Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2008, 21:55   #31
God Member

Re: The Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Used to go in at lunch time when I was at Tech, as I remember twas a very good Juke Box
Yep jogged my memory ... was right across from the Tech, never classed it as on the Barbary Coast..not as close as the Sun, Dun Horse etc.
It was known as a pub were they might turn a blind eye to abit of wacky backy.. same as the Albion in Clayton and Blockade in Accy.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2008, 22:33   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Walt is still with us, saw him and his missus in Accy last week.
Glad to hear that.I worked for him in The Tavern Ossy
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 22:41   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Yep jogged my memory ... was right across from the Tech, never classed it as on the Barbary Coast..not as close as the Sun, Dun Horse etc.
now ya mention it,we never did,thought vulcan n jubilee were just off the "Coast" we regarded the Ribblesdale n George @Dragon as the edge of coast. we were from accy though so will bow to the knowledge of any owd Blackburner. any takers?
Old 18-06-2008, 00:09   #34

Was there a Wheatsheaf, on the B coast ajacent to the Mecca.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 00:18   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
now ya mention it,we never did,thought vulcan n jubilee were just off the "Coast" we regarded the Ribblesdale n George @Dragon as the edge of coast. we were from accy though so will bow to the knowledge of any owd Blackburner. any takers?
I'm trying to remember , I'm thinking you had to walk past the Ribblesdale to get to the Dun Horse (opposite Police Station , near to the Blackburn Times office ) both in spitting distance of Yates wine lodge
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 00:27   #36

Good to hear from you Steely. What was the name of the pub down that street where the Library is. There used to be a Co-oP Emporium there I think. accross from Tony's Ballroom, Am I making sence.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 00:31   #37
God Member

I'm thinking, Little Bull, Big Bull, Yates, Sun, Swan, Dun Horse,.. and one over from Dun horse?.... then some proper dive night club..ah yes Tophat!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 00:32   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Good to hear from you Steely. What was the name of the pub down that street where the Library is. There used to be a Co-oP Emporium there I think. accross from Tony's Ballroom, Am I making sence.
yep , knew the place well , I asked the same question a few threads back , and never got an answer , a big one room place , I think a Lion pub , remember telling my parents about a new "hot" pub in Blackburn and they fell about laughing they had used it 20 years earlier
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 11:31   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
FLAMES....now that WAS what you call a nightclub.....bit of a boogie to Black Betty and all that.................Good times.......

i once fell drunk into a bike outside there and it fell over taking 2 other bikes with it lol

a bit of quick thinking saved my life because when the owners came out to see what had happened i pointed down the street andd said some lads just kicked them over and ran off in that direction pointing down the street lol

the bike owners got some exercise and i got to carry on getting more drunk

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 16:16   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
flames was that near the fire station. no pun intended honest

Errr i think that is where it got its name from..........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 18:36   #41
God Member

just been talking to my mate Kev about this thread, he said he used to go in the Vulcan nearly everyday in the 80s
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:13   #42

Jesus yeh i remember the Vulcan, i moved from the south west to Blackburn and that was the first pub i really went to, new years eve 88 to be precise. It was bloody great,good music and beer!!!!!
lars71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:04   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars71 View Post
Jesus yeh i remember the Vulcan, i moved from the south west to Blackburn and that was the first pub i really went to, new years eve 88 to be precise. It was bloody great,good music and beer!!!!!
Moving from the south west the beer would be good
Old 10-01-2009, 11:30   #44
Senior Member+

Used to serve a really good pint in the Vulcan. Used it when it went to the Tech in the mid 70's. Also the Jubilee and The Court pub to, which was round the back of the Tech. I used to work at a Printers on St Peters Street, so remember using both the Wheatsheaf and Dun Horse too....and not forgetting the legendary Dirty Duck!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:48   #45

Used to go in the Vulcan in the late 60's, lots of glasses flying. I also went to another pub at the bottom of New Park St, but don't remember its name. I think it was near the Baths.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..