put the country back on it's feet.
So we the 'Baby Boomers', arrived on this earth to fill the gaps left because of the devestation, we grew up being constantly reminded by parent's relations & politicians that they fought for 'us' and therefore we should be eternally grateful.
O.K. as it happens I am very grateful to the men and women that were sacrificed for their childrens future, nothing can or should be said against them.

Growing up and going to school we were all inevitably going to be factory fodder even those lucky and bright enough to go to Grammar School were to be used as such. The schools we went to were often ill-equipped for the task of producing anything else due to lack of investment, (no money it's was the war you know).

When on finally leaving school in the 60's & 70's we found ourselves in factories that hadn't changed in about thirty years, (no money it's was the war you know).
During the 70's the country was given a very welcome economic boost, North Sea Gas, how was it used? As much needed cash to bring our industies up to scratch with modern equipment and improved production methods?
No, it was used to give one heck of alot of us a gap year we didn't want to take.

The dole!

I had served an apprenticeship as an Electronics Engineer and electronics was coming into it's own. So, along with the other 'Skilled' workers that worked for a company manufacturing communications equipment it came as a very big suprise that due to the closure of so many other 'Older skill' factories we had no customers and a very competitive Country called Japan had built new factories which meant they could produce better and cheaper goods.

Like so many others we were thrown to the wall, so you find yourself with a useful skill and get advised to 'get on yer bike', stop complaining get out there move to were the jobs are. My young family is uprooted and moved to were the jobs are, only to discover after a short few months that the factory is now being affected by the depression and because it has a very strong union presence, redundencies are given out in the fairest manner that they know, 'last in first out.
Good old dole queue here we are again only this time without that little cushion called redundancy. Yet again you hear people calling the claimants scroungers and yet again you, 'get on yer bike'.

Have you noticed a pattern yet can you guess what happens? New town, New employer, same old rules, no prizes for knowing who is going to be first one given their cards, (the newcomer that got off his arse).

Eventually you get fed up of being unemployed in a strange town so you uproot you family and head for home, after all better to be skint walking streets that you know.

Luck Changes, you spent years touring the country and just five miles from home you get a job in your own trade working for......

'A Japanese based Company'

Eventually however the bubble bursts the yen goes down the pan and they are no longer investing in Britain, but that doen't really matter we've managed to survive through the 80's we are into the 90's and the recession seems so far away, We actually have some British Companies that are taking on!

Running parallel to this Government policy has changed and we are encouraged to have smaller families, this will assist in reducing the overcrowding in schools, let's get the pupil to teacher ratio down to below 30 per class, the funny thing is, as soon as they manage to reach this target a large amount of teachers are made redundant or forced into early retirement so you have your own children in overcrowded classrooms not exactly what we were promised is it?

Then somebody in some Whitehall Office does a few sums and it's discovered that although the national insurance paid in by the 'baby boomers', has covered for their parents retirement when it comes to their turn to retire their Childrens contributions won't cover for them, Something must be done to correct this situation! So far all they seem to have done is decided that in the interest of equality Womens retirement age will be increased to 65 just like the mens.

The world keeps turning but woe betide the 'baby Boomer', that having reached 50+ should become unemployed or even worse, 'ill' screams of retrain and yet again, 'get on yer bike' are pushed down our throats and to cap it all we seem to be to blame for global warming as well!

I have so far only scraped the surface of what has happened. maybe we didn't save the nation in a world war, but the debt that war incurred was carried and cleared during our working life, (not as exciting to talk about but true all the same). I haven't laid the blame for lack of foresight or of investment on any one particular political party all this post war thing has been a joint effort.

So the next time you hear a balding pot bellied moaner complaining, instead of blaming her or her husband, just consider, is this going to happen to me? Should I be taking a more careful look at what our politicians are doing for all our futures? Because if you don't 30 years from now, (if we still can afford electricity), YOU may be writing something like this!

Last edited by Less; 26-01-2008 at 19:17.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-01-2008, 19:45   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: The 'Baby-Boomers Are Grumpy Old Men & Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Because if you don't 30 years from now, (if we still can afford electricity), YOU may be writing something like this!
I doubt it will be so well written, or lucid.

It will be all txt spk, and probably have lots of lol's in it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 19:48   #3
Beacon of light

Less, I can identify with so much of that.
Both of my parents were employed in the cotton mills....and we all know the way they went.
My father was an electrical engineer.....he tried to stay employed all of his life, but he left the forces ill, and was given none of the handouts that would be forthcoming today.
And one of the most upsetting things I remember in my young life was being taken down to Melbourne Street, to what I presume was the 'Social'....being dumped on the counter by my mother, who told the staff there that she could not afford to keep us.....she had four pence in her purse until the following Friday. Certainly not enough to feed four small children........this was the land fit for heroes.......both parents working and yet not enough money coming in to put bread on the table.

