Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2011, 20:46   #16
Junior Member+

Re: The CLINIC!!!!

My memory of the clinic was going there for what I guess was a polio jab in '55 or '56.

There had been an outbreak somewhere in the North of England so all children were called in for either their first or a booster jab.

Looking back the really worrying thing is that because my mother knew the nurse doing the jabs she made sure I got 'the new needle'. (So how many poor souls / needle?) No wonder the kiddie in front of me howled like a banshee.

Rgds

John45378
John45378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2011, 21:20   #17
Beacon of light

The old needle would have been a multi use one(makes me shudder when I think of it).......they were blunter than a butter knife, having pierced endless rubber bungs and the as many again skins....you probably got one of the first disposable needles. Much kinder and much safer too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 08:53   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The old needle would have been a multi use one(makes me shudder when I think of it).......they were blunter than a butter knife, having pierced endless rubber bungs and the as many again skins....you probably got one of the first disposable needles. Much kinder and much safer too.
Wa Margaret, can remember when the flue jab came out at first, the first aide guy at Shopfitters Tom Davies used to do the deed, it was a matter of getting in first while the needle was still sharp
Old 14-11-2011, 09:20   #19
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Never went to the dentist at the Clinic
Consider yourself fortunate , Wyn .

It wasn't an experience to be recommended .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 18:02   #20

Oh don't remind me, I went to see the optician there.
Irene B (was Davies)
IRENE BAINBRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 18:18   #21
Senior Member+

I was working there today putting a new kitchen in the staffroom, it is now a nursery owned by my employers. But i remember going to the dentists there, i knocked the dentist on his backside when coming round off gas. He probably deserved it, i think he was kicked out of the gestapo for cruelty

Last edited by walkinman221; 07-02-2012 at 18:22.
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 19:04   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John45378 View Post
My memory of the clinic was going there for what I guess was a polio jab in '55 or '56.

There had been an outbreak somewhere in the North of England so all children were called in for either their first or a booster jab.

Looking back the really worrying thing is that because my mother knew the nurse doing the jabs she made sure I got 'the new needle'. (So how many poor souls / needle?) No wonder the kiddie in front of me howled like a banshee.

Rgds

John45378
Yes it was 1956 accy did have an out break of polio, resulted in my grandma dying & effected my dads family massively, so yes getting innoculised was very important.

Hated cannon street - gave me the creeps that dentist was brutal it put me off dentists as a child, luckily not like that these days

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 21:52   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Never went to the dentist at the Clinic, but had plenty of jabs there - polio, diptheria, smallpox etc.
Only remember going for the polio ...wasn't an injection ...just a lump of sugar to ingest.

Also, never had the smallpox injections, as the programme for eradication had begun. Well, I think the round scar patch of about 2 cms with four little pin prick marks within it, was that. Some people had about four of these on their arms.... mmm... must research.

Last edited by katex; 07-02-2012 at 21:56.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 21:58   #24
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Only remember going for the polio ...wasn't an injection ...just a lump of sugar to ingest.

Also, never had the smallpox injections, as the programme for eradication had begun. Well, I think the round patch of about 2 cms with four little pin prick marks within it, was that. Some people had about four of these on their arms.... mmm... must research.
Didn't the BCG vaccination for TB look like that as well?
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 22:09   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Didn't the BCG vaccination for TB look like that as well?
No, that sometimes just came up in a lump, and could leave a very small circular scar.

There was something about scraping the surface of the skin away first, which freaked me out. My mum had one.

Will be people around still, I would think, that have them. Will accost very old people to enquire..
Old 07-02-2012, 22:15   #26
Resting In Peace

Quote:
No, that sometimes just came up in a lump, and could leave a very small circular scar.

There was something about scraping the surface of the skin away first, which freaked me out. My mum had one.

Will be people around still, I would think, that have them. Will accost very old people to enquire..
Yes you are right, just checked - my BCG scar is about 1cm in diameter, the smallpox ones were bigger and slightly sunk below the skin surface.

I do remember the sugar lump for polio!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 22:28   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

When me dad had T.B. which would be Mid/Late 60s all family n his friends had to have it. He was shoved in Withnell, but don't remember that much about it, cos me mam was in another Hospital very poorly wi summat else, so being eldest i had to run the house, get brother n sis up fer school,feed em etc etc, plus i was working at the time, was a real bitch, But still kate yeh can accost me anytime.
Old 07-02-2012, 22:38   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
But still kate yeh can accost me anytime.
LOL ...would accept the invitation, but you are too young for my research.

See this, Susie, yes, they were the smallpox vaccinations. Was a comment on You Tube made in 2007.

"Checking out my old smallpox vaccination scar for vaccine. Over fifty years ago a doctor scratched the skin of my upper left arm with a small knife and smeared the smallpox vaccine into the wound. This barbaric technique was common practice in those days amongst some older doctors and resulted in a very large scar."

Last edited by katex; 07-02-2012 at 22:40.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:58   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
LOL ...would accept the invitation, but you are too young for my research.

See this, Susie, yes, they were the smallpox vaccinations. Was a comment on You Tube made in 2007.

"Checking out my old smallpox vaccination scar for vaccine. Over fifty years ago a doctor scratched the skin of my upper left arm with a small knife and smeared the smallpox vaccine into the wound. This barbaric technique was common practice in those days amongst some older doctors and resulted in a very large scar."
Ya I remember have the smallpox vaccine in the 60s Kate and the doctor using like bobbin with needles sticking out of one end and keep stabbing my upper left arm with it before applying the vaccine, if I remember rightly I was a bit rough for a few days after that and one of the other lads who was going away on holiday with us was very poorly with it, it actually put him in bed for about 10 days
Old 08-02-2012, 11:22   #30
Senior Member+

I had to go for a medical there before I started on Accy buses, waste of time really, I only lasted three weeks.
I was examined by a big butch nurse who delighted in squeezing my tender bits.
My old mate Ernie Walton warned me about her, he had the same treatment the year before.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..