Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2018, 06:38   #16

Re: Well, This Took Me Back A Bit!

Cashie, he says although it doesn't actually ring a bell it does ding something so that was probably the place.....but it is a long, long, time ago.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2018, 07:43   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The pie @ Mushy woulda been "Kendalls" dotti, his nibs will probably remember now?

I don't remember Kendalls being open in those days at that time of night.
You could go inside and eat at Wells.
Another eatery at that time of night was the Tower Cafe, a chippy on Blackburn Rd. between Edgar St and the bridge on the same side as the big Crown
Accyborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 11:49   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyborn View Post
Another eatery at that time of night was the Tower Cafe, a chippy on Blackburn Rd. between Edgar St and the bridge on the same side as the big Crown
Fair enough dont recall that un, perhaps gone in my time? the pub dottis on about would be the Spread Eagle? which is still batting today.
Old 28-07-2018, 16:32   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Fair enough dont recall that un, perhaps gone in my time? the pub dottis on about would be the Spread Eagle? which is still batting today.
Oh no it isn't went about 9 months ago.
(And another one bites, another one bites the dust).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 18:20   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Oh no it isn't went about 9 months ago.
(And another one bites, another one bites the dust).
my powers of observation are looking knackered as well then
Less and Accyborn like this.
Old 28-07-2018, 22:26   #21
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyborn View Post
There was also the Chinese above Gibson's sport's shop on that short stretch.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 00:38   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
There was also the Chinese above Gibson's sport's shop on that short stretch.

From memory and I stand to be corrected, there were no Chinese restaurants in Accrington in those days.

Last edited by Accyborn; 29-07-2018 at 00:44.
Old 29-07-2018, 08:32   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

First one i recall was the "King Wah" next to sports shop just before the railway bridge, he got done cos they found dead cats in his fridge. remember reading in accy observer.
Old 30-07-2018, 02:50   #24

[QUOTE=cashman;1215200]First one i recall was the "King Wah" next to sports shop just before the railway bridge, he got done cos they found dead cats in his fridge. remember reading in accy observer.

Last edited by Accyborn; 30-07-2018 at 02:56.
Old 30-07-2018, 03:07   #25

[QUOTE=Accyborn;1215246]
Quote:
First one i recall was the "King Wah" next to sports shop just before the railway bridge, he got done cos they found dead cats in his fridge. remember reading in accy observer.

I think you are spot on there Cashman, I think King Wah was the first one I can remember. I am not sure if it opened when the Tower Cafe closed but it was in the same building.
cashman likes this.
Old 30-07-2018, 09:39   #26

…and still more fond memories come flooding in. Him indoors used to have the odd drink or three (or more) at the Pickup Arms, Spring Hill. Not far from the Pickup Arms was a shop belonging to Gordon and Marion who were good friends of his parents and was where his mother bought sugared almonds to enjoy on her regular evenings at the Palladium or the Empire Cinema. Ah! memories....

He went to Accrington Boys’ Technical College opposite the Palladium, though not sure if he would include that in his fond memories.
Old 31-07-2018, 01:38   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
…and still more fond memories come flooding in. Him indoors used to have the odd drink or three (or more) at the Pickup Arms, Spring Hill. Not far from the Pickup Arms was a shop belonging to Gordon and Marion who were good friends of his parents and was where his mother bought sugared almonds to enjoy on her regular evenings at the Palladium or the Empire Cinema. Ah! memories....

He went to Accrington Boys’ Technical College opposite the Palladium, though not sure if he would include that in his fond memories.

I don't ever remember going in the Pickups Arms Dotti, and we could have been in the pie shop at the same time. But what I do know from what you say, we went to the same school. Could it have been the same time.? I was there from 1946-48 when it's name was Accrington Junior Technical School. We moved from College St. Accrington to the building in Union Rd. in 1947.
Old 31-07-2018, 04:13   #28

Accyborn, he thinks it was around 1948 when he passed the exams to go to the tech but is having a memory lapse today so can't remember exactly. (He was born in 1934). He says was Mr Barr, a maths teacher, there when you were? The school was definitely in Union Road when he was there.
Old 31-07-2018, 04:15   #29

He also recalls a Mrs. Archer being a teacher but can't remember whether she was at the tech or at Spring Hill school where he was a student previously. Long time ago now.
Old 31-07-2018, 05:15   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
He also recalls a Mrs. Archer being a teacher but can't remember whether she was at the tech or at Spring Hill school where he was a student previously. Long time ago now.

Yes Mammy Archer as she was called, was English teacher, J P Barr was the maths teacher. I was born in 1932 so I would have left when your hubby was just starting. When we moved to Union Rd there were only 96 boys in the school. 4 forms, 24 boys in each form, 2 building, 2 engineering, I was in building. Lol Marsden who was a maths teacher at College St took over the principle's job when we moved. I only know of 2 lads that were there at the same time as me that are living today. I was hoping I had found another with your hubby. Not to be.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..