I am one of those baby boomers. My childhood experiences left me with a fear of debt and a financial prudence that has (so far) meant that I do not ever hope to rely on state hand outs.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 20:04   #4

Thought provoking thread on many levels. It wouldn’t be out of place in quite a few of the forums here on AccyWeb. General Chat, Questions and Answers perhaps, Hints/Tips/Advice, Heritage and History. I get the feeling that it might be overlooked in the Nostalgia section, I hope not, I’m glad I read it, hope my reply isn’t seen as patronising , it’s not my intent.
Old 26-01-2008, 20:17   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Thought provoking thread on many levels. It wouldn’t be out of place in quite a few of the forums here on AccyWeb. General Chat, Questions and Answers perhaps, Hints/Tips/Advice, Heritage and History. I get the feeling that it might be overlooked in the Nostalgia section, I hope not, I’m glad I read it, hope my reply isn’t seen as patronising , it’s not my intent.
Do you know, I never miss a post, all I do is click NEW POST every time. It just comes up with all that has been posted, that way.

Great thread though Less.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 20:23   #6
God Member

north sea gas how was it used?it was given to the private sector syphoned off by corrupt politicians who were givien directorships of companies who were not directly affiliated with these companies.if north sea gas was nationalised as it should have been instead of syphoned off to private companies britain [even if it is scottish]wouldnt be in the mess by mismanagement ,it is today.we wouldnt need foreign migrants to work in our factories ,or any foreign bank loans our destiny would be in our own hands ..no but the greed of a few has destroyed our country...market forces..no you can stick them .britain should be governed for the good of the people........revolution anyone....
Old 26-01-2008, 20:34   #7

Thank you for the replies so far.....

I thought The, Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......."

Section more appropriate for it as, 'Nostalgia aint what it used to be', also, any errors can be covered by saying well it was such a long time ago and my mind isn't what it used to be.....
Old 26-01-2008, 20:50   #8
God Member

So very deep, and so very true, I have a vague recollection of a politician stating that we had to change to north sea gas, because once it was piped to land it is free, and, eternal. Like so many political comments, flawed, frought with lies and mostly benefitting...politicians! Well done less, super piece.
Old 26-01-2008, 20:59   #9
God Member

we are all doooooooooooomed
Old 26-01-2008, 21:27   #10
God Member

I have had an easier, healthier, more comfortable life than my grandmother did.
There is so much in life to be thankful for-- when you lower your expectations.

When you realise that the generation after you will have an even better life, it makes any struggle you had worthwhile.

When it gets down to basics, needs are -a roof over your head,a warm bed, and a full stomach.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 21:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

When you realise that the generation after you will have an even better life, it makes any struggle you had worthwhile.
Ah, but will they? We keep being told about wasted resorces!

Even Helium is reckoned to run out within the next ten years, how can you say they will have an better life when they won't have any balloons at parties to take apart and make funny voices with!

Old 26-01-2008, 21:55   #12
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I'm not actually sure that they will though. Sometimes it feels to me that we are sliding backwards. Perhaps we are the lucky ones, we've experienced the improvements in our lives but I think it's going to be tough for future generations. So many things seem to be disintegrating around us. Or am I just being cynical?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 22:50   #13
Yank in King Art's Court!

I agree with Margaret and Willow. At least over here in the States, I can't see the next generation doing as well as the Baby boomers.

Not merely montarily but they just don't seem to have previous generations work ethic, manners/respect, wiling to work their way up in the world, etc. Also, they have absolutely no idea of what delayed gratification is or the concept of saving for a rainy day. Ya see, over here, it never rains, cause we have credit cards!

Thanks for the thread Less.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 23:16   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ya shouldn,t have put this in nostalgia mate, cos unfortunately this will never stop recurring,some may take it in n attempt to change things, but they wont be the know alls, the i'm alright F*** You people that maggie created, who sadly now seem to be passing that phylosophy on to the kids. great post.
Old 26-01-2008, 23:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
I agree with Margaret and Willow.

Brian
Erm excuse me? how can you agree with them both? if I read her post correctly, Margaret seems to be of the opinion the next generation will have it even better than she in turn did compared to her Grandmother, whereas, Willow was putting forward doubts that things would be as easy for them!

I'm of the opinion that life is and always will be a struggle and it only needs one generation, (ours or the next one), to say, "sod you jack I'm alright", for us to be back in the dark ages of wars, famine and uncaring society.

Oooooh! look we've already got all those, Soooo, it must have been my generation, this lot just coming up now haven't had the chance to make such almighty cock-ups.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..