Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 10:36   #1
I am Banned

Tippler toilets

Breaktime office banter in the soft South and nobody here had heard of Tippler Toilets. They took some convincing until I found this link on the Ramsbottom Heritage site

New Page 1
andynlisa and Judith Addison like this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-12-2013, 10:45   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Tippler toilets

Have they heard of 'thunderboxes' ?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:27   #3
God Member

..and garderobes
Garderobe

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:35   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Breaktime office banter in the soft South and nobody here had heard of Tippler Toilets. They took some convincing until I found this link on the Ramsbottom Heritage site

New Page 1
So when we had moved on to tipplers they were still emptying their potties out of the upstairs windows onto passers by? Or nipping round the back to use the pit loo.

Poor devils, glad you're educating them.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:37   #5
Senior Member+

I was the works engineer at Ducketts of Burnley in the early 60's but they had ceased to make the tipplers by then, there were a few old bits and pieces in an out building there.
The main product was earthenware sewer pipes and the old gents urinals which were made by slicing a large pipe down the middle and hand shaping it before glazing it white.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:19   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Have they heard of 'thunderboxes' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
..and garderobes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
So when we had moved on to tipplers they were still emptying their potties out of the upstairs windows onto passers by? Or nipping round the back to use the pit loo.

Poor devils, glad you're educating them.
I am not telling em' yet that back in the early 50's when visiting my maternal Great Grandmother up in Barley Mow, County Durham we had to use an earth privy.
I'll save the graphic description of that until lunchtime
Old 04-12-2013, 12:25   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
I am not telling em' yet that back in the early 50's when visiting my maternal Great Grandmother up in Barley Mow, County Durham we had to use an earth privy.
I'll save the graphic description of that until lunchtime
Preferably while they're eating!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Preferably while they're eating!
Precisely GB
Old 04-12-2013, 12:55   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:

New Page 1

i note that this was posted by D the Pee.
DtheP47 likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 13:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
i note that this was posted by D the Pee.
I thought "Tippler" meant it was something to do with this:
andynlisa likes this.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 15:18   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Uneducated oiks down yon "D" just glad theres someone wi sense to educate the numpties.
Old 04-12-2013, 16:30   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Uneducated oiks down yon "D" just glad theres someone wi sense to educate the numpties.
First time I brought some Cissy Green's down here Ol, I think they thought they was some kind of roadkill pie...."ooo whats that shiny stuff on top" said one "Is it fat?"
Old 04-12-2013, 19:34   #13

I remember our tippler toilet on Stonebridge Lane in the early 70's, it was proper disgusting. In winter it use to freeze up and we used to use long cane sticks to un jam it and then in summer it stunk to high heaven, never again lol.
andynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 19:39   #14
God Member

When I was a child we used to spend weekends at a farm in Ingleton with no mains drains - I have used one - it had a double holed wooden board over the short drop to the pile - YUK!

Why seating for two? - it wasn't as though you would need conversation whilst you did it - anyways you can't converse whilst holding your breath.
Eric and andynlisa like this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 20:10   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
When I was a child we used to spend weekends at a farm in Ingleton with no mains drains - I have used one - it had a double holed wooden board over the short drop to the pile - YUK!

Why seating for two? - it wasn't as though you would need conversation whilst you did it - anyways you can't converse whilst holding your breath.
Our caving hostel was at Braida Garth,Kingsdale Margaret, we had a chemical bog but as callow youths who was gonna chip in any beer money for any Elsan Blue? Les in the Marton Arms got first dibs on our brass, & there were times in high summer when whosoever was elected to empty it had to use a demand valve and diving bottle to breathe as he carried it out.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..