Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2008, 10:08   #1
Resting in Peace

The Black Panther

There's a TV program on tonight at 10-35pm called true crime, its about the Black Panther, Donald Neilson, who killed Baxenden postmaster Derek Astin in 1975, and went onto kill other postmasters and heiress Lesley Whittle. I remember that day, I was working for Arnold Rileys Joiners behind the Victoria Pub on Manchester Road, the road was blocked of most of the day, well there were road blocks and you had to stop every time you went up Manchester road. My local pub at the time was Hargreaves Arms and the police used to use it as well so we got to know how the investigation was going. When they eventually caught Neilson there was one hell of a party
Old 17-04-2008, 10:31   #2
God Member

Re: The Black Panther

I worked with Derek Astin's daughter Susan for many years.
She, as a child, had witnessed his murder.
I hope that they have had the courtesy to advise her of this programme's imminent screening.
We tend to forget that there are other 'victims' besides the deceased.
She carries the burden of what she witnessed for the rest of her life.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 10:40   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I worked with Derek Astin's daughter Susan for many years.
She, as a child, had witnessed his murder.
I hope that they have had the courtesy to advise her of this programme's imminent screening.
We tend to forget that there are other 'victims' besides the deceased.
She carries the burden of what she witnessed for the rest of her life.
Couldn't agree more Margaret, TV companies tend to foreget the ones left behind. Was the same with the London Bombings, everytime they mentioned them they showed that Bus, It must have been very upsetting for the relatives of Maria Hartey, I knew both her parents John and Barbara, who are now both sadly no longer with us, but I'm sure those shots of that bus would have been heartbreaking for them every time they were shown
Old 02-05-2008, 11:34   #4

Coincedence abound!
Jaysay - you were working at Arnold Rileys in '75 - Steven Astin, Dereks son served his time at rileys circa 1981 to 1984. As did I a couple of years earlier ('79 to '83). Sadly Steven too has now passed away, and with some sad irony he and his father were the same age when they passed on. Steven was a friend of mine both at work and previously at school and Baxenden scouts and Derek, also a joiner was a friend of my Dads.

Cheers
Ian
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 14:39   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
Coincedence abound!
Jaysay - you were working at Arnold Rileys in '75 - Steven Astin, Dereks son served his time at rileys circa 1981 to 1984. As did I a couple of years earlier ('79 to '83). Sadly Steven too has now passed away, and with some sad irony he and his father were the same age when they passed on. Steven was a friend of mine both at work and previously at school and Baxenden scouts and Derek, also a joiner was a friend of my Dads.

Cheers
Ian
Hi Ian, I left Rileys in 1976 went working for Valley Refrigeration and Shopfitters, had some good times whilst I was there, but I finally feel out with Mary and David, infact there were about 4 of us left at the same time. That was of course before they went big and then finally moved and went bust. I still kept in touch with some of the lads for a while, I was a big mate of Jimmy Galbraith, who sadly died in 1980 so I bet you may have known him, Joe Taylor was another and Tommy Yates, and not to forget Jon Martin who I actually went to school with, thanks for reminding me about those times Ian
Old 02-05-2008, 17:27   #6

Jaysay,So as not to hijack the thread, you have a PM
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 18:05   #7
God Member

Neilson was a monster, will be glad to watch again just to see his eventual demise again.
Old 02-05-2008, 18:21   #8
Give, give, give member

The terrible incident that happened in Baxenden was barely mentioned. There was just one shot of the Post Office, and the police investigating the crime in their office.

The programme was really about the poor girl from the Midlands who was kidnapped and killed, Lesley Whittle.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 10:08   #9
Resting in Peace

It was announced yesterday that The Black Panther Donald Neilson, will have to send the rest of his life in jail, he had appealed to have his mimimum terif set at 30 years which would have meant he would be eligible for parol now, but the cour of appeal threw it out, at last the judicial system have got something right, I hope he rots in jail
Old 13-06-2008, 10:40   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It was announced yesterday that The Black Panther Donald Neilson, will have to send the rest of his life in jail, he had appealed to have his mimimum terif set at 30 years which would have meant he would be eligible for parol now, but the cour of appeal threw it out, at last the judicial system have got something right, I hope he rots in jail
Good.

Though I just hope no bleeding heart liberal comes along and insists that his civil liberty has been impeached, and takes his case to appeal.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 11:34   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Good.

Though I just hope no bleeding heart liberal comes along and insists that his civil liberty has been impeached, and takes his case to appeal.
As if Rindi as if
Old 13-06-2008, 12:45   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its times like this i'm happy Lord Longford croaked.
Old 13-06-2008, 16:07   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
its times like this i'm happy Lord Longford croaked.
Yes cashy the Noble Lord has not been missed
Old 13-06-2008, 16:38   #14
Resting in Peace

The film is an old one its been on many times... so I think the family will know about it:

I also have a book on the Black Panther, I think its out of print now... and there was also a film made about it:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 17:39   #15

I think the murder was September 1974, he had previously killed a sub-postmaster at Harrogate. The film was well made and not sensational, Marjorie Yates played his wife.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..