Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2009, 11:20   #1
Resting in Peace

The Games we played

At the moment every time the ads are on TV its Game Boy, X Box, Wii Nintendo yet there was nothing like this when my age group were young, we had to make our own entertainment 52 weeks a year, along with the usual Cricket and Football, there all types of games we dreamt up, anyone remember playing Tinny, anyway what games did you lot play all those years ago
Old 14-12-2009, 15:43   #2
Senior Member+

Re: The Games we played

think we all played.... nick nack, hopscotch,
some had a top and whip, we played french cricket
you stood still with a stick in your hand and another player had to try and hit your legs with a ball.. of course you had to stop them,
and if you was lucky you had a transistor radio,and listened to music
out doors

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 09:05   #3

My brother Mick organised a Subbuteo (can't remember spelling!) league. All boys except me. There were matches every week wherever a house was available. (I can remember playing in Johnny Omerod's house up New Lane). Every one represented a famous team (I was Bilbao). My brother was easily corrupted and if any of the boys complained about losing he would arrange a match against me! Obviously I always lost. Still these are happy memories.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 09:49   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
My brother Mick organised a Subbuteo (can't remember spelling!) league. All boys except me. There were matches every week wherever a house was available. (I can remember playing in Johnny Omerod's house up New Lane). Every one represented a famous team (I was Bilbao). My brother was easily corrupted and if any of the boys complained about losing he would arrange a match against me! Obviously I always lost. Still these are happy memories.
Ain't heard of JAMO for a long time, used to work in the same office as John at Franklands in the early 70s, and played Cricket with him for Ossy Immanuel. In fact the last time I saw him was around 2002 when I was in the next bed to his dad in Queens Park, his dad had a pen opposite my house when I lived on Eagle Street, of New Lane many moons ago
Old 15-12-2009, 18:15   #5
God Member

I think I remember Tinny ... did it have something to do with an empty tin in a circle drawn in the dirt I've killed off a lot of brain cells in my life, but somewhere in my dusty memory I recall "tinny tin tin".

I used to love "Owzat" ... played with hexagonal (octagonal?) dies.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 18:31   #6
God Member

Cats Cradle - amusement for hours with just a piece of string

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 09:33   #7
God Member

kiss chase - now banned as some idiot somewhere will have declared it to be sexual assault

off ground tig - now banned because it encourages children to climb without aid of a safety net or helmet

hide and seek - now obsolete because it isnt fair on teh fat kid that tries hiding behind a lamp post

postmans knock - now banned because royal mail employees see it as their job and strike if kids are found to be doing it for free

kerby - now banned because the council see it as gross miss use of a kerb

knifey - now obsolete because apparently trees have feelings

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 10:48   #8
white rabbits

paper chase....now it would litter louting,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 16-12-2009, 19:12   #9
God Member

making lanterns by putting candles in jam jars .... fire hazard.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 22:35   #10
God Member

We made swings on old style lampposts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00441642.jpg (3.5 KB, 14 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 10:00   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
We made swings on old style lampposts
Can still hear my mother shouting "will you get down of that lamp post you'll hurt yourself"
Old 17-12-2009, 19:47   #12
Resting in Peace

Used to love playing with two balls (Neil/Accyman .. bite your tongue !). Juggling them up against a wall. The task got harder as you had to do one overarm, then one under your legs, then drop one, turn around etc.

Sure it was done to a song .. 1,2,3 Alarah (no idea how to spell this), de, de, my sister Sarah ????? Or was this another game ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 19:51   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Used to love playing with two balls (Neil/Accyman .. bite your tongue !). Juggling them up against a wall.
As if I would say anything

Will you be juggling them while doing the thing I am buying you the Bacardi and coke, ice no lemon for on Saturday?
Old 17-12-2009, 19:55   #14

Marbles....Whalley??
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 20:09   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
As if I would say anything

You just have ..

Will you be juggling them while doing the thing I am buying you the Bacardi and coke, ice no lemon for on Saturday?
Only for a double ... Mmmm better get practising.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..