Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 19:51   #1

Toilets

Does anyone still have and use an outside toilet? Who had a longdrop
Claytoner40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-05-2012, 20:05   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Toilets

Moving off at a tangent - name the locations of the public urinals/toilets in the towbn. I'll start off with the urinal in Wheat Street, between Blackburn Rd & Dale St . Me & my mates called in Wee Street. This had nothing to do with the length of the street.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoner40 View Post
Does anyone still have and use an outside toilet? Who had a longdrop
Oh! I remember the longdrop. My gran used to have one in her back yard on Willow St. in Clayton. She used to call it the 'petty' and I was absolutely scared stiff of falling down it( I know that would be impossible, but I was just a kid).
Whatever has made you ask about loos??
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:12   #4

I don't know what made me ask. My mum and dad lived on Willow Street when they were first married and they had a long drop. My wife's uncle lives near Newcastle. He still uses an outside toilet
Old 03-05-2012, 20:28   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
My wife's uncle lives near Newcastle.
Well there you go then, Newcastle ??? say no more.

Right, tick off Geordies as minority group to offend this month !
Old 03-05-2012, 20:31   #6

I've addressed the outside pot myself. It's not pleasant on a cold day.
Old 03-05-2012, 20:47   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I've addressed the outside pot myself. It's not pleasant on a cold day.
A primary school I went to still had outside toilets, during the winter 62/63? The drifts had buried the toilets. With great anticipation we pupils expected to be sent home. No such luck, the caretaker dug a path to each cubicle every morning, if there was any further snow that came down during the day, the boys from the eldest classes were sent out to clear it away again.
None of the toilets could really be used cisterns and pans completely frozen, lead pipes burst and turned off at the mains, but being sent home was never even considered. (most annoying I had a new sledge I wanted to use).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:51   #8

I bet the cold certainly got the nipper offer tightened up
Old 03-05-2012, 20:51   #9
Beacon of light

My mum still has an outside toilet.......she has an inside one as well, but the inside one is upstairs. Fine when she goes to bed, but a trial when needing the loo during the day(she has mobility problems)....so when she is downstairs during the day she goes to the outside loo. It is a water closet, not a long drop.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 21:08   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Moving off at a tangent - name the locations of the public urinals/toilets in the towbn. I'll start off with the urinal in Wheat Street, between Blackburn Rd & Dale St . Me & my mates called in Wee Street. This had nothing to do with the length of the street.
Blackburn Road, opposite the Big Crown, Scaitcliffe Street near the railway bridge, Whalley Road end of Queens Road West, Dutton Street, Burnley Road.
Old 03-05-2012, 22:47   #11
Senior Member+

Long drop? no, we were posh, we had a tippler.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 23:07   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

When i was very young we had a communal backyard -one bog fer all. Can't remember the score wi the coal hole though Twas Number 14 Burnley Rd, the houses on that little row above Ann Parkins shop plus the few houses on the first block of Melbourne St, shared, Everyone who shared that yard were very friendly, n a guy n his wife used to take me oer Whalley Nabs n places in the summer, Happy Days.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:31   #13

My dad often talks about the communal bog they had on Mill Street in Clayton. He said you could always tell when someone had been drinking Lion's bitter
Old 04-05-2012, 08:33   #14
Resting in Peace

Can remember us having a long drop and for my sins I've dug a few out on grant jobs in the sixties, it was a task usually falling on the shoulders of the happyrentice. My family home still had an outside WC up until my Father died in 2003, whether it still has I don't know. Not sure but I would think long drops would be illegal now, elf and safety
Old 04-05-2012, 10:24   #15

Alice Street (where some horrific crime aginst a young boy took place), Blackburn Road near the railway arch (where I once disturbed a sleeping tramp at midday).
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..