Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-12-2012, 12:22   #46
Resting In Peace

Re: Wellington Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeylass View Post
That map is fascinating! Is there any date for the map?

My grandma and grandad Southworth lived on Grange Lane opposite the Perseverance Mill and great-grandad Southworth had a Tripe-dressing shop on Cotton Street and also ran a Tripe Stall in the Market Hall.

That 'Football Ground' at the bottom of Robert Nuttall Street, could it be where the original 'Accrington FC' played when they became founder member's of the Football League? According to my husband, who has a book of the history of the club, they first played at Wood Nook.
If you mean the map in post 9 it's 1890. There are more here:

Lancashire County Council: Environment Directorate: Old Maps
pompeylass likes this.
Old 23-12-2012, 12:24   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
The very one Mr C As a lad we just called him "Banni" he aquired the nickname "the Beast" when he started seving his time, I think at Clayton Goodfellows in Blackburn. Never did know why he got that nickname?
Never heard that un before, will ask him on way to Bradford Boxing Day.
Old 23-12-2012, 12:44   #48
I am Banned

Quote:
That map is fascinating! Is there any date for the map?

My grandma and grandad Southworth lived on Grange Lane opposite the Perseverance Mill and great-grandad Southworth had a Tripe-dressing shop on Cotton Street and also ran a Tripe Stall in the Market Hall.
Thomas Henry Southworth
Pte. 20949. 11th East Lancs.
Enlisted 8-June-1915, age 27, occupation Tripe Dresser,
next of kin Hannah Southworth (wife) 25 Grange Lane, Accrington.
Three Children, Alice, Doris, & John Thomas

Discharged 5-01-1917, ill health
pompeylass likes this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 23-12-2012 at 12:49.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 12:53   #49
Senior Member+

Wellington Street

This is for you DtheP47 - to remind you of your youth.
Merry Xmas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wellingtonstreet.jpg (166.2 KB, 41 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 13:19   #50
Beacon of light

That brought some memories back for me too.
I used to walk past this papershop on my way to PeelPark school......used to linger there to look at the goodies in the window..especially at Christmas time.
I once saved my bus fares and bought my Mum a gold coloured brooch for Christmas......it was nine shilling and sixpence.
She put it on her best coat...her going to mass coat.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 13:29   #51

Aye! That's the one, Retlaw.

His ill-health was chronic arthritis.

Auntie Alice was the eldest, then come Doris, Thomas, Jack, Ellen (Nellie), Frank and then my mum, Edna, the youngest. He might have had chronic arthritis but he managed to beget four more children.

It would be great to see what you could come up with, Atarah. Grandad Southworth was too ill to run the stall in the Market Hall so he and another brother sold their shares to the remaining brother.

Sheila and Barry
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 14:30   #52
I am Banned

Quote:
Aye! That's the one, Retlaw.

His ill-health was chronic arthritis.
That was not the reason he was discharged.
Auntie Alice was the eldest, then come Doris, Thomas, Jack, Ellen (Nellie), Frank and then my mum, Edna, the youngest. He might have had chronic arthritis but he managed to beget four more children.

It would be great to see what you could come up with, Atarah. Grandad Southworth was too ill to run the stall in the Market Hall so he and another brother sold their shares to the remaining brother.

Sheila and Barry
Not all his records have survived.
pompeylass likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 15:03   #53
Senior Member+

Wellington Street

Hi! Instead of cleaning for Xmas, I have been searching for the Southworth article! tee hee. But, I HAVE found it!
Its from the Observer and is actually from 1984, I will pm you about it . I will start another thread, then the tripe story does not overlap with this Wellington St thread.
pompeylass likes this.
Old 23-12-2012, 15:05   #54

Hi Susie are you cousin to Margaret (nee Southworth) lived on Barnes St we played together as children,her mum ran tripe stall in Hassy for years.
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 15:15   #55
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassy rvr View Post
Hi Susie are you cousin to Margaret (nee Southworth) lived on Barnes St we played together as children,her mum ran tripe stall in Hassy for years.
Think you mean Sheila not Susie.
pompeylass likes this.
Old 23-12-2012, 16:23   #56

Sorry Hassy but I have no recollection of a 'Margaret' on my Southworth side, but I'm hoping to make a visit in March when I'll have a chance to do some research at Accy Library.

Thanks, Susie, for the maps. They're really great. If the date is 1890 of that map, then that football ground must be where the original Accrington FC played in 1888 when the Football League started.

Sheila and Barry
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 18:02   #57
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
This is for you DtheP47 - to remind you of your youth.
Merry Xmas
Thanks Atarah ..Seasons Greetings to You and yours too..

Southworths ? any connection to the Southworths who ran the Post Office on Nuttall Street. Did I see the lady's obit' in the Observer recently?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 20:32   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Think you mean Sheila not Susie.
Sorry yes realised after posting.
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 19:52   #59
Senior Member+

For Margaret, Linda and June, I lived on the corner of Nelson St and Napier St through the early 50s and walked to St Annes via Wellington St. I used to call on an old chap on the corner of South St and Wellington, I called him owd Jack and visited him every day as did my sisters and many other kids, would be frowned on today, he was quite a character who made a mean brew. Looking back I,m guessing he would have been in his 70s. Just wondered if you ever met him.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 21:04   #60
Senior Member+

Wellington Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
I used to call on an old chap on the corner of South St and Wellingtont, I called him owd Jack and visited him every day as did my sisters and many other kids, would be frowned on today, he was quite a character who made a mean brew. Looking back I,m guessing he would have been in his 70s. Just wondered if you ever met him.
Hi you must mean what I call the bottom part of South Street, if you mention it being the corner of Wellington Street. Really cant think who you mean. I lived at the top end of South Street, nr Trevor Cunliffe who played as a drummer in a group, and near David Pickup and his family. I always remember a rather "rough" family who lived between Littlefairs newsagents and what must be the corner you are describing. They were rather "loud" and one of their sayings was "as ti shut doooer?" Funnily enough I can still recognise the family all these years later. My first true love was also a paperboy at Littlefairs, he and his brothers (the Hymes family) were all part of my younger life, meeting them outside the shop and walking with them to school, me to the Accrington High School for Girls and they to Hyndburn Park. Later, when we had all become proper pals, going to the Youth Club with them on a Friday night at Royds Street, playing table tennis and having lovely, innocent, nights out together.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..