Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 00:06   #1

The Coronation

Does anyone remember the Coronation on 2nd June - 1953? We had a street party in Harrow Street, Oswaldtwistle - I have a photo. It was a cold, wet day - we're all dressed in winter clothes, sitting at a long trestle table. My Dad bought me a "Queen" cup and saucer, which I've still got - it shows the Queen with little Prince Charles and little Princess Anne. I started school that year at Hippings Methodist. Each morning, besides our third of a pint of milk, we got some of that thick clinic orange juice and a big tablespoon of cod liver oil. We learned to read using the "Beacon Readers" but soon progressed onto Enid Blyton - Noddy, Secret Seven, Famous Five, etc. Girls liked to read the "Mallory Towers" books - about a girls' boarding school where they had midnight feasts in the "dorm". My favourite comics were "Robin Comic", "TV Comic", "Bunty" and "Judy". Those were the days!
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-11-2009, 09:59   #2

Re: The Coronation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
Does anyone remember the Coronation on 2nd June - 1953? We had a street party in Harrow Street, Oswaldtwistle - I have a photo. It was a cold, wet day - we're all dressed in winter clothes, sitting at a long trestle table. My Dad bought me a "Queen" cup and saucer, which I've still got - it shows the Queen with little Prince Charles and little Princess Anne. I started school that year at Hippings Methodist. Each morning, besides our third of a pint of milk, we got some of that thick clinic orange juice and a big tablespoon of cod liver oil. We learned to read using the "Beacon Readers" but soon progressed onto Enid Blyton - Noddy, Secret Seven, Famous Five, etc. Girls liked to read the "Mallory Towers" books - about a girls' boarding school where they had midnight feasts in the "dorm". My favourite comics were "Robin Comic", "TV Comic", "Bunty" and "Judy". Those were the days!

Ican remember going to Oswaldtwistle town hall to collect my Coronation cup,but was never allowed to use it.
What ever happened to it i will never know
I didn,t go in for reading girly comics ,i was only four at the time.
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:29   #3
Resting in Peace

I remember it well even though I was only 6 at the time, I went with my Mum Dad and Grandma to watch it on TV at Jimmy Gorrels Grocers shop on Union Road (later became the Steak Bar and is now pat of Owing A Hewings insurance) after that there was a street party on Hodgson Street, which was moved to the Foxhill Grove church rooms when it came on raining, all the kids got a tin of chocolates and a cup and saucer
Old 05-11-2009, 15:20   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

Every house was decorated with bunting, crowns, banners. About 40 people were squeezed into our house to watch it on TV but my mother said I had to join the local "procession". All us West End children had to meet up at the dairy and were given paper flags to wave. We then had to walk down the middle of Blackburn Road, waving the flags - no band or anything, just the sound of shuffling feet - to St Thomas's church opposite our house. There was a tea party in the church.

I was 10 years old and did not want to be part of it, especially as it was drizzling, and walked with a sullen face and a trailing flag. My mother said I had to join in because she had contributed food. Once in the church hall I think I had 1 sandwich then bolted home.

To be honest, though, the coronation service on TV was very boring; it went on all day, was in black and white and could only be seen at a size of about 9 inches across a room thick with cigarette smoke. I really had wanted to be off with the dog somewhere.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..