Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2009, 21:18   #16

Re: wellington street

hi jg the chip shop you remember i think was marsdens
annlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2009, 05:39   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
i lived on nelson st in the early nineties
before all the little houses were pulled down to build
acorn lodge and the new flats,cant ever remember a big house
with gates....but what was on the same side as the pop club
where all th gras is now just after the car park ?

will have to stop drinking the bombay on sundays
post should have read
lived on grange st in the early 70s
i was steward of the pop club at the time.

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 07:19   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by annlez View Post
thanks taggy i will pass this on to my friend you don't happen to remember if there was a name to the house at all annlez
No i dont recall there being any name. The front of the House didn't face out onto Wellington Street, it was at the end of a block and faced sideways towards the Pop Club, with a Garden area in front of it. Ive actually been in the house as a kid when it was empty and derelict, think there was about 6 bedrooms. Dont remember anymore than that really.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 08:13   #19
jg
Junior Member+

Thanks Retlaw.
Oh! dear,what a swelling of emotion inside.Where those two people are crossing,that was the corner where we lived.
At the end of the war,after we'd all made it through,my mother passed away after giving birth to my sister Christine.They both died.
Dad crumpled,and spent a lot of his time in the Popular club.He also went to the British legion,a place I remember as being round the corner of Blackburn road to the right near the arches.
Anyway,thanks for the pictures
jg
jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 08:16   #20
jg
Junior Member+

Thanks Annlez,
It could very well have been.I only remember the 'bits' he gave us were tasty because they were cooked in beef dripping.
jg
Old 29-06-2009, 10:24   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
i lived on nelson st in the early nineties
before all the little houses were pulled down to build
acorn lodge and the new flats,cant ever remember a big house
with gates....but what was on the same side as the pop club
where all th gras is now just after the car park ?
Acorn Lodge and the Flats were there when I lived on Nelson Street in the mid 70s beechyjust read your later post beechy
Old 29-06-2009, 12:24   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by annlez View Post
hi jg the chip shop you remember i think was marsdens
I dont actually recall any Chip Shop on the bend in Cotton Street, i might be wrong. Where the bend is as it goes onto Belfield Road used to be a "selling owt" shop for many years, certainly when i was a kid in the 60's. There was a Chippy in that area though, it was on Napier Street just before it joins onto Belfield Road, again this was in the 60's. There was also a Chip Shop called Marsdens, but that was on Marsden Street and was operating certainly in the 70's & 80's!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 29-06-2009, 12:59   #23
jg
Junior Member+

Thanks Taggy,
That was it - Napier street - I remember now.Mind,I'm going back to the 'forties'.
jg
Old 30-06-2009, 01:12   #24
Senior Member+

I remember the chippie on the top end of Napier St, I lived in the confectioners on the corner of Napier and Nelson from about 1950-1955. There was also a selling out shop on the corner of Napier and Royd St. {spelling doesn,t look right**
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 08:26   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
I remember the chippie on the top end of Napier St, I lived in the confectioners on the corner of Napier and Nelson from about 1950-1955. There was also a selling out shop on the corner of Napier and Royd St. {spelling doesn,t look right**
I remember there being Two "Sellys" on opposite corners of the Royds and Napier street crossroad, one was owned by a lady called Mary Capell, she had a dog called Whisky that was great with us kids, but used to chase postmen!! The other was owned by a couple called Albert and Margaret Hargreaves! I lived on Royds Street from 1957 till 1988. I'm trying to recall the confectioners on Napier/nelson but cant bring it to mind, where was it in relation to Pollards workshop? I now live on Avenue Parade, but when we moved here, our next door neighbour was called Kathleen, and i'm sure she also said she worked at at confectioners on Nelson St! My Mum used to work at the Confectioners called Smiths on Cotton Street, they also had another shop of the same name on Abbey Street near where Norths cleaners is.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 30-06-2009, 08:29   #26
jg
Junior Member+

hello Ossykid,
You would remember the Ritz down Church Street then?And further down was the dace-
-hall where Syd Ashmead and his !broadcasting band! used to play.
jg
Old 30-06-2009, 08:42   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg View Post
hello Ossykid,
You would remember the Ritz down Church Street then?And further down was the dace-
-hall where Syd Ashmead and his !broadcasting band! used to play.
jg
Hi jg...well no not really, although ive often heard my parents talk of them. I was actually born in 1957 and lived in Royds Street for the first 31 years of my life!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 30-06-2009, 09:20   #28
jg
Junior Member+

Hi Taggy,
Looks like I am a bit before your time.
The Ritz was a ballroom where we had some great times.And when I was even younger we would go and sit on the 'planks' at the front in the Kings Hall cinema at the bottom
of whalley road.Snooker hall there as well.We were told to stay out of there!
jg
Old 30-06-2009, 09:21   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I remember there being Two "Sellys" on opposite corners of the Royds and Napier street crossroad, one was owned by a lady called Mary Capell, she had a dog called Whisky that was great with us kids, but used to chase postmen!! The other was owned by a couple called Albert and Margaret Hargreaves! I lived on Royds Street from 1957 till 1988. I'm trying to recall the confectioners on Napier/nelson but cant bring it to mind, where was it in relation to Pollards workshop? I now live on Avenue Parade, but when we moved here, our next door neighbour was called Kathleen, and i'm sure she also said she worked at at confectioners on Nelson St! My Mum used to work at the Confectioners called Smiths on Cotton Street, they also had another shop of the same name on Abbey Street near where Norths cleaners is.

Best Regards - Taggy
Remember when I lived on Nelson Street there was a Wibis selly on the corner of Royds St. and I think it was Albert St, I later worked for a shopfitting firm at had the contract for Wibis, they had shops all over Lancs
Old 30-06-2009, 10:37   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Remember when I lived on Nelson Street there was a Wibis selly on the corner of Royds St. and I think it was Albert St, I later worked for a shopfitting firm at had the contract for Wibis, they had shops all over Lancs
Yep thats one of those two shops i was talking about Jaysay, was actually corner of Royds and Napier. It was the one that was owned by Mary Capell, then later became a Wibis. Which stood for Wines, Beers and Spirits if i recall.

There also used to be another Chippy or Pie Shop, i think, down at the bottom end of Napier Street/Grange Street ,close to Wellington Street, this was run by Annie Sudders who was also on the Council at the time, she used to have the nickname of "Pie Annie" in the area. After the Shop closed, her Husband used to sit with the door open playing his accordian!!

Best Regards - Taggy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..