Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 20:22   #1
Super Moderator

The Return of the Accy Bus

Whilst on my pre-match walkabout today, I turned the corner into Bridge Street and literally stopped dead in my tracks as if I'd seen a ghost...and I suppose in some ways I had.

Because right there in front of me was a double decker bus in the classic ACT blue and red livery with the old coat-of-arms and ACCRINGTON in gold lettering on the sides just like it used to be. I stood there stunned for a couple of minutes...had I stepped into a timewarp?...were years of alcoholic excess finally taking their toll?...but, no, looking at the advertising on the side I realised that it was a Northern Blue bus which had been specially liveried up to celebrate 100 years of buses in Accrington.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me, so could some kind person take a shot of it and post it on here, if they happen to come across it?
Old 04-08-2007, 20:38   #2
God Member

Re: The Return of the Accy Bus

soon most the buses in accrington will be owned by transdev wynonie
Old 04-08-2007, 21:51   #3
Super Moderator

Buses in Accy have never been the same since they sold off the town fleet and the Ellison Street garage. But it was nice to see a restored corporation bus as a reminder of the way things used to be.
Old 04-08-2007, 21:52   #4
God Member

memories ay
Old 05-08-2007, 08:39   #5
mez
God Member

thats true wynonie they don't seem as clean either.
Old 05-08-2007, 21:21   #6
Super Moderator

You're right, Mez, they don't. But when the bus fleet belonged to the town, there was naturally more pride in it. Nowadays buses are just another commercial operation and the results are there for all to see.
Old 27-10-2011, 22:00   #7

I thought yon avatar was a modern picture but even the 'new' buses are old now.
Snarling Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 07:49   #8
I am Banned

Groove thinks its better now we have a multitude of buses to choose from instead of the boring blue n red things all the time.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 09:14   #9
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Whilst on my pre-match walkabout today, I turned the corner into Bridge Street and literally stopped dead in my tracks as if I'd seen a ghost...and I suppose in some ways I had.

Because right there in front of me was a double decker bus in the classic ACT blue and red livery with the old coat-of-arms and ACCRINGTON in gold lettering on the sides just like it used to be. I stood there stunned for a couple of minutes...had I stepped into a timewarp?...were years of alcoholic excess finally taking their toll?...but, no, looking at the advertising on the side I realised that it was a Northern Blue bus which had been specially liveried up to celebrate 100 years of buses in Accrington.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me, so could some kind person take a shot of it and post it on here, if they happen to come across it?
I think it's the same bus , Wyn , that I've seen several times parked outside St Christopher's school in the afternoon to take the kids home .

Like you I was gobsmacked when I saw it for the first time .

Their livery was second to none .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 09:42   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I think it's the same bus , Wyn , that I've seen several times parked outside St Christopher's school in the afternoon to take the kids home .

Like you I was gobsmacked when I saw it for the first time .

Their livery was second to none .
Didn't realise it was still around, JCB, as I haven't seen it in town for a few years.

The Accrington livery was considered one of the smartest and most distinguished around back in the day. I've been told that it was based on the colours of the East Lancashire regiment, as a mark of a respect to the Accrington Pals.
Old 28-10-2011, 09:57   #11
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Didn't realise it was still around, JCB, as I haven't seen it in town for a few years.
Stupid me didn't look at the date of your post .

Yes , It's still around . Over the last year I have seen it in on the school run from Queens Road West .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 15:30   #12
Resting In Peace

I lived in Salisbury in the 1990s and every Saturday there used to be a single decker bus in ACT colours parked in town. I've no idea where it came from, probably one of the surrounding villages, but it was a shock at first to see it so far from home.

My uncle Arthur (not a real uncle) was a corporation bus driver in the fifties and I remember he had the number 1 on the shoulder epaulette of his uniform.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 16:50   #13
Senior Member+

it's actually owned by transdev as is the other wreck they inherited from northern blue - (in the same livery without the lettering) they are mainly used for schools although regularly on our local bus route in burnley they are a pair of wrecks and should be decomissioned!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 17:07   #14
Senior Member+

My auntie Doreen (willan ) was a conductor ont accy buses for a good while.
Old 28-10-2011, 19:13   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I lived in Salisbury in the 1990s and every Saturday there used to be a single decker bus in ACT colours parked in town. I've no idea where it came from, probably one of the surrounding villages, but it was a shock at first to see it so far from home.

My uncle Arthur (not a real uncle) was a corporation bus driver in the fifties and I remember he had the number 1 on the shoulder epaulette of his uniform.
Perhaps this is the one?

80-year-old Accrington Pals bus restored to former glory (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..