Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2013, 15:00   #1

The River Stink!

Where did it come from and where did it go? Did it have a name? I remember when I was a kid back in the 50's when it flowed under the road where the Arndale Centre is now. It did stink and it had a strange colour to it all the time!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-03-2013, 15:02   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The River Stink!

River Hyndburn twas its name.
Old 31-03-2013, 15:08   #3
Senior Member+

Broad Oak print works used to dump their waste dye overflows into it so sometimes it was a pretty pink, red, green.
Most of the time it was just a foul colour with a foul smell.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 15:19   #4
Senior Member+

I think it begins near the Bridge pub, where Warmden Water and Woodnook water meet. It passes through Rishton and joins the Calder near Whalley, which joins the Hodder, which joins the Ribble
wadey and Judith Addison like this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 17:56   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Broad Oak print works used to dump their waste dye overflows into it so sometimes it was a pretty pink, red, green.
Most of the time it was just a foul colour with a foul smell.
Exactly the same thing with the Swanee in Ossy, Cocker Chemicals used to dump all their waste in there too Gordon and that did stink of TCP. for years after they were stopped. It was the cleanest brook in the country all the pebbles were white and no vegetation what so ever, needless to say no fish either
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 19:04   #6

Do we know if it still runs?
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 19:09   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
We already have threads on this river, its sources & courses over the years.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 19:21   #8
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Why shouldn't it? You can see it at several places along Hyndburn Road, such as the bridge on Electricity Street just before you get to Screwfix, at the side of Asda car park. Next time you come to Accy, go and have a look.
Old 31-03-2013, 19:27   #9
Senior Member+

The river is now a lot cleaner than it has been for years, last summer I watched a fisherman catch a trout, and I watched them swim around where the river is underground in a brick tunnel on Dunkenhalgh land.

ps. I have posted many a photo in the "today" thread, where it runs under the motorway bridge and down to the dip at Rishton.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 19:28   #10
Senior Member+

I seem to remember something about it being so clean now there were fish in it. Is that true, if so is that in Accrington or more in the country, near the Calder?
I know there were fish back in the Calder/Hodder some years ago.

That's good,davemac, you answered my question before I asked it!

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 31-03-2013 at 19:34.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 23:25   #11

My Dad was born in 1913 at 8 Mill Street, Church, just by Express Gifts, opposite the Sports Centre. He said that Church was known in those days as the "City of the Seven Stinks"! I think that Steiner's chemical works and others discharged all their waste into the river. I seem to remember that when Hyndburn was chosen for the name of the Borough on 1st April 1974 it was rather amusing because the river was still known as the "River Stink" in those days!
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:21   #12
Senior Member+

I remember the rubber duck races they used to have near the asda
Stevie R likes this.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
My Dad was born in 1913 at 8 Mill Street, Church, just by Express Gifts, opposite the Sports Centre. He said that Church was known in those days as the "City of the Seven Stinks"! I think that Steiner's chemical works and others discharged all their waste into the river. I seem to remember that when Hyndburn was chosen for the name of the Borough on 1st April 1974 it was rather amusing because the river was still known as the "River Stink" in those days!
Think the worst stink in Church was the Tripe curing place, when they were boiling the tripe it stunk to high heaven, you could smell it for miles
Old 01-04-2013, 10:10   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think the worst stink in Church was the Tripe curing place, when they were boiling the tripe it stunk to high heaven, you could smell it for miles
Yeh never lived in Church, Ashworths "Bone Yard" was far worse, in summer yeh couldn't even leave yer Door or Windows open twas that bad.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:01   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh never lived in Church, Ashworths "Bone Yard" was far worse, in summer yeh couldn't even leave yer Door or Windows open twas that bad.
Sorry cashy that's what I meant not Tripe Shop, I was once working on a house near Ashworths and I just went back to the workshop, couldn't stand the stink

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..