Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 16:51   #46
Senior Member+

Re: The River Stink!

In the earliest editions of the Accrington Observer, and indeed many other papers, the main topic of Letters to the Editor was dog sh.. in the streets.
Going back to the Stink- there was a sewage pipe which opened into the river on Nelson Square just before Henry St. It 'opened' at fixed time. I leave it to your imagination as to what could be seen entering the river.
Alan & Les Bond wrote a poem about the river in the early 80s, but timed it as the river of their youth in the 50s, telling of the smell, the colour and the floating objects seen
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-04-2013, 17:19   #47
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
In medieval times, monks would have fished for food at this spot. I cannot walk past here without thinking about my grandma, as I remember walking here with her a mere 65yrs ago.
What dates do you ascribe as Medieval times, history defines it as a period long before the Monks arrived in Acc, or even in Lsncashire.

The only fishing area I can find in Acc during the Saxon Period, was on the Hyndburn river near where Asda is.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 17:30   #48
Senior Member+

Retlaw, the Medieval Period is accepted as starting in the 5th century or before and ending in the mid 1400's. I'm sure you said the monks were around Accrington long before 1450.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 18:28   #49
Senior Member+

Todays Stinky Photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0702 (Medium).JPG (420.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0705 (Medium).JPG (332.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0708 (Medium).JPG (367.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0709 (Medium).JPG (421.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0711 (Medium).JPG (374.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0703.jpg (566.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0704.JPG (435.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0710.jpg (552.3 KB, 51 views)
wadey likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 18:31   #50
I am Banned

Quote:
In the earliest editions of the Accrington Observer, and indeed many other papers, the main topic of Letters to the Editor was dog sh.. in the streets.
Reckon it must have been me in a previous life and if not, one of my forebears
Mind you visit Liege in Belgium, it truly is the dog spit capital of Europe.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 18:53   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Todays Stinky Photos
Restless, there must be something wrong with your camera.
It's picking up the green grass but the river isn't pink or blue- there's no colour,you can see through it! Have you a polarised lens or something?

Almost worth coming back to walk along the banks again.
Restless likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 22:15   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Restless, there must be something wrong with your camera.
It's picking up the green grass but the river isn't pink or blue- there's no colour,you can see through it! Have you a polarised lens or something?

Almost worth coming back to walk along the banks again.
Smell-proof lens
Old 04-04-2013, 08:54   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Going back to the Stink- there was a sewage pipe which opened into the river on Nelson Square just before Henry St. It 'opened' at fixed time. I leave it to your imagination as to what could be seen entering the river.
Alan & Les Bond wrote a poem about the river in the early 80s, but timed it as the river of their youth in the 50s, telling of the smell, the colour and the floating objects seen
I used to play on Nelson Square when I was a lad Bob, wondered what that smell was
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 13:26   #54
Senior Member+

Maybe I should have said, so as to clarify Retlaw's point, is that it was LIKELY that Cistercian monks and their lay-brothers fished there in the years when a monastic grange was situated on/near Grange Lane. This was in the 13th century as it existed in Kirkstall Abbey's hands for les than a hundred years.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 23:02   #55
Junior Member+

In the 50's we entered the tunnel wearing wellies, and all carrying torches. Heading under the (then carpark, now Arndale) I can't recall if there was a branch of tunnels, but I'm sure I recall emerging into daylight, perhaps behind the Bridge pub? I also remember the culvert between Catlows fruit and veggie shop and the old market hall. Not sure where this led to, as an outlet behind the Bridge would mean a major turn and tunnelling under Church Street. Any thoughts?
les stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:46   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Can recall going up that tunnel, Never went as far as you Les, had no torches. Also was a small round concrete tunnel, just before yeh entered the river tunnel,left hand side as yeh faced in,went up that n came to a shaft seemed very deep, so went up it via the metal grips, came out of a "Grate" half way up Castle St.
Old 20-08-2013, 09:52   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by les stewart View Post
In the 50's we entered the tunnel wearing wellies, and all carrying torches. Heading under the (then carpark, now Arndale) I can't recall if there was a branch of tunnels, but I'm sure I recall emerging into daylight, perhaps behind the Bridge pub? I also remember the culvert between Catlows fruit and veggie shop and the old market hall. Not sure where this led to, as an outlet behind the Bridge would mean a major turn and tunnelling under Church Street. Any thoughts?
Tunnel under Church st then sharp left near the Ritz up past Police Station, Under Manchester Rd then past Broad Oak printworks (CPA) and source of colours and foul smells, then off up the hillside.
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 11:19   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Todays Stinky Photos
I cannot remember the stink ever looking like picture no3 Restless. Where did you take that picture?. We left Accy nearly 40years ago. Then it was a mess. It seems to have had a clean up since then.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 11:49   #59
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire View Post
Tunnel under Church st then sharp left near the Ritz up past Police Station, Under Manchester Rd then past Broad Oak printworks (CPA) and source of colours and foul smells, then off up the hillside.
The river stink as you call it came from the Broad Oak Print Works, the river can still bee seen down Bell Shop Lane, off Manchester Rd. From there it went into a small lodge (the Ambulance Station is built on that site) then it was used by the Madder works, (next to where the Ambulance Stn is) then it turned left crossed Manchester Rd & under Culvert St, next it turned right down Grange Lane, The Fire Stn yard walls & part of the Police Station are built on it, it then appears for a short distance in Grange Lane, & under Cross St, where it joins Woodnook Water & becomes the Hyndburn. It now travels under ground down what is Duke St Back, crosses Little Blackburn Rd under the Pavement, along Peel St, near Infant St it turns left and goes under what used to be the out door market, there was a manhole cover in the middle of one of the ailse, (which I went down many times whilst with the Fire Brigade), that has now disappeared under Wilkis, from there it now travels towards Church, on its way out of Accrington.
All that water has been clean since Broad Oak Print Works Closed down.
Judith Addison likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 11:53   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
I cannot remember the stink ever looking like picture no3 Restless. Where did you take that picture?. We left Accy nearly 40years ago. Then it was a mess. It seems to have had a clean up since then.
It`s by hyndburn road, you can see Asda at the left of the pic.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..