Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2009, 08:21   #76
Senior Member+

Re: The Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbeastie View Post
Steady...........
LOL!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-04-2009, 18:02   #77
Junior Member+

Regards!

Beastie
swampbeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 21:13   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
yeah and I tell you what..quite a few of them were bent.. in a criminal way..you get banged up for drunk and dizzy and they would try hard to get you on any theft cases they had not solved..may have changed these days.
I want to make it plain I was not a thief!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 05:32   #79
God Member

the Tophat had it's faults..like the getting chucked down the steps to the mercy of the bouncers at the door.. but they played some tunes up the top room and this one was always on ..

Last edited by Mancie; 25-04-2009 at 05:34.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 16:37   #80
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
full of druggies wasnt it pipples?
Yep it was well known as place to get drugs back then and rockers.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 16:52   #81
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbeastie View Post
Ah the Vulcan.......Heady memories of a byegone age.

Sorry folks, you have me a disadvantage. I AM the aforementioned Syd Rawcliffe and guilty on all counts but who are YOU then, Taggy and Redrose? I am intrigued.....But I have one or two ideas.......

Your post came to my attention when three people asked me if I was originally called Simon (A name not used since my teens) and mentioned the website......

I remember drinking wonderful mild and consuming plates of pie and peas in the Vulcan too....The frightening thing is that that was 32 years ago..........
I remember Syd's front room well.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 11:37   #82

Red Rose.....is me Syd.... Annie in Algarve!!!! only just seen this as I havent been on this site for ages....
Old 23-01-2016, 14:03   #83
Full Member+

My earliest pub experiences were spent in the Vulcan as a fifteen year old. Loved the atmosphere and the people. I have very happy memories of that place.
Old 23-05-2016, 10:41   #84
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Its great to hear that you are now back in touch swampbeastie....i believe Portugal is a nice place to visit!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Official swampbeastie and red rose reunion taking place on the Algarve in January 2017................
swampbeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 18:15   #85

The Courts Hotel.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:44   #86

Similiar tio my DJ at Peepers request...I used tho flit between the Vulcan and there in the mid 7Os..Im trying to compile 20 songs from the Vulcan juke box..I remember just a couple led zep etc.but not as many as i Remember from Peepers..Planet rock radio show do a rockblock of your rock songs for a full hour but they like a bit of a story why you chose the list..Theyve played three of mine this year..A Vulcan selection would go down well for sure.so any one remember what was on the juke box..1975-1979ish..
If you like the Planetrock show send em one of yours..its played 6.00 pm daily on Dab
JC4LAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 15:35   #87

https://www.facebook.com/groups/16746564545/
Theres a I DRANK AT THE VULCAN facebook page ..posted a few of my fav jukebox hits on it...Wish we could set one up for Bold steet Workings mans club....
JC4LAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 01:42   #88
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The Old Bank cashy, had a phase of going in the Old Bank back in the early 80s, I was a mate of landlord, Geoff Edwardson, who was on the Lancashire County Pool Ass. Committee with me for a few years, he later took a couple of pubs in Accy think he had the Antley for a time and possible the Globe

That would be my Dad, he had the Globe first and then The Antley, before those he was at The Volunteers in Clayton, the Top Club. He also did a spell in the Park Darwen, The Forresters in Halsingden, The Oak Tree in Clitheroe, The Seven Stars in Barnoldswick.

The white car he had was a Rover 3.5 Coupe.

I also remember the Vulcan - though I didn't go drinking there till after I was 18 (1980) as all the landlords around knew my Dad and that I also wasn't 18...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..