Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2005, 21:47   #91

Re: The Deck

Looks like most of the people I knew moved away from the area, or dont know about Accy Web, It would be interesting to know what they are doing now. Or maybe they are not sentimental like me.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-03-2005, 21:51   #92
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
Looks like most of the people I knew moved away from the area, or dont know about Accy Web, It would be interesting to know what they are doing now. Or maybe they are not sentimental like me.
I was thinking that way myself...

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 17:22   #93
Resting in peace

Hmmm ... guys from the 60s we had a crush on - how do we know they won't be Accywebbers now, and that could be embarrassing! That said, there was one blond guy from the Grammar School that I fancied like mad when I was about 15 .....
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2005, 21:21   #94

Can anyone get a photo of the Blue Daliha, to put on here , just to bring back the memories. Long live the deck, dont let this thread die.
Old 17-03-2005, 22:01   #95
Resident Waffler

Oh the Blue Dahlia. I would love to see a piccie of it if anybody has one.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 07:44   #96
Super Moderator

Yeah, I'd love to see a pic of the Dahlia, too. Sadly, no one ever thought of taking photos at the time, as we were too busy enjoying ourselves! Just moving out of town slightly, has anyone got any memories of the Jazz Club? I used to love that place! Always a great atmosphere, a well-stocked bar (and they weren't too fussy about how old you looked!) and you could have a bop to the Riverside Jazzmen! Everything, in fact, for a great night out!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 07:46   #97
Resident Waffler

I have to admit to having "sneaked" in there too when I was far too young to go to such places. Not that you actually needed to sneak where the Jazz Club was concerned and not that I liked jazz either but it was just one of those things you did.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 08:27   #98
Super Moderator

I never liked jazz much either, especially the sort of trad jazz that the Riverside Jazzmen played. But it seemed great after the fifth pint!
Old 22-03-2005, 20:30   #99

As you Know Wynonnie I loved the Jazz Club to, Sunday nights, saw Kenny Ball, Chris Barber, my brother Kevin and his wife worked behind the bar. hard to believe it was just a wooden hut. Garth Dawson, must have photos of Blue Dahlia and the Jazz Club. maybe, Atarha can help or Owd Bert.
Old 23-03-2005, 14:49   #100
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

reading the replys,noticed nobody remembers the no1 stall,as a popular meeting place in the 60s,people used to come round from the deck for the crack.anyone else remember or what?
Old 24-03-2005, 10:19   #101
Super Moderator

Yeah, Al, just a wooden hut, but what a wooden hut! And don't forget, apart from the jazz nights, the club also hosted folk, blues and rock bands. One night in 1969 I saw a black American guy called Champion Jack Dupree give a stunning recital of piano blues...one of the best performances I've ever seen in my life.
Old 24-03-2005, 12:03   #102

Talking Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
reading the replys,noticed nobody remembers the no1 stall,as a popular meeting place in the 60s,people used to come round from the deck for the crack.anyone else remember or what?
I remember it well. It was a meeting place/hanging out place for us girls. Also the sunspot on Church St. Never played the machines much, just hung around there.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 18:05   #103
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thumbs up Re: The Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby
I remember it well. It was a meeting place/hanging out place for us girls. Also the sunspot on Church St. Never played the machines much, just hung around there.
dont remember the sunspot,was that the 60s or later,old age is a terrible thing.
Old 24-03-2005, 21:21   #104
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
dont remember the sunspot,was that the 60s or later,old age is a terrible thing.
It was late sixtys, I remember when they opened the Wimpy across from the market hall/Town hall and gave everyone free tickets for Hamburgers, it was great sport trying to get as many as you could

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 23:42   #105
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thumbs up Re: The Deck

remember the wimpy,still cant remember the sunspot from the 60s.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..