Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2010, 13:58   #1
Senior Member+

The 'knocker-upper' and lamplighter

I can't believe how times have changed-I saw a picture posted by staggeringman of a lamplighter and suddenly realized I actually REMEMBER seeing one lighting the gas lamps in our street in the early 1940's! Then seeing his long stick made me remember the 'knocker-upper' coming round in the early mornings-he had a similar long pole to knock on the bedroom windows of the mill workers(couldn't afford an alarm clock?). They paid him a little a week, I assume HE was always early clocking on!
Anybody younger than 50 must find it hard to believe how enormously things progressed by the end of the 50's, early 60's.Even in the 50's some people still had 'tipplers' at the bottom of the garden!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2010, 14:08   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The 'knocker-upper' and lamplighter

By tipplers gordon, i assume ya mean the "Long Drop Bogs"? me nan had one still when she died early 60s.
Old 25-11-2010, 14:21   #3
Senior Member+

Yes, cashman. An outside loo, flat board to sit on,4 to 6 ft drop to a counterbalanced bucket above the sewer. When full its weight made it 'tipple' into the sewer with a big 'WHOOSH'.No water seal so they smelled.
We once heard a 'meiowing' down my grandfathers. We lowered a long brush and a big ginger tom climbed on-he was lucky his weight hadn't made it 'tipple'! He took some washing as I remember. Don't know why we washed it, it wasn't even Grandads cat!
Old 25-11-2010, 14:24   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Yes, cashman. An outside loo, flat board to sit on,4 to 6 ft drop to a counterbalanced bucket above the sewer. When full its weight made it 'tipple' into the sewer with a big 'WHOOSH'.No water seal so they smelled.
We once heard a 'meiowing' down my grandfathers. We lowered a long brush and a big ginger tom climbed on-he was lucky his weight hadn't made it 'tipple'! He took some washing as I remember. Don't know why we washed it, it wasn't even Grandads cat!
same thing happened to me, came home from school one day n me nan had clothes prop down n next doors cat climbed out, i posted about that a good while ago, cant remember which thread.
Old 25-11-2010, 14:52   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
'twas the waste water from the kitchen sink that activated the tippler mechanism. How things have changed.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 17:57   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
'twas the waste water from the kitchen sink that activated the tippler mechanism. How things have changed.
Hey I don't know Beni I still have newspaper cut into six inch squares and stuck on a nail in the loo
Old 25-11-2010, 17:59   #7
Resting in Peace

I can just about remember the lamp lighter, he kept his pole in the council yard behind our gaff in Monarch St
Old 25-11-2010, 18:12   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Hey I don't know Beni I still have newspaper cut into six inch squares and stuck on a nail in the loo
The Observer used to have a lovely texture! What's it like now?
Old 25-11-2010, 18:15   #9
Senior Member+

Lonsdale St in mid '50s and Maden St after that - but we did have proper toilet paper.
Old 25-11-2010, 18:15   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The Observer used to have a lovely texture! What's it like now?
Don't know Gordon wouldn't wipe my backside with it these days
Old 25-11-2010, 18:21   #11
Senior Member+

Even in the 50s my grandparents, although they obviously had electric lighting, still had the 'fantail' gas lights in some rooms. They hardly ever used them but when lit they burned white and gave the rooms a lovely soft light like candlelight.
Old 25-11-2010, 18:36   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Even in the 50s my grandparents, although they obviously had electric lighting, still had the 'fantail' gas lights in some rooms. They hardly ever used them but when lit they burned white and gave the rooms a lovely soft light like candlelight.
Can't remember having them at home but my Grandmas Sister who live round the corner had them and can remember watching her light them with a taper
Old 25-11-2010, 22:40   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Finally found a good use for the "Mail" have we? Hopefully, the coalition government will be issuing a few white papers for back up
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 22:47   #14
God Member

Quote:
My gran had them upstairs in her house on Victoria St. up until the mid-fifties ...

And I remember those wonderful cast iron fireplaces, with the warming ovens, and the thingimajig that you put the kettle on .... I think that the world as we knew it really started to head down the tubes when folks tore those wonderful things out and put the dinky little tiled monstrosities in ... or maybe the beginning of the end was the dumping of toasting forks in favour of electric toasters
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 00:30   #15
Senior Member+

We bought an old cottage on White Ash Lane in the late 60s and the only loo was a tippler down the yard. Wish I had taken it out in one piece it would have been quite a conversation piece.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..