Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2009, 19:05   #1

wellington street

wonder if anybody can help a friend has asked me if i could find out about an old house he remembers very near where the pop club now stands it would be nice to give him an answer i can't remember it but im sure somebody does
annlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-06-2009, 19:11   #2
God Member

Re: wellington street

There are a lot of houses near the Pop Club, can you give us any more info about where you mean?
Old 28-06-2009, 09:22   #3
jg
Junior Member+

Hello,
I used to live at 92 Wellington street as a little boy.They were quite old houses,so,I think they may have been demolished now.
jg
jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 09:54   #4

his sorry for not being more specific he says it was a biggish house with gates and a large garden
Old 28-06-2009, 10:03   #5
jg
Junior Member+

I do not understand the message.
What large house?
jg
Old 28-06-2009, 10:12   #6
Resting in Peace

I lived on Nelson Street in the mid 70s for a while and can't remember an house like that even then
Old 28-06-2009, 11:55   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by annlez View Post
his sorry for not being more specific he says it was a biggish house with gates and a large garden
Can't you be more specific, ie, which side when coming from Church St end, where abouts on the block, ends or middle. Before Nuttall St or after Nuttall St.
Theres over 50 odd houses still standing, both sides, so about is no good.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 14:33   #8
jg
Junior Member+

I lived next to the last house (92) on wellington street,which was just across from nuttall
street 92 was on the left.Round the corner on the left,Spring Gardens,I think it's called now was an air-raid shelter.At the bottom of Nuttall street was a small shop.I had a friend who lived in Nuttall street.He name was Bobby Rushton I think.
I remember sneaking into a sweet factory which had a downspout that had syrup leaking
from the bottom!This was at the bottom of Cotton street.
I also used to go to the Ritz cinema nearby.
jg
Old 28-06-2009, 15:47   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg View Post
I lived next to the last house (92) on wellington street,which was just across from nuttall
street 92 was on the left.Round the corner on the left,Spring Gardens,I think it's called now was an air-raid shelter.At the bottom of Nuttall street was a small shop.I had a friend who lived in Nuttall street.He name was Bobby Rushton I think.
I remember sneaking into a sweet factory which had a downspout that had syrup leaking
from the bottom!This was at the bottom of Cotton street.
I also used to go to the Ritz cinema nearby.
jg
That place were known as Toffee Hodsons.

Retlaw.
Old 28-06-2009, 16:18   #10
jg
Junior Member+

There was a fish and chip shop on a slight bend in Cotton street,where the owner would sometimes give us kids 'bits'.
Old 28-06-2009, 18:16   #11
Senior Member+

i lived on nelson st in the early nineties
before all the little houses were pulled down to build
acorn lodge and the new flats,cant ever remember a big house
with gates....but what was on the same side as the pop club
where all th gras is now just after the car park ?

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 19:04   #12

sorry about the lack of details i've put on but it was a friend who says he remembers playing in the garden as a boy was there anything near there that had large gates and garden sorry i can't give more details
Old 28-06-2009, 19:08   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by annlez View Post
sorry about the lack of details i've put on but it was a friend who says he remembers playing in the garden as a boy was there anything near there that had large gates and garden sorry i can't give more details
Theres Nowt till you get to Oak Hill Park.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wellington St. 1910..jpg (187.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Wellington St. 1985..jpg (116.2 KB, 47 views)
annie59 likes this.
Old 28-06-2009, 20:30   #14
Senior Member+

Yep i can remember the big house that you are talking about. It was on the land where the Concert Room of the Pop club now stands. It was owned by an old lady who died. I can then remember it being rented out, but it fell into a state of disrepare later, and was empty for quite some time. It was later demolished...i think in the 1960's, and until planning permission was given to the Pop club for the Building you now see, the land was often used for a large Bonfire on Bonfire Night!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 21:16   #15

thanks taggy i will pass this on to my friend you don't happen to remember if there was a name to the house at all annlez

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..