Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-12-2015, 11:13   #61
Beacon of light

Re: Weddings /'Over the brush'

That made me chuckle.....but I am sure it wasn't exactly what you needed.......especially for the legal bits.
I think our nuptials took something like five minutes to perform.....there was no music, no pleasant surroundings.....the place was old and quite dark looking(although the fact that it was October and it was pouring with rain might have had something to do with that)....so it didn't seem the most auspicious start.
But heck I wouldn't want to be going through all the organising of a wedding today.
Not that I couldn't do it. I just don't want to.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-12-2015, 13:15   #62
Full Member+

As you said Margaret all you wanted was to marry your man. The excuse these days of not being able to afford a wedding obviously means they cannot afford the 'do' and all the trimmings. No reason why they cant do what you did and just have a registry office wedding. Seems to me now folk think the bigger the better but it does not make a better marriage just means a bigger waste of money when they split up. Not as much staying power these days.
maxthecollie likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 13:23   #63
Full Member+

I sincerely hope you reach your Golden Wedding Margaret. It is an achievement. I remember when my parents had theirs my dad said ' 50 years, bloody train robbers only geet 30yrs and they got some off for good behaviour.' They enjoyed their Diamond Wedding too . Golden Weddings were rare years ago but in recent years there have been many but with couples splitting up nowadays they will be come a rarity again before long.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 13:52   #64
Beacon of light

Yes, you are right.....and many of those 'splitters' are silver splitters
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 07:16   #65

I would have loved to have been at your wedding, Turtle, definitely different from the norm to say the least.
Turtle likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..