Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2004, 09:21   #46

Re: The Deck

The first cafe to have a juke box was the Melbo which was situated on Melbourne St,
the other main cafe was Lens which was on Church Street,the Blue Dahlia followed
later.Another well known Cafe was the clock cafe at Clitheroe.
accyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2004, 20:55   #47

as a former resident of princess st I remember jimmy crawshaw living with his mother on blackburn road facing sacred heart church mick absolom on lonsdale st and had a beautiful sister who was a model jimmy also was at one time entertainment mananger at marthorme grange night club
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:49   #48
Super Moderator

Mik, Len's was on the corner of Eden Street and Ranger Street, just across the street from the side of St Peter's school (now Wolstenholmes' funeral parlour). Still reckon it was the best chippy in town.

Alan, what was I doing in coffee bars in Blackburn at 13? Well, you know how it is, you tell your folks you're going to your mate's house, he tells his folks he's going to yours and off you go. You must have done it!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 08:20   #49

Yes I did it mate. this will give you a laugh, me and my mate Paul Grant, used to wear bell bottom jeans, we frayed the bottoms, and stitched bells on. He was;nt allowed to wear jeans, so he got changed at a mates place. His dad thought he ws wearing a suit and tie. One night we went into the Off Licence, on the corner, accross from the Clock Garage to get some Cider and the Cops were waiting for us outside, ( Only 16 ) they took us home to our parents, my mum broke down and cried. Then it was his turn, he said to the cops, can you take me round to my mates place so I can get changed back into my suit, so they said OK, then took us to his house, his dad went bolistik, said his name would be in the paper, cops had to pull hime off him, god knows what he would have done if he had'nt got changed . We had to go down the station the next day for a telling off by the Sargent. Did anybody else go in to that Off Licence, near the Arcs Ballroom?.I Remember the the Cafe in Melbourne St and itsjuke box and the clock cafe in Clitheroe.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 12:39   #50
Super Moderator

Al, I remember that off-licence! Once when we were in the Arcs, we nipped out to buy some booze from there. We were all aged 14-15, so it was a bit of a lark. As we came out of the shop, a squad car appeared, so the lad who was carrying it rushed up a back street and hid it in a bin 'ole. We crept back when the coast was clear, just in time to see a little old lady extracting something from the same bin 'ole and scurrying off round the corner. Needless to say, it was our booze! I bet she had a good night - we didn't because we'd spent all our money, so we didn't even have enough for a coke when we went back into the Arcs!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 13:43   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
as a former resident of princess st I remember jimmy crawshaw living with his mother on blackburn road facing sacred heart church mick absolom on lonsdale st and had a beautiful sister who was a model jimmy also was at one time entertainment mananger at marthorme grange night club
Correct Keith...Mick Absoloms sister was a cracker, but wouldn't look at you unless you had wads of money. Didn't know that Jimmy Crow had been the entertainment manager at Martholme Grange.

Anybody seen him lately?
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2004, 08:30   #52

There were quite a few girls in Accy in the 60s, who would'nt look at you unless you had wads of money, I think they thought it was their ticket out of working class life.
Old 25-09-2004, 13:19   #53
Senior Member+

Has anything really changed,there are always girls everywhere who won't look at you unless you have loads of money! ha ha that's the way of the world!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2004, 20:11   #54

mick absoloms sister Jackie as been featured in the observer remember photos the last two weeks she was indeed a lovely girl but now another name for a regular on the deck big reg whose father was landlord of the Bay horse baxenden his haunts were the Bull on bullbridge up the con also the ritz a real round the town man
Old 27-09-2004, 09:23   #55

any chance of putting them on here to see if I recognise her. How old would she be.
Old 27-09-2004, 19:42   #56

The heading over this weeks photo reads 1964 beauty contest and I would guess jackie looks round twenty so that makes coming up sixty wonder what she looks like now as regards posting the picture sorry only got a pc and printer and I
Old 27-09-2004, 19:54   #57

sorry about that I was going to say I have not mastered them yet as regards the observer picture they are taken from garth dawsons new book entitled garth dawsons accrington out in october with 90 pictures within it Last weeks picture was a printing mistake which they apologized for this week
Old 05-10-2004, 09:05   #58

Well, what happened?, did she do well for herself and marry into money. The suspence is killing me.
Old 05-10-2004, 20:05   #59

I have to be honest never met the girl Mick her brother often talked about her winning beauty competitions and her picture was often in the papers but have no idea were her or mick are now I know they wont live in lonsdale street thats for sure
Old 03-11-2004, 21:17   #60

There must be a hell of a lot of other ex Accy people around the UK & the world. Who would love this great site. The next best thing to being there. Pity we cant reach them. What with all the regular contrbutors. To mention a few. ( Atarah, Wil A the Wisp, Wynonie, Darby, Mez and all the others I could mention It gives us a chance to meet on the Deck, any time we want, so thanks for all the memories ane photos to you all. Ps I make no apologies for being nostalgic and sentimental.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..