Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 20:51   #31
Senior Member+

Re: The River Stink!

couple of pics

Think I told this story before.

The tunnel that goes under the asda. As a kid; my sisters and my friends stuck wellies on and went walking through those tunnels - Scared of being told off by my parents; I ran across the car park and waited for them on the other side

looking down at picture #2 is where they would appear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0035 (Medium).jpg (297.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0036 (Medium).jpg (276.4 KB, 26 views)
Judith Addison likes this.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:47   #32
Rest in Peace

I know that the river goes underground in Hyndburn Road and in the 50s it used to surface where the sports centre is now then the next sighting I think was in a field passed the canal at the bottom of a large wall, then make its way to Rishton. Anyone know if it still surfaces near the sports centre.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:00   #33
Senior Member+

This is where it emerges after going under the canal, Dunkenhalgh Way is off to the left a few hundred yards. There is a short stretch on the surface close to the sports centre, but access is difficult.
The second picture is where it goes under the main road at the "Rishton dip"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2249 (2).JPG (434.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0144.JPG (414.8 KB, 24 views)
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:57   #34
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
This is where it emerges after going under the canal, Dunkenhalgh Way is off to the left a few hundred yards. There is a short stretch on the surface close to the sports centre, but access is difficult.
The second picture is where it goes under the main road at the "Rishton dip"
Where the river comes out must have been altered over the years, as I remember there being a very large stone built wall I would estimate 30ft high with the river looking small coming out at the bottom in a small ravine and then flowing down. Very dangerous. But us kids loved it.
Old 02-04-2013, 19:06   #35
I am Banned

Not too picturesque where it emerges in Grange Lane. Taken earlier today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4274.JPG (183.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4273.JPG (148.8 KB, 29 views)
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:35   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Where the river comes out must have been altered over the years, as I remember there being a very large stone built wall I would estimate 30ft high with the river looking small coming out at the bottom in a small ravine and then flowing down. Very dangerous. But us kids loved it.
Further up just as it comes out from under the canal there is a metal fence around a section, in this enclosure there is a about a 20 foot drop in the water, it then enters the brick tunnel. Perhaps this is the area you remember before the metal fence boxed it off.
Old 02-04-2013, 20:37   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
In the summer when the grass is cut and the sun is shining this area is popular with office workers
Old 02-04-2013, 22:58   #38

Quote:
In the summer when the grass is cut and the sun is shining this area is popular with office workers
And still no stink, fantastic!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:03   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
In medieval times, monks would have fished for food at this spot. I cannot walk past here without thinking about my grandma, as I remember walking here with her a mere 65yrs ago.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:21   #40
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
In medieval times, monks would have fished for food at this spot. I cannot walk past here without thinking about my grandma, as I remember walking here with her a mere 65yrs ago.
No laughing here My first fishing expedition complete with bent safety pin on a string and cane was at that very spot 1953 or 4 I reckon. Caught not a sausage or a fish !
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28   #41
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
And still no stink, fantastic!!
Not sure about that gdm, there were a couple of dog walkers skulking about leaving their malodorous "presents"

Don't get me started on 4 legged spit (sic) machines
Old 03-04-2013, 08:38   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Not sure about that gdm, there were a couple of dog walkers skulking about leaving their malodorous "presents"

Don't get me started on 4 legged spit (sic) machines
Take it your not a dog lover Mr. D.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:13   #43
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Take it your not a dog lover Mr. D.
I have mellowed over the years J...on a good day I'll accept it's only the owners that need castrating.

Picked one of those Sky Mall mags up on my last flight back in from the states. Someone has invented an adaptor for a bog seat for cats. Now why can't we have that for dogs? I know they have to crap, we all do but let em crap on their owners toilet not on my street corner.
Dragons Den here I go

Last edited by DtheP47; 03-04-2013 at 09:17.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:03   #44
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Further up just as it comes out from under the canal there is a metal fence around a section, in this enclosure there is a about a 20 foot drop in the water, it then enters the brick tunnel. Perhaps this is the area you remember before the metal fence boxed it off.
Possibly so.
Old 03-04-2013, 15:42   #45

Accrington culvertry

Accrington, the new king of culvertry!

Warmden Grotto

The Cavern, Combined Sewer Overflow, Accrington

Superlative Nomenclature, Drain, Accrington

Found these old links in my bookmarks, I don't know if they are of any use now, but some good pictures non the less.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..