Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2009, 11:02   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: wellington street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yep that's one of those two shops i was talking about Jaysay, was actually corner of Roids and Napier. It was the one that was owned by Mary Capell, then later became a Wibis. Which stood for Wines, Beers and Spirits if i recall.

There also used to be another Chippy or Pie Shop, i think, down at the bottom end of Napier Street/Grange Street ,close to Wellington Street, this was run by Annie Sudders who was also on the Council at the time, she used to have the nickname of "Pie Annie" in the area. After the Shop closed, her Husband used to sit with the door open playing his accordion!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Ya Wibis, Wines Beers and Spirits, its now got me thinking what the guy who owned the business was called, he was an Iranian or something like that, he had this absolutely huge house in its own grounds down the Ribble Valley, must have had nearly 30 outlets I worked on about 15 of them
Old 09-03-2012, 22:05   #32

My Grandad had a shop in Wellington St in the Forties. Dont know a lot about it or where it was on the st. I seem to recall it might have been a leather shop maybe or a shoe repair type shop as my Uncle used to mend shoes for people. It might easily though have been a confectioners type shop as they also had a shop in Holland st as well.

I have looked on a old OS map for 1909 which you can now buy, and it lists a confectioners shop at No. 20 Holland St (Elizabeth Enthwistle) as mentioned above and also ........No. 89 (Thos Holden) and No. 93 (Alice Crook) Wellington St virtually next door to each other. Where would they have been on Wellington St and maybe one of these was my grandads.

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 22:14   #33
Senior Member+

I can't go that far back, but i lived on Royds Street through the late 60's & 70's & off the top of my head can recall a shop, which i think was a Newsagents/Sweet shop on the corner of Wellington Street & Nuttall Street. There was also a shop at the other end too on the corner of Wellington Street & Cotton Street. No idea on the numbers though!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 22:17   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Seem to think the cobblers shop was on Wellington St,opposite side to the Pop Club, near Cotton St?
Old 09-03-2012, 22:27   #35
Senior Member+

Could well be Cashy, where the "new" houses & flats were built, but not something i recall. I know there definitely was a Cobblers on Cotton Street when i was a lad, it was near the Cotton Street Mission!

Best Regards - Taggy

PS...The only other shop i recall on Wellington Street near to Cotton street was a chap who used to repair old Valve Radios & Tv's.
Old 09-03-2012, 22:33   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Could well be Cashy, where the "new" houses & flats were built, but not something i recall. I know there definitely was a Cobblers on Cotton Street when i was a lad, it was near the Cotton Street Mission!

Best Regards - Taggy

PS...The only other shop i recall on Wellington Street near to Cotton street was a chap who used to repair old Valve Radios & Tv's.
Hey it may have been that un Taggy mate,? Ive lost many things the biggest being me memory.
Old 09-03-2012, 22:47   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hey it may have been that un Taggy mate,? Ive lost many things the biggest being me memory.
And me my Sanity!!! Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 09-03-2012, 23:02   #38
I am Banned

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy

That old chap that used to repair radios was on the corner of Wellington St and Cotton St, next to the Electrical Wholesalers.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 23:27   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
That old chap that used to repair radios was on the corner of Wellington St and Cotton St, next to the Electrical Wholesalers.
Retlaw
No he definitely wasn't next to the Electrical Wholesalers (Lionel Robinson), that was another shop, can't quite remember which one, but might have been a General "Selling Owt" shop. The Chap who repaired the radios/TV,s was on the opposite corner, on the terrace with the steps out front.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 09-03-2012, 23:41   #40
Resting In Peace

Quote:
No he definitely wasn't next to the Electrical Wholesalers (Lionel Robinson), that was another shop, can't quite remember which one, but might have been a General "Selling Owt" shop. The Chap who repaired the radios/TV,s was on the opposite corner, on the terrace with the steps out front.

Best Regards - Taggy
Do you mean selling out shop ie an off licence?
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Do you mean selling out shop ie an off licence?
Yep & all kinds of other household & food stuff really, i assume that's why they called them Selling Owt shops, because if you ran out of anything, you could usually get it there!

Best Regards - taggy
Old 10-03-2012, 14:12   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Seem to think the cobblers shop was on Wellington St,opposite side to the Pop Club, near Cotton St?
Could this Cobblers shop have also been a Harness maker as well maybe......??

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:21   #43
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Yep & all kinds of other household & food stuff really, i assume that's why they called them Selling Owt shops, because if you ran out of anything, you could usually get it there!

Best Regards - taggy
Well I may have been labouring under a misapprehension all these years I thought an off licence was referred to as a selling out shop because they sold alcohol to be consumed off the premises ie "out". We lived near the one at the top of Milnshaw lane which in those days only sold alcohol and ciggies and nothing else and we called that a selling out shop. These days it's also a convenience store so your description Taggy would be appropriate now. There was also one further down Whalley Road - Mr Faulkner's, where the vets is now- which did sell anything and everything as well as booze.
tinker n budget likes this.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:41   #44
Resting in Peace

The only off licence I can remember around there, well in the 70s, was the Wibbies shop on the street which ran adjacent to Nelson street, can remember the name
Old 10-03-2012, 16:05   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The only off licence I can remember around there, well in the 70s, was the Wibbies shop on the street which ran adjacent to Nelson street, can remember the name
Yep, before it become Wibis (Wines, Beers, Spirits) Jaysay. it was owned by a woman called Mary Capel, it sold Alcohol then too, appropriately enough she had a Dog called Whisky!! Lol!...It used to let us kids take a ride on its back, but it had a "thing" about uniforms & the Postman used to dread coming along that stretch of Royds Street!

There was actually another off license on Royds Street too, it was on the left hand side going up past Nuttall Street, just before Clement Street. They used to sell Sherry out of a Cask, so you could bring a bottle in to be filled. Later on another corner shop on nuttall street i think sold alcohol too, it was the one straight across from "Freds Butchers" which later became a chippy!

Best Regards - Taggy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..