Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 07:23   #46

Re: The Vulcan

Were you going to the Tech at the time. Joaner.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-01-2009, 17:01   #47

No Alan, used to do the 'rounds' on a Friday night. Ya know, Little Bull, Big Bull, Adelphi, Clarence, Wine Lodge, Vulcan and sometimes the Sun. Had plenty of laughs, there used to be about 20 of us meet up at the Little Bull. Then on to the Cavendish Club.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 19:26   #48
God Member

The local gendarmes used to have a tactic where they sent one copper into The Vulcan and left two outside the door. When the copper appeared inside several people (whether under age or indulging in the occasional herbal cigarette) waited for him to turn his back and beat a hasty retreat to the door, only to have their collars felt by the two sentries. If you stayed put, inside, you were invariably safe.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 19:32   #49

oh what a fab pub. I was at the Tech from 76-78 and we used to go in there for pie n peas and a pint at lunchtimes. It was full of hippies and great juke box. best time we ever had in there was last day of tech at Xmas - place was rockin!!!

When they came to pull it down, a mate of mine went there and managed to acquire some corner stones from the entrance door....worth a lot to him for "memorabilia" sakes!!

Anyone ever know what happened to Simon Rawcliffe - he used to live on Manchester Road and was in my English group. He was really clued up on heavy metal music at the time....nice guy.
red rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:56   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rose View Post
oh what a fab pub. I was at the Tech from 76-78 and we used to go in there for pie n peas and a pint at lunchtimes. It was full of hippies and great juke box. best time we ever had in there was last day of tech at Xmas - place was rockin!!!

When they came to pull it down, a mate of mine went there and managed to acquire some corner stones from the entrance door....worth a lot to him for "memorabilia" sakes!!

Anyone ever know what happened to Simon Rawcliffe - he used to live on Manchester Road and was in my English group. He was really clued up on heavy metal music at the time....nice guy.
Thats not the chap that won Ģ125,000 on "Millionaire" is it, but uses the name Syd now???

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 18:08   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Thats not the chap that won Ģ125,000 on "Millionaire" is it, but uses the name Syd now???

Best Regards - Taggy

Hi TAggy,

Yeah I bet thatīs him.....he used to call himself Sid back then too. Small world!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 18:22   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
Hi TAggy,

Yeah I bet thatīs him.....he used to call himself Sid back then too. Small world!!!
Ive not seen him for a bit now, but he's a keen "Quizzer" and think he used to take part in Quiz leagues at the Sydney St WMC and The Crown! Probably a few other places too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 13-01-2009, 11:03   #53

Quote:
Ive not seen him for a bit now, but he's a keen "Quizzer" and think he used to take part in Quiz leagues at the Sydney St WMC and The Crown! Probably a few other places too!

Best Regards - Taggy

He was a pretty smart dude.....very good at English lit and music...so I could imagine him being a good one to have on your team in a quiz! I always imagined he would go on to become a famous author!

the crown (and the Greyhound) used to be my locals - as I lived on Cranbourne drive.....two good pubs back in the late 70īs.

Have a good day. Throwing it down here in not-so-sunny Algarve today!!
Old 13-01-2009, 13:47   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
He was a pretty smart dude.....very good at English lit and music...so I could imagine him being a good one to have on your team in a quiz! I always imagined he would go on to become a famous author!

the crown (and the Greyhound) used to be my locals - as I lived on Cranbourne drive.....two good pubs back in the late 70īs.

Have a good day. Throwing it down here in not-so-sunny Algarve today!!
....Talk about coincidence, i saw Syd walk past WH Smith in Blackburn this morning, but i was in the queue paying, and he was gone when i got out!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 13-01-2009, 18:13   #55

Quote:
....Talk about coincidence, i saw Syd walk past WH Smith in Blackburn this morning, but i was in the queue paying, and he was gone when i got out!!

Best Regards - Taggy
what an amazing coincidence.! Funny you mentioned him in quizes at Stanley St WMC - that is where I used to go with him on a Sunday night - upstairs they used to have live (pretty heavy metal) bands playing. Discovered two really fab bands there - one called Strife and the other called Arbre - later group were Jordies. Real rocked.......
Old 28-01-2009, 15:34   #56

Hello to all.

Wow this thread really brings back memories.

I spent a lot of time in The Vulcan especially 81 to 84 when I was studying at Blackburn Tech.

Several things stick in my mind about The Vulcan.

Fantastic Juke Box

George and Anne.

The Mod Room

Being there when the news broke that Sid Vicious and Nancy Spongen had died,

Derek - A complete lush, Who always dressed in a suit, tie, and a light blue anorak, He could be found in there most afternoons playing pool.

Upstairs on a Friday and Saturday night

One of the denim clad long haired regulars (Billy?) winning a lot of money, possibly on spot the ball or the like,

6% Holsten Pils - Usually two bottles at once in a pint glass.

Its notorious reputation, which it thrived on.

Long since gone, and fondly remembered are - The Top Hat Club (A.K.A Flying Bottle) The Veteran, The Peel, The Clarence, The Queens, The Courts, The Grapes, The Swan.
Cheers

Wonderwall
wonderwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 17:02   #57
Junior Member+

Ah the Vulcan.......Heady memories of a byegone age.

Sorry folks, you have me a disadvantage. I AM the aforementioned Syd Rawcliffe and guilty on all counts but who are YOU then, Taggy and Redrose? I am intrigued.....But I have one or two ideas.......

Your post came to my attention when three people asked me if I was originally called Simon (A name not used since my teens) and mentioned the website......

I remember drinking wonderful mild and consuming plates of pie and peas in the Vulcan too....The frightening thing is that that was 32 years ago..........
swampbeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 10:52   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbeastie View Post
Ah the Vulcan.......Heady memories of a byegone age.

Sorry folks, you have me a disadvantage. I AM the aforementioned Syd Rawcliffe and guilty on all counts but who are YOU then, Taggy and Redrose? I am intrigued.....But I have one or two ideas.......

Your post came to my attention when three people asked me if I was originally called Simon (A name not used since my teens) and mentioned the website......

I remember drinking wonderful mild and consuming plates of pie and peas in the Vulcan too....The frightening thing is that that was 32 years ago..........
Its frightening me too swampie, but for me its 42 years
Old 21-04-2009, 13:41   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its frightening me too swampie, but for me its 42 years
about 40 fer me, though i did have a spell in 80s when on a coarse at blackburn tech, but things are never the same. the "Ribb" George n Dragon, Vulcan, n Jubilee were all great boozers on a great circuit back in the day.
Old 21-04-2009, 16:18   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
about 40 fer me, though i did have a spell in 80s when on a coarse at blackburn tech, but things are never the same. the "Rib" George n Dragon, Vulcan, n Jubilee were all great boozers on a great circuit back in the day.
Don't forget the good old Dune Horse and The Old Bank cashy, had a phase of going in the Old Bank back in the early 80s, I was a mate of landlord, Geoff Edwardson, who was on the Lancashire County Pool Ass. Committee with me for a few years, he later took a couple of pubs in Accy think he had the Antley for a time and possible the Globe, but I'm not sure, but I bet Taggy knows

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..