Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-08-2004, 07:02   #1
Super Moderator

The Deck

Remember the Deck? It was the popular name given to the area in front of the market hall stretching from the town hall to the bus station and it was THE place to hang out for generations of teenagers from Accy and district.

I "served my time" there from the mid-60's to the early 70's. Saturday afternoons were the prime time with the long haired/hippie types lounging around at the town hall end and the mod dudes showing off their cool threads at the bus station end. Whenever I walk past on a Saturday nowadays it's practically deserted, so I guess kids must hang around somewhere else.

Anyone else have any memories of the place?
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-08-2004, 09:53   #2

Re: The Deck

I to remember the deck,it was a very poplar meeting place,we used to lean on the
railings just watching the talent go by when women looked like women.I dont think
the saying (see you on the deck) exists any more but that was how it used to be.
accyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2004, 22:44   #3
Senior Member+

Lets see .. who can I remember from there....... Issac.....Tunny
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004, 06:30   #4
Super Moderator

Isaac, Florrie and Vito were all real characters and permanent fixtures on the deck, or so it seemed at the time. There were actually two Tunnys who were brothers - "big" Tunny and "little" Tunny. "Little" Tunny lives down South and runs a successful mug manufacturing business. He occasionally posts on the Stanley forum on this site.
Old 26-08-2004, 15:38   #5
Senior Member+

I thought outside Wooolies was the meeting place for the culturally conscious folk of Accrington...hey hey hey...or was it the Copper Kettle?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004, 15:43   #6

The woolies side of the road was the meeting place for the upper crust.
Old 26-08-2004, 15:49   #7
Senior Member+

I thought that the Town Hall benches was for the flat cappers and pensioners.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004, 21:00   #8
Senior Member+

The Deck

I forgot to ask, which railings did you lean on. I dont remember any railings?????
Old 27-08-2004, 06:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
I forgot to ask, which railings did you lean on. I dont remember any railings?????
Of course you do Atarah!!! The ones at the side of the town hall (Broadway side) and the Rawtenstall bus stop was at the other side. But there weren't any outside Wollies.

Remember Ollie? He use to stand on the deck, poor lad he was 3 bricks short of a building set. Last saw him a couple of years ago...he didn't recognised me, and I don't think he recognised anybody...shame really.

Did you ever go into the Blue Dahlia Cafe? We knew it as the Blue Dandelion, Sunday afternoons just after 2 (Pubs closed then), drinking coffee and cackling.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2004, 07:44   #10
Senior Member+

The Deck (photo by Jambutty from an old posting)

Oh silly me, I didn't realise you meant THESE railings!!!!

This photo was on an old posting by Jambutty (hope its OK I have shown it)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waltersmithvan.jpg (94.0 KB, 322 views)
Old 27-08-2004, 08:53   #11

The van in the picture was owned by Walter Smith confectioners,they had a shop in
Whalley Road near to Bootleggars.There pies were really good,as was all the stuff they
used to make,the shop was always busy why it shut down so quickly I dont know!.
Old 27-08-2004, 09:02   #12
Super Moderator

What a great picture, Atarah! It really brings back memories. I seem to remember when I was a nipper (round about the time this picture was taken) that the railings were the favourite hanging out place for the local teddyboys. They always looked a bit sinister to me in their long black drape jackets. However, by the time I'd reached the stage where I was hanging around there, ten years later, the favourite spot had moved to the benches at the other side of the town hall and, of course, the fashions had changed too.
Old 28-08-2004, 06:39   #13

Pity there was no teds in the picture they would have been around at that time, I would have been 9 yrs. Am I right, Joe Morts was the dance hall they all went to. I used to hang around the bus station end of the deck, near the Blackburn bus stop and hagle where we were going to go that night, stay in town or hop on a bus to Blackburn to go to the Mecca, or go round to Melbourne St and catch a bus to Manchester. They opened a cafe accross from the town hall in the late 60s cant remember what it was called. The Dahlia was an institustion, Friday nights we Would'nt go out till Ready Steady Go, had finished.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 16:59   #14
Resting In Peace

Darby - You mentioned Ollie and that he was 3 bricks short of a building. Ollie is very intelligent, I see him regularly. He owns an appartment in Spain and lived there for a few years. I think he is worth a bob or two, so don't feel sorry for him.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 05:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF
Darby - You mentioned Ollie and that he was 3 bricks short of a building. Ollie is very intelligent, I see him regularly. He owns an appartment in Spain and lived there for a few years. I think he is worth a bob or two, so don't feel sorry for him.
I think we got our Ollies mixed up. I meant Ollie Rowley!! Did you mean Walter Ollet??
Or somebody else??

I didn't mean to be nasty or anything, Ollie (Rowley) was OK for a bit of crack (fun), and I use to spend ages talking to him (well listening actually), he wasn't a bad lad or anything like that, quite harmless actually. Though I've heard he turned a little wierd after he got beat up by some yobs a few years ago!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..