Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 19:13   #1

Smile the good old days THE BLOCKADE

Saw the post on pubs last night and remember this one the blockade .
Joyce was the landady,Eddie and john her son .
any one else got a few tales , I have but will add them as the thread grows.
johnenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2010, 19:39   #2
Super Moderator

Re: the good old days THE BLOCKADE

The Blockade...a pub amongst pubs! You could actually "alter your consciousness" just by breathing the air in the backroom. Remember one night, a young lady who had been...err...taking some "medication", removing all her clothes and dancing on the pool table. This being, the Block, nobody bothered much.
Old 09-01-2010, 19:53   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was having a pint at corner of bar one night, was a guy i knew sat on a high stool round barfront, i decided to go fer a pee, on way through was a guy on telephone- saying hes sat at the bar now, thought nowt of it, approx 5/6 mins later back supping me pint n another guy i know runs in pub, grabs guy on stool, nuts him etc etc, stood tall n says= Am i still barred Eddie? Class pure Class.
Old 09-01-2010, 20:14   #4

ROFTFL
Just wondering anyone had the pleasure of watching spoof played at the bar on Fri,sun night.
see you later
johnenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 20:30   #5
Junior Member+

A sign behind the bar might be help
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7293056_s.jpg

Last edited by Mick; 10-01-2010 at 11:12.
expatcheshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 22:39   #6
God Member

"hells kitchen"...was one of the back rooms and thinking about it now it was small..apart from the usuall stuff it was the first time I heard of Tequila slamming..whatching bods faces cringe up after salt n lemon was funny..and you could smoke in them days.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 22:43   #7
God Member

The Blockade had one of the best juke boxes in Accy.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 22:44   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
"hells kitchen"...was one of the back rooms and thinking about it now it was small..apart from the usuall stuff it was the first time I heard of Tequila slamming..whatching bods faces cringe up after salt n lemon was funny..and you could smoke in them days.
was introduced to Southern Comfort wi Canada Dry in that room. already smoked.
Old 09-01-2010, 22:56   #9
God Member

I know old codgers go on about the good old days ..but the Block was a pub you could rely on to sort out a dull night.. I don't know how they got away with it..bleedin long haired hippies!
Old 09-01-2010, 23:00   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I know old codgers go on about the good old days ..but the Block was a pub you could rely on to sort out a dull night.. I don't know how they got away with it..bleedin long haired hippies!
Always had a theory about that, cos know fer a fact the "Drug Squad" were well aware.
Old 09-01-2010, 23:03   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was introduced to Southern Comfort wi Canada Dry in that room. already smoked.
Just reminded me Cashy.. once came across a bloke called "Bonzo" introduced me to a drink he called a "mind blower".. creme de menth plus double perno.. and it is a mind blower!
Old 09-01-2010, 23:06   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Some of the tales John not a good idea to tell em on here,i think.
Old 09-01-2010, 23:22   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
and you could smoke in them days.
...oh yes, you could smoke...I smoked loads of stuff in there...I even smoked ordinary fags sometimes.
Old 09-01-2010, 23:34   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...oh yes, you could smoke...I smoked loads of stuff in there...I even smoked ordinary fags sometimes.
they were ordinary fags in those days.
Old 09-01-2010, 23:45   #15
God Member

Hey it don't matter much now.. lets be honest the Block was the place to go if you wanted to partake in the old "have a smoke and get loadsa curry and chappattis"...or for the less well cultered Grammer school boys the "lets go home and play Ludo with my parents"

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..