Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-12-2012, 20:43   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Wellington Street

Here I am, and yes, there indeed WAS a sideways cottage with a garden infront of it. This was my area of town when I was growing up, as was DtheP47. It was known as Poplar Cottage I believe, and so thats why the club is so named. I think the lady who last lived there was a Miss Rushton, who attended Christ Church. I just have a vague memory of her.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-12-2012, 20:55   #32
Senior Member+

or ... it may have been known as Wellington Cottage. Its such a long time ago, but .. I will try and find out, but, it certainly existed. I am thinking she was maybe Miss Rishton, rather than Rushton. The house I seem to recall had a porchway and the whole of the frontage of the house faced down the length of Wellington Street, in the direction of the police station. So image the windows and doors etc on the gable end of the Pop Club as you know it now.

Last edited by Atarah; 20-12-2012 at 20:57.
Old 20-12-2012, 21:26   #33
Resting In Peace

Thank you so much Atarah. I am so glad I am not going mad. You have described it perfectly. Wish there was a phot to see. Now that you mention it, I think it was called Wellington Cottage. Thanks aain.
Old 20-12-2012, 21:27   #34
Resting In Peace

Cant spell. Again!!
Old 20-12-2012, 21:34   #35
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Here I am, and yes, there indeed WAS a sideways cottage with a garden infront of it. This was my area of town when I was growing up, as was DtheP47. It was known as Poplar Cottage I believe, and so thats why the club is so named. I think the lady who last lived there was a Miss Rushton, who attended Christ Church. I just have a vague memory of her.
Hi Atarah.
The Poplar Club was in existence long before then, they have a WW1 Roll of Honour, so it could have been your Welly Bob Cottage.
What we need is some photos, what have you got in your collection.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 22:53   #36
Senior Member+

Well done Atarah, good memory. There were in fact both Poplar Cottage and Wellington Cottage next door to each other at # 140 Wellington St in the 1881 census.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 00:37   #37
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindashanks2 View Post
I dont remember a Back Atlas Street or back Wellington Street. I moved to Woodnook in 1952 when I was 3. The image I have in my mind is definitely the bottom of Napier Street. Glad your brain cells are working DtheP47!
Nooo it's my mistake back Wellington Street it was.....blame it on jetlag...
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 11:41   #38
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Was there a butchers shop there also? Or was that on the corner of Napier and Grange St? I know I had to get my grandma a sheep head there every Friday for her tea. I had to clean for her and chop wood while the stinking thing cooked and then put it on a plate for her, I tried to get out before she ate the eyeballs??? She lived to 93? I can see that little cottage now Linda, the cottage was to the right facing towards Cotton St with a garden in front of it and wrought iron railing on a low wall. Or am I dreaming?

Yes it was Tommy Murray's on the corner of Napier and Grange that then moved to where Retlaw says.... Derek Somebody worked for Tommy took it on. Derek ??? red haired chap ?? eh Atarah?
Old 21-12-2012, 16:25   #39
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindashanks2 View Post
I do remember the houses below street level. Used to swing on the railings!
Yes but did you ever lick toffee off the pipe in the back outside Stockley’s factory on Cotton Street. “Euuuggh” says the current Mrs P. It was a black vertical pipe running down the wall from the upper floor terminating at a screwed blanking plug just above head high and this brown unctuous stuff dripped from sometimes
Colin Rawnsley used to tell us it was pure toffee and Eric Bannister fell for it every time. I used to tell my sisters it was a toffee fountain. I suppose with the benefit of hindsight, it was where the molasses were piped into the factory but then again maybe it was a waste product discharge. Double Euuuuggs from Mrs P ....Tasted OK and although some on here would disagree it had no apparent long term effects. :-7
More confessions about Stockleys later, I just need to check if the statute of limitations can be invoked.
Old 21-12-2012, 16:34   #40
Beacon of light

My brothers used to do that,(lick the end of the pipe at Toffee Hodgsons) but I thought it was disgusting.
I'm with the other Mrs P here.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 16:43   #41
Resting In Peace

I only did that once. Yuk. We used to play round the big chimney and sometimes they would come out from Stockleys and give us broken sweets. Those were the days.
Old 21-12-2012, 18:45   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Yes but did you ever lick toffee off the pipe in the back outside Stockley’s factory on Cotton Street. “Euuuggh” says the current Mrs P. It was a black vertical pipe running down the wall from the upper floor terminating at a screwed blanking plug just above head high and this brown unctuous stuff dripped from sometimes
Colin Rawnsley used to tell us it was pure toffee and Eric Bannister fell for it every time. I used to tell my sisters it was a toffee fountain. I suppose with the benefit of hindsight, it was where the molasses were piped into the factory but then again maybe it was a waste product discharge. Double Euuuuggs from Mrs P ....Tasted OK and although some on here would disagree it had no apparent long term effects. :-7
More confessions about Stockleys later, I just need to check if the statute of limitations can be invoked.
Would that be the Eric Bannister who is early 60s? n stands wi me up the Stanley.
Old 23-12-2012, 11:07   #43
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Would that be the Eric Bannister who is early 60s? n stands wi me up the Stanley.
The very one Mr C As a lad we just called him "Banni" he aquired the nickname "the Beast" when he started seving his time, I think at Clayton Goodfellows in Blackburn. Never did know why he got that nickname?
Old 23-12-2012, 11:44   #44

That map is fascinating! Is there any date for the map?

My grandma and grandad Southworth lived on Grange Lane opposite the Perseverance Mill and great-grandad Southworth had a Tripe-dressing shop on Cotton Street and also ran a Tripe Stall in the Market Hall.

That 'Football Ground' at the bottom of Robert Nuttall Street, could it be where the original 'Accrington FC' played when they became founder member's of the Football League? According to my husband, who has a book of the history of the club, they first played at Wood Nook.
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 12:00   #45
Senior Member+

Hi, hey, I just love to know where the descendants of some of our famous market folk are! Southworths tripe stall! A gem in our history! Somewhere I have the most amazing newspapers cutting about the Southworths tripe stall and it even shows a Mr Southworth - think the article is from the early 1960's, I will search hard to find it for you! It could even be your rellie on the photo!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..