Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2013, 12:45   #301
I am Banned

Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Seem to recall they had a Sally Army place up St James Street,just past the baths.?
Can't remember that MrC but I do remember em' coming int' Bridge selling War Cry..alway thought it was a strange title for what was a religious pamphlet ??
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2013, 12:55   #302

Quote:
Seem to recall they had a Sally Army place up St James Street,just past the baths.?
Yes, you"re right cashman, but that was a place of worship, not a hostel.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 14:22   #303
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Yes, you"re right cashman, but that was a place of worship, not a hostel.
Ah that explains the singing i remember. always used to buy a war cry in the boozer, at the time never really knew why.
Old 22-05-2013, 14:51   #304
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Ah that explains the singing i remember. always used to buy a war cry in the boozer, at the time never really knew why.
Hedging your bets you unrepentant sinner!
Old 22-05-2013, 15:25   #305
I am Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Hedging your bets you unrepentant sinner!
Well he never bought it for the crossword DinG...judging by his spellin'
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 15:40   #306
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Well he never bought it for the crossword DinG...judging by his spellin'
Our Cashy likes a flutter & a couple of bob for a placing seemed a good shout. (that & the chance to rescue his immortal scoundrel soul).
Old 22-05-2013, 17:05   #307
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Can't remember that MrC but I do remember em' coming int' Bridge selling War Cry..alway thought it was a strange title for what was a religious pamphlet ??
Think they had a place on Charter Street at one time, towards the willows lane end, looked like a prefab
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 17:32   #308
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think they had a place on Charter Street at one time, towards the willows lane end, looked like a prefab
It is an asian centre now.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Cha...,33.94,,0,4.39

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 17:44   #309
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Ho Hum looks like they're taking over the area altogether
Old 23-05-2013, 06:01   #310
Mog

Quote:
Quite right Jaysay. All us kids from Crown St, Ranger St,
Brown St, Canning St. used to go there on a Sunday morning/Afternoon about 1955/6/7. Sing a few songs, Say a few prayers and you got a drink and some cake or something to eat. We even got days out to Southport and Fleetwood with them.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 08:20   #311
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Quite right Jaysay. All us kids from Crown St, Ranger St,
Brown St, Canning St. used to go there on a Sunday morning/Afternoon about 1955/6/7. Sing a few songs, Say a few prayers and you got a drink and some cake or something to eat. We even got days out to Southport and Fleetwood with them.
Just wondering Mog when it changed into an Islamic centre, the centre used to be a house in the adjoining street.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:23   #312
Mog

Quote:
Just wondering Mog when it changed into an Islamic centre, the centre used to be a house in the adjoining street.
Dont known about that as I left long time ago. But it was called Charter Hall all the time I was there.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 05:14   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
Just read the thread and remembered I had an old photo somewhere of my Father sat on some railings opposite the bus station looks like had been working ?

Wondered if anyone knew any of them ?
It was a long time ago, but my husband thinks the painter was Ronnie Ashworth, he also knew the chap on his left but cannot remember his name.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 19:31   #314
Junior Member+

I remember Ernie lee and John Duffy on the "Deck", and a guy we called Ernie Glasses also Alan Sutcliffe. I don't recall t being grammer school boys - quite the reverse, it was fast and dangerous types that my mother certainly would not approve of, and who I had to dream up complex "excuses" for going past the "deck", to suss out who was hanging out there. There was also an older man called Arnold, who had a cottage up near Spire Farm at the top of the "green" part of Sandy Lane. This cottage had a stone carving dating from the 1600's and was reputedly where Oliver Cromwell once stayed. Arnold was famous for riotous parties, with "guests" from the visiting West Indies cricketers, who first introduced us to illicit smoking substances! Arnold also rented a house at the bottom end of Burnley Rd, near the then English Electric showrooms in Abbey St(now Age Uk! - Does anyone else recall Arnold? and the parties?....
jenny creasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 18:50   #315

I don’t remember any of us being on the deck that much!
Vito, Isaac, Kev Florrie, Billy Cook, Brian Abbott (& Monica)
Steve Astin, Pop Floyd & me (Seddy) were always in
the Derby skinning up! Hello......is anyone out there
still alive?
It’s 2019 now.
Seddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..