Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2006, 14:31   #121
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: The Deck

A few weeks ago in an idle moment I decided that a nostalgia trip to Accrington was on the cards. Actually I was hoping to find a large flag with Accrington Stanley on it on the market but none were to be found.

I managed to find a parking spot close to the deck and took a slow stroll round to lean on the railings and ponder life in general.

I fell flat on my face!

Who removed the railings?
Old 29-06-2006, 16:48   #122
God Member

Re: The Deck

just came across this thread and it's like going back in a time machine to the late 60s ......just some of the names and places mentioned ...vito, isacc, the deck ,the backroom at the Derby, the little Bull and St. Johns Tavern pubs in Blackburn, (I allways like the original Yates wine lodge near the Burtons shop)
Two of the best/hottest looking girls who used to hang out downtown Accy at that time were from the west-end of Ossie , Jackie Taylor a tall gal near to 6ft and her mate Vanda/Wanda ? , Think I heard somewhere Jackie had married a dentist and emigrated to Canada. other names I remember from that time are Tony Palmer, Dave Bickerstaff, all regulars at the Blue Dahlia .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 23:17   #123
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

tony palmer - steeljack thats a real blast from the past, aint seen him since very early 70s,wonder where he is now?
Old 30-06-2006, 00:02   #124

Went out with Vonda a couple of times, Talk about take your breath away. Jackie & Vonda were always together, like twins.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 00:19   #125
God Member

Alan Gilmartin wrote .........."Talk about take your breath away"

yep , bet they are both Grandmas by now ........if Jackie took after her mother she is still a crackerjack, her Mom and mine were friends from their teenage years , for some reason mine allways got misty eyed whenever they showed the movie "Yanks" on TV ..................
Old 30-06-2006, 00:28   #126
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
tony palmer - steeljack thats a real blast from the past, aint seen him since very early 70s,wonder where he is now?
Last time I saw Tony was about 1975/6 in the Catholic club in Gt. Harwood he had married an Arrod lass called Pauline Starkie/Starky ........we had both done a Further Education teachers certificate at Accy tech and I think he had a govt. job retraining laid off workers
Old 16-07-2006, 21:11   #127
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

had to mention was walking on the deck end of last week,going to the chemist on peel st, who did i bump into with a bandana round his head,beard,torn trolleys, wheeling a pushbike, i was with clayton dave (the taxman lol), and this guy says hi have you got a fag, i cracked up laughing just reminded me of him in the 60s, come on you older gits WHO was it. was just sorry had no fags on me.
Old 16-07-2006, 21:16   #128
God Member

got to be either Vito or Isacc .........I'll say Vito
Old 16-07-2006, 21:17   #129
Super Moderator

Ain't gonna answer this one, Mr C, as you've told me already. Can't believe he hasn't changed, though...40 years on and he STILL hasn't got round to buying a packet of fags!
Old 16-07-2006, 22:08   #130
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack
wrong one steeljack,but my lips are sealed.
Old 17-07-2006, 14:51   #131
Senior Member+

Memories of The Deck

I know who it was, it MUST HAVE BEEN ISSAC aka Jeffrey Heyes.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 16:12   #132
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
had to mention was walking on the deck end of last week,going to the chemist on peel st, who did i bump into with a bandana round his head,beard,torn trolleys, wheeling a pushbike, i was with clayton dave (the taxman lol), and this guy says hi have you got a fag, i cracked up laughing just reminded me of him in the 60s, come on you older gits WHO was it. was just sorry had no fags on me.
Quote:
I don't think Vito will be very pleased with that. I'll show it to him when I see him.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 17:59   #133
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF
I don't think Vito will be very pleased with that. I'll show it to him when I see him.
As Steeljack currently resides in 'Frisco (the lucky sod!), I don't suppose he'll be too bothered!
Old 18-07-2006, 23:57   #134

Which school did Vito & Isacc go to.?
Old 19-07-2006, 00:00   #135

Come on Cash let me in on the secret.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..