Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2008, 12:29   #1

Three Stores with Character

I remember three stores in the middle of Accrington with three distinguishing characteristics. Two of them had central cashier systems. One sent invoices and cash accross the store in little containers suspended from wires. On busy shopping days there were lots of those containers whizzing back and forth above the heads of the shoppers. The second store handled the central cashier by way of brass vacuum tubes with cylindrical containers ( and the odd bit of debris inserted by a curious child ) the containers would depart with a whoosh and return with a bang into a basket next to the purchase point.
I think one store was called Baily's and the other was called Moffet's.
The third store I remember had two or three stuffed bears of varying sizes. I believe they were the real deal. I cannot remember that store name but I think it stood at the corner of Abbey street.
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-03-2008, 12:31   #2
God Member

Re: Three Stores with Character

more detail about that can be found in this thread
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ams-35571.html

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 20:04   #3
Junior Member+

Moffitt's had the wire and cable arrangement; Bailey's the vacuum canister system.

Bailey's were on the corner; Moffitt's about halfway between there and the junction with Blackburn Road.

Rgds

John45378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 22:29   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreJoe View Post
I remember three stores in the middle of Accrington with three distinguishing characteristics. Two of them had central cashier systems. One sent invoices and cash accross the store in little containers suspended from wires. On busy shopping days there were lots of those containers whizzing back and forth above the heads of the shoppers. The second store handled the central cashier by way of brass vacuum tubes with cylindrical containers ( and the odd bit of debris inserted by a curious child ) the containers would depart with a whoosh and return with a bang into a basket next to the purchase point.
I think one store was called Baily's and the other was called Moffet's.
The third store I remember had two or three stuffed bears of varying sizes. I believe they were the real deal. I cannot remember that store name but I think it stood at the corner of Abbey street.

There was also one at Saul's in Black Abbey St, still in operation inthe 1960's. His was the last, Moffits and Baileys had gone by the 1950's.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 22:59   #5
God Member

Baileys was still going in the sixties, I used to shop for an old lady and remember going there for her. Was only born in 56 so defo didn't go in there in the fifties.
Old 22-04-2009, 15:10   #6
Junior Member+

I remember Moffitts and Saul's, but can't remember Baileys - What did they sell??
Dizzy Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 23:16   #7
Senior Member+

I remember going into one of these as a child. Not sure whether it was Moffits. A big place on a corner somewhere near the arcade. I used to get neck ache watching them whizzing around but had forgotten all about it.

Apologies for forgetting the names of the streets x

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 20:16   #8
Junior Member+

Reply to DizzyLizzy - Bailey's was haberdashery - fabrics, sewing patterns etc - very similar to Moffitts.

rgds

john 45378
John45378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 21:10   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john 45378
john 45378
Anorak Alert.

You some kind of locomotive, John?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 21:21   #10
Beacon of light

Baileys was still trading in the early sixties.......I only know because a school friends Mum was the one who use to deal with all the money...she sat up in the elevated position overlooking the shop floor and taking the money out of the canisters and issuing receipts.......we used to call in on our way back from school to wave at her.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..